1Likes
  • 1 Post By sokoloff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assistance needed (replacement keys)

We have a 2009 Cabriolet that my husband loved tooling around in. He developed an early onset form of dementia and put both sets of the keys somewhere. I have torn the house apart looking for them to no avail. When I called the dealership in Indy they say I need to bring the vehicle to the dealership to get keys. That is not possible, I would have to get it towed there. It has been sitting for more than a year and I want to use it again. He passed in September and I am trying to pull things back together again. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:21 AM
Bohemian Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,519 Times in 3,298 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to SCoA. You can contact these folks and see if they can help you; they should be able to supply at least one key if you ship them the car's SAM (main computer.) http://www.sosdiagnostics.com/smart.html
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Garage
Some Mercedes/Smart dealers will make you a new key with proof of ownership, i.e. the title. I'd take your request up to the next level at the dealership and then on to SmartUSA if need be. Someone listening to your predicament ought to have some compassion and try to help you.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your situation.

Len
2014 EV Coupe, 11,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet, 275 miles
jwight likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Garage
I believe the key can be gotten to start the car, but the remote part needs to be programmed in with the STARR computer system. Afraid your only option s are to have the car towed to the dealer, or maybe pull the SAM computer and send it to SOS. they might have a mobile service in your area, not sure where they have them but worth a try.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:36 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
I believe it may be possible to get the ordering process started with proof of ownership and the owner having their driver's license/legal identification and an ordering form being signed IN PERSON. Something to do with key replacement/security laws over in Germany, and because the smart is considered a German car the only way to get a replacement key from official dealership channels is to abide by the laws in Germany. Why? Because the replacement key you are asking for is made in Germany.

I'm not an expert on this as I leave those issues to the service/parts departments but they are extremely strict about the relatively new (last couple years) policy. I can't even get a key myself.

Only way I can think of to avoid that lengthy process is if perhaps a key smith can manage to cut a key and program it for you from scratch or through some U.S. based aftermarket supplier. I don't know one offhand but you can try there if the official replacement key is too difficult for your circumstances. Either way, good luck and sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. I lost my grandmother to dementia.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,188 Posts
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Garage
Since the owner passed away, and I assume the title is in their name, you will most likely have problems. Just went through that as my wife's father passed, and then her mother passed.We had to change the title from her father, to her mother, then to her brother so he could sign it over to my wife. Lots of paperwork as we needed the original certificate of death for both parents and paperwork... Only thing I missed was the personalized license plate, it still says retired firefighter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« OK this car is fun | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode