Smart Car of America Forum banner

DIY gear shift removal and lube (short video)

103K views 124 replies 77 participants last post by  SMARTKAR 
#1 ·
OK, let's see if we can get this right this time. Thanks to a2Jack for his very valuable input, and to the local smart dealer for the information on what to lubricate in the shift knob mechanism.

Some owners are finding the shift knob button getting difficult to move, and are getting stuck in Park, Reverse or unable to get to those positions. Forcing the mechanism can result in breaking plastic parts inside the shifter, and of course getting stuck and towed. Not good.

Your dealer should be able to do this for you, or, if you live too distant, this is pretty easy.

Apparently some shifters have little or no lubrication in the button mechanism, and this is an easy 5 minute way to apply some lube.

First, put the parking brake on and put the gearshift in Neutral to make it easier to work on. Then, with a pair of pliers padded with cloth or whatever you think works best, twist the plastic collar under the knob counter clockwise. It seems to require only a small turn, perhaps 1/8th or so.

Then the knob should slide easily off the shaft, straight up.

Use a little bit of silicone spray lubricant to coat this top part of the plunger. I just sprayed a little on my fingertip and applied it.

Also, spray a little up inside the knob. Slide the knob back on the shaft and turn the collar clockwise to latch the knob.

Done.

See less See more
#5 ·
I tried this, my "plastic collar" wouldn't move clockwise or counterclockwise and even with a terry cloth towel it left marks. Then I tried yanking and pulling up to no avail. Then I tried the screwdriver wedge and just left scars at the joint - phooey on this so I sprayed Triflow teflon lube in the cracks and can feel it moves easier.

#6 ·
It works wonders

I wrapped the collar with tape, turned it about 1/4 turn counter-clock-wise ( viewed from the top) and the knop came off with no effort. I also took the sharp edges off the plunger with an emery board before lubing the plunger and re-assembling. It is as smooth as silk.

#7 ·
A few days ago, I started to notice the shifting getting a little sticky. The next morning, it took a while to engage. A few hours later - almost impossible to get out of Park. If able to get out of Park & drive - then not possible to get back into Park.

Brought it to the dealer. Mechanic said (in front of me) that it needed a new shifter. Just spoke to the Service dept & they said they fixed a couple of cables & greased it & it's working just fine.

Back up: 6 weeks ago, I would turn the car on, but the transmission wouldn't engage. So - I had to wait 2 weeks while they got a new "modulator" from overseas.

Now - this is twice my new Smart Car has become suddenly & completely inoperable. What gives?? I LOVE IT - but dependable? I think not.

What are my options?

#9 · (Edited)
I noticed this afternoon and evening that it was difficult to shift from N into P. Just 30 minutes ago, I could not get R or from N into P. I have read your thread and will jump to your solution tomorrow morning. Sounds like everyone has a good fix regarding lubing the shifter release button. I am in Cincinnati and my dealer until this summer is in Columbus, Oh.....90 miles away. Thanks for the posting to all. Joe

Well the next day, I couldn't remove the gearshift knob but I sprayed some lubricant into the "release button" of the shifter, worked in a few times and all is well. Thank you all.

#10 ·
I got my car April 17th and by May 3 I was having problems shifting. I was scheduled to take it to the dealer today but I could not get it to shift out of park. (The little yellow release lever under the shift console would not release the car from park so they could load it onto the towtruck.) I found this forum today, followed the directions, and the car is shifting fine.

Note: I was able to reach around the lower plastic collar using one finger, grip tightly, and turn it 1/4 turn counter clockwise without using any tools. I takes a fairly good grip but many people may be able to get as solid of a grip and turn it by hand like I did. No chance of scratching or scaring the surface using your hands. If you are having trouble gripping it might help to use a dishwashing glove or a rubber jar opener pad. Anyway - the collar turns easy enough by hand that you should not need plyers.

I used a light oil. Not sure what is best. Also - I can not see up inside the knob. So I used a qtip to put a little oil up there but really not clear what to lub there. I was able to get a good lub on the top of the plunger.

#13 ·
This just happened to me, and I picked up my car in April so it is obvious that this problem has not been fixed. I am going to file the necessary complaint with the National Highway Safety Board, which I believe is the agency that handles recalls. This is total BS, as there should not be any problems with any shifters on any cars period. And for those who defend Smart for releasing such a total piece of crap shifter, wait until you get stuck out in the middle of no where. I hope all that have had this problem will also file complaints as it is obvious this is the only way it will get fixed for good.

#16 ·
At 4000 miles just started with the shifter problem. After following the post as to how to remove the shifter knob it was a very easy fix. By being patient I was able to wiggle the shift button enough to get the shifter into neutral. Was able to twist the collar easily by hand, although no audible click is heard so you have to lift on the knob while twisting to get the job done. Applied plumbers grease (which is safe on plastic parts) inside the shifter knob with a small screwdriver while pushing the shifter button to get good coverage as well as on the nylon column pin protruding from the shifter box. When reassembling and turning the collar there is an audible click when back in place. 10 minute fix. All is well again.

#17 ·
At 4000 miles just started with the shifter problem. After following the post as to how to remove the shifter knob it was a very easy fix. By being patient I was able to wiggle the shift button enough to get the shifter into neutral. Was able to twist the collar easily by hand, although no audible click is heard so you have to lift on the knob while twisting to get the job done. Applied plumbers grease (which is safe on plastic parts) inside the shifter knob with a small screwdriver while pushing the shifter button to get good coverage as well as on the nylon column pin protruding from the shifter box. When reassembling and turning the collar there is an audible click when back in place. 10 minute fix. All is well again.
Is plumbers grease soap?

#18 ·
Plumbers grease is also called faucet grease. You can get it at almost any hardware store such as Home Depot. It looks about like vasoline, but is meant to lubricate faucet stem/cartridges. It is friendly to rubber "O" rings and plastics. It usually does cost more than $3 or so for a small container.

#25 ·
Hey guys I thought you forgot about me... I used one of these straps and it worked like a charm. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with my shifter, but after spraying it with silicone spray it is much smoother. I think it is a wise move for everyone to do this process for piece of mind and so that hopefully you won't get stranded. ;)

#39 ·
The shifter isn't truly one-piece; it's the shaft collar and ball cover that is one piece, and the shifter handle is separate from that collar-ball unit. The collar-ball unit (even though it is a single unit) will rotate 1/8 turn, independent of the leather shifter handle, using any one of the methods described by others in this thread.

#24 ·
Quagmire
I'm not sure your shifter is any different than the rest, if it is on a 451. I own a
Cabrio off the first boat 01/08 and the collar and curved collar base are all one piece as in the photos. The first time I tried to use pliers as shown in the photos it did not work, but turning it counter-clockwise with a clean, bare hand while lightly pulling up on the shifter knob it worked like a charm.
Hope this helps

#28 ·
My Passion convertible w/4K miles is from the first boatload also. I checked with my service technician at Herb Chambers in Somerville, MA. He knew all about the problem. He uses spray lube.
I sprayed a shot of white lithium grease (which I usually use on door and trunk hinges and latches) up into the knob and rubbed a little on the nylon "T". Now my shifter works fine again.