Trailer Hitch Special from Smart Car Universe - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trailer Hitch Special from Smart Car Universe

Thanks to great sales, we have been able to order higher quantity from our factory, reducing production costs and we are passing the savings directly on to you.
We are offering the complete trailer hitch package for $499.00. Originally $580.00 This includes our NO DRILLING, Bolt On re-enforced trailer hitch system, all fittings, and complete Smart Car wiring kit with self power, circuit protection, and 20 amp output. Our 11 page full color no brainer installation manual makes installation a synch.

The Smart Car Universe Class 1 Trailer hitch was designed and tested by Smart Car Owner Les McDonald, and in the last 2 years, it has undergone 4 revisions to make it the best fitting trailer hitch in the market place today.
This hitch installs and fits like factory or your money back!
Key Benefits.
Strength. Our hitches are the strongest available and have been re-enforced to handle the added torsion from bike racks and external storage systems.
Durability. Our hitches are rust treated and then powder coated for lasting rust protection and finish. Our long term tests, over two years prove that our hitches don't rust, period.
Placement. Our hitch sits at an optimal height for towing, and especially for bike racks and external storage systems like the Autolinx Carrier system available on our site.
Visual Appeal. Our hitches powder coating matches your rear plastic valance and is very unobtrusive.
For more information visit our hitch section on our website.
Hitches are in stock and ready to ship now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Supporting Tuner
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice, simple design, looks easier to fit with less messing and the price is very reasonable.
BUT...
I wouldn't cut a hole in my valance to fit one plus the receiver is too obvious when not towing.

www.evilution.co.uk - The home of 451 mods, fixes, ideas and information.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Valance hole

Thanks for your great feedback Evilution! It is a very easy install I assure you. However, the valance is only $79.00 to replace if you ever needed to. The soft plastic is really easy to cut with a box cutter blade. Since it is a class 1 receiver style hitch, when you take out the hitch ball arm, it's very low profile and very subtle appearance wise. We are currently designing some nice hitch covers so keep your eyes out for those!
Cheers.
Les
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart hitch 2.jpg
Views:	19994
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	487  

Last edited by Smart Car Universe; 09-06-2008 at 11:46 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 11:47 AM

A UHaul hitch is $189 & a wiring kit is about $5. Sure, you need to drill a hole and widen another, but the price difference pays you well for that effort.

Rick
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartist View Post
A UHaul hitch is $189 & a wiring kit is about $5. Sure, you need to drill a hole and widen another, but the price difference pays you well for that effort.

Rick
After taking time to compare the two, I would not pick the U-haul even though its cheaper. I don't like that you can see it under the car. The U-Haul also appears to be lower than the rear axle (trouble one day) I would pay for the more "clean" look.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwodzz View Post
After taking time to compare the two, I would not pick the U-haul even though its cheaper. I don't like that you can see it under the car. The U-Haul also appears to be lower than the rear axle (trouble one day) I would pay for the more "clean" look.
Everybody to their own opinion - I would buy the cheaper...you aint gonna see it from inside
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I installed the SCU hitch a while ago

I paid the big bucks and installed the SCU hitch before 1) the price drop & 2) the U-Haul hitch was available. Since then Max has towed our Rack and Roll trailer with 2 kayaks and sometimes the 2 bikes over 2500 miles. The only problem was when I tried to use a hitch mount bike rack and the bent the hitch. A problem that SCU has fixed in the new versions. In fact Les replaced the hitch for nothing including shipping. That said if I were going to buy today I would still purchase the SCU version over the U-Haul one based on past experience with U-Haul hitches. One of the main things I hate living in the North East is RUST ANYWHERE. Back in 95 I purchased a then new Ford Explorer (the only American car I have owned in my 58 years on the planet). Had a U-Haul hitch installed. In less than one year RUST appeared on both the hitch and explorer frame. Couldn't wait to pay it off and trade it in... for more reasons than just the rust however. It appears the SCU hitch has such a good power coat rust shouldn't be a problem. The other issue is the hitch location and hight. The SCU install is a much cleaner design. IMO.

However, which way you go... enjoy your purchase. With a hitch and a trailer/hitch mount rack etc. you will get more use out of your smart. Now Max gets to play all the games... yaking, biking and yes even trips to the home depot. Here's a shot of Max at the boat launch at Eagle Lake in Acadia National Park yesterday.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Supporting Tuner
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Car Universe View Post
I assure you. However, the valance is only $79.00 to replace if you ever needed to. The soft plastic is really easy to cut with a box cutter blade.
The valance is even cheaper in UK, I have already have a few and have cut up 1 of them, they are easy to cut.

It is a shame the receiver can't be more recessed enough to be hidden behind the valance. The valance can be removed very easily and replaced without removing the rear panels. This means if it was more recessed it could be hidden with a new valance when not towing but revealed quickly and easily when required.

I'm also worried about point loading in the case of a rear collision.
The standard crashbar spreads the load over 2 points but with that replaced with this towbar, the collision force is centered meaning it could fold and damage the tridion behind it.

www.evilution.co.uk - The home of 451 mods, fixes, ideas and information.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM

I have been rear ended by a Ford F-150 with my SCU hitch installed. It was a pretty good smack, and I had to replace the rear plastic and rear fenders from scratches but my frame had no damage whatsoever. I think the hitch really helped. The hitch had bent from the impact and SCU gave me my replacement at dealer cost. I didn't expect that but I sure appreciated it. I've got the updated one too and the re-enforcements look really beefy. I have ordered other parts from SCU and they have always answered the phone, and my questions in very promt order.
I don't think the receiver sticks out too far either, and really, you need to have the safety chain holers and the pin hole outside so I don't see how it could be recessed any further. The important thing for me outside of cosmetics is the height. I don't see how a hitch that sits as low as the U-Haul one could possibly be of much use. I can't imagine using it for a bike rack or something like that.
I had a dodge dakota in the past, and installed a U-Haul hitch, and it started to rust within a month of having it put in, and after my first winter it looked horrible. It was an eyesore on my truck. My SCU hitch has been on my car for two years and has no rust at all. It's really a nice looking and well made unit. When I got it out of the box, I was really impressed with how well made it is. I'm not a master mechanic, but I was able to do the install myself.
Price seems to come up but I know from exprience you get what you pay for.
Does the U-Haul hitch include wiring? The wiring kit that came with my SCU hitch has worked really well and I like the fact that it all came all together. I like knowing that my modulator has circuit protection. I don't want to screw up my electronics!
All in all, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM

maybe a lot of the issue is affordability.
id prefer the 1 1/4" size in the higher location with wiring for the least money.

Tags
class 1 hitch , smart car trailer hitch , trailer hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode