Trailer Hitch Special from Smart Car Universe - Page 2 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Sorry for the threadjack, this is not a UHaul vs. SCU post)

You stated in another post that you just had the hitch installed, then you have had it on for 2 years AND been in an accident with it? Fishy?

Shouldn't insurance have covered the cost of the replacement hitch (instead of getting it at dealer cost)?

I really hope that CalgarySmart is not somehow affiliated with SCU since all his/her posts have been praising SCU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Smart View Post
I have been rear ended by a Ford F-150 with my SCU hitch installed. It was a pretty good smack, and I had to replace the rear plastic and rear fenders from scratches but my frame had no damage whatsoever. I think the hitch really helped. The hitch had bent from the impact and SCU gave me my replacement at dealer cost. I didn't expect that but I sure appreciated it. I've got the updated one too and the re-enforcements look really beefy. I have ordered other parts from SCU and they have always answered the phone, and my questions in very promt order.
I don't think the receiver sticks out too far either, and really, you need to have the safety chain holers and the pin hole outside so I don't see how it could be recessed any further. The important thing for me outside of cosmetics is the height. I don't see how a hitch that sits as low as the U-Haul one could possibly be of much use. I can't imagine using it for a bike rack or something like that.
I had a dodge dakota in the past, and installed a U-Haul hitch, and it started to rust within a month of having it put in, and after my first winter it looked horrible. It was an eyesore on my truck. My SCU hitch has been on my car for two years and has no rust at all. It's really a nice looking and well made unit. When I got it out of the box, I was really impressed with how well made it is. I'm not a master mechanic, but I was able to do the install myself.
Price seems to come up but I know from exprience you get what you pay for.
Does the U-Haul hitch include wiring? The wiring kit that came with my SCU hitch has worked really well and I like the fact that it all came all together. I like knowing that my modulator has circuit protection. I don't want to screw up my electronics!
All in all, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Car Universe View Post
Thanks to great sales, we have been able to order higher quantity from our factory, reducing production costs and we are passing the savings directly on to you.
We are offering the complete trailer hitch package for $499.00. Originally $580.00
Reminds me of my first IBM PC back in the early 80's. Drove over to Orlando to buy it and heard the 10% price reduction announcement as I was driving home with my new toy...

UPS shows my hitch as passing through Jacksonville on it's way for an on-time delivery today. Now that the Tampa smart gathering has been pushed up from the 20th to the 13th, it looks like I've got to get busy and find some time this week to do the installation.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM

Garage
It took two of us three and a half hours to install the hitch, but not the wiring. It would have gone faster if we had not had to make two trips out to the store...the first one to replace the brake light bulb we broke when we dropped the light assembly on removal of the rear panel and the second one to grab a tool we needed to get the two backward installed bolts that hold the bumper in place. It also would have gone faster if we hadn't had to fiddle with the driver side valiance to get it back in place at the end.

It came out looking VERY nice and about all I need to do is trim up the hole we cut in the lower rear valiance so it looks a little more professional....that and figure out how to get at the backup light that doesn't work now... it was on the same side as the brake light we broke, so I'd be willing to bet the filament is shot in it. I hear rumor I should be able to get at it without disassembling the entire back half of the car again.

My buddy commented that the hitch assembly looked a lot more substantial than the bumper cross member it replaced.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
You stated in another post that you just had the hitch installed, then you have had it on for 2 years AND been in an accident with it? Fishy?
Shouldn't insurance have covered the cost of the replacement hitch (instead of getting it at dealer cost)?

I really hope that CalgarySmart is not somehow affiliated with SCU since all his/her posts have been praising SCU...
Unquote:

Wow, conspiracy theories exhist in the strangest places. I am affiliated with SCU as a very satisfied customer.

In the court of this forum I guess I should explain two things. First of all, I didn't go through insurance for the accident claim as the damage was not enough for me to justify it. The other party was happy to pay cash. Secondly, the other hitch was on my car for two years. (I've had my Smart for Three Years now.) I did just install the updated hitch which only came online about a month ago I believe. I didn't care to talk about my accident etc... until I saw the postings with relevant issues. Sure I only have good things to say about SCU. I don't know about anyone else, but there isn't a lot of good customer service in the city I live in any more and when you get it you tell people about it.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post
The valance is even cheaper in UK, I have already have a few and have cut up 1 of them, they are easy to cut.
What, if anything, did you use to trim around the cutout?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2016 Bike Rack

I had no trouble finding an inexpensive bike rack that worked for my 2009 Smart. Just bought a 2016 last week and can't find anything even from the dealer - any suggestions would be appreciated!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarao View Post
I had no trouble finding an inexpensive bike rack that worked for my 2009 Smart. Just bought a 2016 last week and can't find anything even from the dealer - any suggestions would be appreciated!
The UHAUL design center in Tempe, AZ responded to me about the 453. No plans for now, but would let me know if things change.... Regarding a hitch that is....
The Following User Says Thank You to jzchen For This Useful Post:
sarao (11-27-2016)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:30 AM

This is where I got one for my 2009 and I contacted him and he's going to make one for the 2016's that have just one tow hole. Not sure how long it will take but he's a genius and was really excited to be working on a new product https://2x2cycles.com/product/the-sm...-bicycle-rack/
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
" the 2016's that have just one tow hole"

I know that the 451 had only one tow hole showing at the front?
BUT there was a second one under the bumper plastic on the other side as well?

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that the 453 only has one tow hole in the back?
Anybody ever taken off the bumper?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 PM

Yes, just 1 tow hole on the left. The other 2 holes that used to be for towing are now in the rubber bumper and are 'parking sensors'.

Tags
class 1 hitch , smart car trailer hitch , trailer hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode