Smart Car of America Forum banner

Indianapolis Smart tipping

10K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  forestacademy 
#1 ·
Saw this on fox 59 today. Anyone in our group?

A woman in Lawrence woke up Friday morning to find her smart car, tipped over in her driveway. Police said they've received other similar reports. (WXIN-TV FOX59 / June 18, 2010)
Lawrence, Ind. - A Lawrence woman made an unusual discovery when she woke up Friday morning. Her smart car was tipped over in her driveway. She believes vandals are to blame.

The victim said it took three men to flip the car right side up again. The driver's side mirror is broken, the entire left side is scratched up, and the oil spilled all over the driveway. The smart car had to be towed away for repairs.

"The police came out and they were kind of smiling and grinning and I mean it's not a sight that you see every day," said the car owner, Lynn Roti.
Roti said the police told her they had received a report of another smart car tipped over recently. So far, no arrests have been made.

Picture at:Vandalism: Vandals tip over smart car in Lawrence - WXIN

#2 ·
Yeah, vandalism is SUCH a FUNNY THING, I can certainly see why the police were smiling & grinning! I mean, it's absolutely HILARIOUS that something that someone works hard for gets destroyed! When I'm at home, I have vehicles surrounding my smart, so it'd be next to impossible to tip........at home. However, I just had a new vinyl fence installed for $11k, and I KNOW that to the all the graffiti vandals in the neighborhood, it's like 'new canvas'. I'm just waiting for it to happen. Gonna look into getting it LIT UP to at least discourage the *as*ards! Who knows, my NEXT post might be from the county Gray Bar Motel!! :>( Sorry to hear about the car!!! BTW.....if it were to happen to me, and the cops/deputies were smiling & grinning, I WOULD end up in the Gray Bar Motel!! NO doubt about it!!! That's just NOT cool!!

#3 ·
Don't you get the sense that this was reported on the Fox59 website because, oh I don't know, they also find it funny, and secretly the folks at that Fox site also harbor smart-hate? They quote the poor victim:

A Lawrence woman made an unusual discovery when she woke up Friday morning. Her smart car was tipped over in her driveway. She believes vandals are to blame.
as if to say, "Duh, isn't that obvious? And you call yourself a smart owner?"

And what's with the car's headlights being on?

#6 ·
Because those other cars are not named "smart." I firmly believe some (many?) people target this car because its very name puts them on the defensive. These acts of vandalism, therefore, makes them feel better about themselves, as if they are somehow "out-smarting" the car and the owner by sneaking onto their property and tipping the car over in the middle of the night. Sadly, this also seems to be the case when a smart is involved in a fatal accident, with the naysayers basically saying, "Nyah, nyah, nyah...not so smart now, huh?" Pathetic.

#15 ·
I have a very simple but effective tilt-alarm on my wee smartie. $50. Hey, it might not prevent all such vandalism, but most of these morons are cowards anyway, and a little woo!-woo!-woo! might startle the bejeezus out of 'em, make 'em drop the car and run away.

LINKY
Reminds me I have to increase the sensitivity again since I lowered the suspension - car doesn't rock as easily anymore.

Bil :sunshine:

#17 ·
believe it or don't, she got off easy. a year or two ago a rash of "smart droppings" was going on in denmark, where smarts parked near canals were picked up and tossed in! :jawdrop:

imagine having a canal dredged to find your car! i have the factory alarm on my smart, might opt for an additional alarm (motion sensing). i try to park on an end space to avoid "dings", usually the end is softer (grass). i like the 9mm instant castrati response, though i have a wide range of calibers, i just got a .32ACP smaller than my wallet, maybe even lighter! :2gunsfiring:

#19 · (Edited)
OE alarm has a motion sensor that will detect tipping. No need to be annoying every time someone walks buy the car at the grocery store.

I have found that kids like to make the car talk and would keep coming back

Edit--
Love this comment from youtube on that video above

its a nice alarm and i install viper as well as other dei brand units as well.nobody buys them anymore. i found that people with the vocal units almost never have their cars broken into. instead, people are annoyed at the voice and keep triggering the alarm just to f@#$ around with it. alot of people with the vocal viper unit often get their cars keyed up or scratched real bad by people who were walking past the car and became spiteful. they usually scratch the words "shut tha f*** up".
No Need to draw more attention to yourself

#24 ·
AH, but the Indiana Castle Doctrine

says, in part: (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, or curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

Just depends on your state !!!! I'll protect mine, thank you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.