Smart Car of America Forum banner

Passion for $10k or less!

Wanted: 
16K views 159 replies 33 participants last post by  Miss Mercedes 
#1 ·
After figuring out that my credit union offers fantastic auto loans (even person to person) I might as well jump right into this.

I found a ton of smarts for sale on SmartMadness' page, but they're like 5mo old so who knows if they're still even for sale :(

I'm looking for a passion for $10k or less, preferably in good condition :D

Options and colors are no worry...

#2 ·
Neon,

Today, there are 54 vehicles listed on autotrader.com and 33 have the word passion in the description...might be a good place to start...

Most would require you to drive a bit...only 2 are within 200 miles of you (Indiana). 7 within 300 miles and there is a Cabrio in Stillwater, MN

Good luck

#5 ·
Wow, donsgal - you've only been at this a little while, and that was an excellent insight to give young Neon. I totally agree - Neon, you need a car in excellent condition, the lower the miles, the better. In the grand scheme of things, a $12,000 loan on a car in great condition is a much better idea than a -$10,000 one with high miles in unknown condition. More cars are coming off lease all the time, and that should mean lots of 2009's and 2010's (soon) in your price range. Those who lease are usually pretty faithful at bringing the car in for factory maintenance, to avoid penalties when they turn the car in. At least, that's my experience. Good luck with your search!

#8 ·
Pures are too much work (which means more money)...I'd have to rid of that steering wheel and locate accessories...I'd rather get a low end passion and build from there.

As for mileage, all of the ones I found on sm's classifieds are under 30k mi, but yes, lower equals better.

The reason I'm going $10k and lower is because any higher I'd need a cosigner, and anyone I know who could has the worst credit on planet earth.

#10 ·
Already planned for that. As of now I have a trade in (like said before, my CU doesn't require a down payment unless I'm going after something above $10k) and if I wait until January I'll also have $2000.

My little Kia is pissing me off though, if it isn't my new belt breaking, it's overheating, or blowing out smoke, leaking out fluids, not going into gear, and maybe even grenading...Sounds like a freaking DIESEL!!! :eek:

#20 ·
all that from a Korean car? :wink:

You will get a better deal from a private party, if you can find one, and since most dealers aren't [apparently] giving top dollar for smarts, I think you should be able to get something decent for $10K. Good luck on your search. Also, I've seen quite a few 450s for that [and less] -- some with very low miles; so, it just depends on what you're looking for.

#16 · (Edited)
No go on that one. Check out the photos. The Tridion has a deep scrape and crinkle on one side and a few dents on the other. The left headlamp case is shattered and pushed in and the front left fender is cracked through. Plus she's missing the lower front valence as well as fog light fills and a side mirror. Repairing the damaged panels, mirror, headlamp, and the tridion may be cost ineffective...And there may be underlying damage on that front end. :(

As for my CU, they were concerned mainly because my credit is newly established. To get the best rate I'd have to get a cosigner or choose a cheaper vehicle.

I want to shoot for this car:

http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car/default.html?AVi=5&id=7509669&N=4294963242&D=60&zip=60030&pD=0&pI=0&pT=400&pC=200&pB=0&No=0&Ep=homepage:homepage%20Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=966+9&Q=a5ec576c-ac89-434d-b1e7-3d133c468873

It's in my $10k ballpark, I like the color combo, it's nearby and it's by CarMax so I know what I'm going into.

I'll call tomorrow and head up there on Sunday.

#18 ·
No go on that one. Check out the photos. The Tridion has a deep scrape and crinkle on one side and a few dents on the other. The left headlamp case is shattered and pushed in and the front left fender is cracked through. Plus she's missing the lower front valence as well as fog light fills and a side mirror. Repairing the damaged panels, mirror, headlamp, and the tridion may be cost ineffective...And there may be underlying damage on that front end. :(

As for my CU, they were concerned mainly because my credit is newly established. To get the best rate I'd have to get a cosigner or choose a cheaper vehicle.

I want to shoot for this car:

2008 Smart Fortwo Passion in Milwaukee, WI- 7509669 at carmax.com

It's in my $10k ballpark, I like the color combo, it's nearby and it's by CarMax so I know what I'm going into.

I'll call tomorrow and head up there on Sunday.
Good luck, Neon. Try to stay objective. Keep us posted.:)

#19 · (Edited)
Well if you will go up to $11k....you will love this one...silver Brabus...and it is closer...with less miles

Cars for Sale: 2009 smart fortwo passion in Chicago, IL 60660: Coupe Details - 306757492 - AutoTrader.com
Half the mileage, cheaper (by a couple hundo), fully loaded, and CLOSER?
Clean CarFax too. And I won't have to deal with out of state stuff either.

Candy store scenario :( :)

Okay then, going to Chicago! :D

I see it's missing the BRABUS decal on the fuel door, no biggie, I would get that color matched anyway.

#21 ·
Heh, as far as a first car goes, I have nothing to complain about, many teens are worse off (missing windows, major rust, major damage, major mechanical issue, etc.) than me. But I never planned to keep the thing and I might as well get rid of it before it eats another belt and starts to permanently belch out blue smoke.

Oh, and it's full of 4 stroke motorcycle oil :eek:

I'd love a 450...But with limited income and extremely expensive service on Euro imports in my area, it'll be safer to shoot for a 451.

#31 ·
Stupid question...why is this in my thread???

This has nothing to do with passions* (or BRABUS at this point :D) for $10k.
*Well, excluding the BRABUS 17" pothole post.

Update: The Chicago Toyota dealer is closed today... :(

#33 · (Edited)
Actually, it's a real question related to your topic. It was in relation to the brabus tires because they're customized.

I would honestly get the yellow cabrio, I mean how you gonna beat a convertible for THAT price?! It will be in your budget and paying it off will be nothing to your budget. Plus that color is REALLY rare. Something about yellow just stands out, especially at nighttime! :)

#41 ·
So first my lame credit union denies me this morning (meh, more than 1 bank in the world), then I call ahead to Chicago Toyota only to hear they're making a deal on that BRABUS as I spoke to the salesman!

Well, there's still that one from CarMax...48k mi is a tad on the high side though...

#42 ·
Neon, I know this is a disappointment, but not only is there more than one bank, there are also a lot more used smarts out there, more all the time - and when the time is right, you'll get the right one. (To make this sound completely like something my father would say, insert "hold your horses!" in front of the above statement) :)

MikeB1, bustin' out the fatherly advice...

#44 ·
Whew...That was an odd day...

So, they called back and the car was still there! I rushed to chicago to go ahead on with the deal.

I had 20% down
I had perfect income
I had 12 references

What I didn't have was credit. Have my credit been none like the dealer had believed, this post would be a lot brighter. Instead upon running my credit, my parent's past again haunts me. They say I was born in 1985, had a bankruptcy in 2005, and owe every utility company in the area at least $1k.

So in the end, my credit...ISN'T my credit...

In order for me to get a smart I have to get to work on clearing this phony credit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.