Smart Car of America Forum banner

Ontario EV credit

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SmartElectric 
#1 ·
I totally missed the part on the Govt website about the one year waiting period for the EV credit before you can sell or trade in your car.
After inquiring about trading in for another, the rep at Mercedes said there is a one year waiting period, otherwise you have to pay back the $8500
...looking for a creative loophole but there doesn't seem to be. Sure enough, its posted on the Govt website. I'm surprised this wouldn't be something they would confirm with you as you prepare to close the deal.

#7 ·
I can pull 125+km in summer without A/C but winter kills the car. Garage was cleaned up to park it in and keep the chill off it, glad I did. I love the ED but I want to go with the gas version so that I am not limited on range. They dropped the diesel and I think I know why - it was too efficient and reliable. Or so I am told, but the gas seems to be ok and the cost, inexpensive, I wish they kept the diesel. When I was in Italy the diesels were all over the place. Here, not so much.

#8 ·
Ya the range limits would stop me as well. I use my car for work I can put 200km or more on a shift sometimes. My count here for electric is 5 two smarts two leafs and one tesla. We're 8 hours plus drive from any other major city so it's only useful as a second car.
You can find the diesels around. There's two here for sale but they have their problems and quirks as well. I don't see any out this winter at all so cold weather might be a factor with them.

#10 ·
That's good info Huronlad. I guess as the models progress in years they are making improvements. The ED was bought for the mileage to cost ratio but work is just a little too far and our climate is not conducive to a generous range, so I thought the CDI would be ideal, but if a gas model has carved a good reputation for mileage, it's certainly worth considering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.