Smart Car of America Forum banner

Smart Car Bike Rack---- I would have never guessed

56K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  roverallover 
#1 ·
#22 ·
I was just looking at the bike rack on the Smart Canada website.

My opinion . . . Hate it.

I've seen roof racks on Minis, is there a roof rack for the Smart?

I would love to use my Thule long tray on top. Or, can you fit the bike in the back with the front wheel off, or do you have to take both wheels off?
I've been using a Yakima rack on my G&K imported 2006 Smart ForTwo Passion (glass roof) for ~8 months, and have been very happy with it.

It was installed by RackAttack in Portland OR, and these guys already had installation instructions (including which clips were needed, etc...) in their internal database. Though one source for me was ClubSmartCar.com (search their site for "Roof-top Yakima Rack" - this forum is not letting me post URLs).

In summary, use #34 Q-Clips, and make sure its installed TIGHT, and I mean so tight that when a 200lb guy yanks on them, they don't even hint at budging. I went with the Stealhead "fork mount" bike holder, and recall needing to sign a waiver - as the rack is not approved by Yakima or Smart. Speeds upwards of 80MPH were no issue, though I personally would avoid putting a box up there for anything above ~60MPH.

#16 ·
You are stuck with rear mounts because the Tridion can NOT be drilled or it degrades the crash resistance of the structure. You can not put any weight on the steel or Lexan roofs because they are not designed to carry any weight at all and they are Glued into the channels on the Tridion.

There is a sort of expensive and time consuming method would be to have 4 hard points welded to the outside of the Upper Tridion. Then had a Aluminum rack welded up to bridge side to side.

I saw several variations in Germany that did this for roof top signs like you see on Dominoes etc...... One variation had small clips welded to the Tridion and the light weight sign was on 4 suction cups and straps to the Welded clips.... None of the systems I saw looked good but all seemed structurally sound....

#18 ·
Bike rack is currently available through Flying Tiger Development

Fast Eddy at FTD, just listed the bicycle rack in his latest round of postings on the Club Smart Car site, along with prices. I know some people sound like they want it NOW, so I thought I'd mention it.

It's not an inexpensive accessory by any means, but it does look like it would be quite solid and it IS made for the fortwo.

#24 ·
erth64net

Can you better describe where the #34Q clips were attached... I looked fairly thoroughly at the top of the demo model 451 and do not see any lips or recesses where any kind of clip could attach... I like the Yakima rack and know their typical rack attachment system fairly well...well built stuff but a tad pricey

#32 ·
Rear Tow Hook Thread Size

I have just purchased a Smart Fortwo Passion. I want to be to carry one or both a Triathlon Bike and a Tandem Road Bike (front wheel removed). I have been playing around with a different design ideas to accomplish this.

A coworker and I have a couple of designs to accomplish this. As soon as the weather breaks we will be prototype to see which design works the best. I want to be able to use a standard 2" receiver style bike rack. That way will be able to use the bike rack for each of my vehicles.

I need to know the exact thread size of the threaded hole for the tow hook.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.