Smart Car of America Forum banner

Cell phone problem

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  MarcL 
#1 ·
We bought a 2016 Smart and can't get our cell phones to work.

#2 ·
Via Bluetooth? Activate Bluetooth from your device (make your device visible). Press the TEL button on your radio, highlight the Bluetooth selection, turn it ON. Hit the back button. Scroll to "Search Devices" or similar terminology and it will find your phone. Highlight your phone from the devices it finds. Confirm that is the one you want to connect to. Agree to the request to link the two devices. Done. :nerd:

#7 ·
I pair iPhones all the time. I have seen it sometimes push through multiple audio feeds into the Bluetooth audio input, and that gets really annoying. But when I had two different customers returning to the dealership cursing out their headunits, I temporarily confiscated their car and phones. I had them sit in the passenger seat while I showed them how many applications they were simultaneously running on their iPhone. It appears that many folks are simply not closing apps they have no intentions on using at the time.

There are also settings where you can go into your iPhone's Bluetooth settings menu and assign "Bluetooth phone" or "Bluetooth Media" only so that the phone knows what to send via Bluetooth.

As far as the iPhone losing connection, worst case scenario to get it working again is to delete your iPhone from the 'saved phones' list in your smart radio headunit, and delete the smart radio from your iPhone's saved devices list. If this happens every few weeks, it just takes one maybe two minutes to reconnect everything. Glitchy, a little. But not the end of the world by a long stretch.

#9 ·
The key is knowing how to use your devices together. Sometimes the user has to figure out how best to use each device in harmony. If you close an app, it'll never interfere when you don't want it to. If you aren't using your usb input at the time, unplug it. If you want to use your usb input, close open apps on your phone that will send data via Bluetooth so that it won't interfere with what you currently run via usb.
Try it. It will work much better for you. :nerd:

#10 ·
I have been involved in tech longer than most users. I have tried all those ways without success. The radio and iPhone should pair every time without fail! They don't. I have used several inexpensive Bluetooth devices that have paired repeatedly with with my iPhones. Why should we have to jump through hoops to get the radio to pair? There is a problem that needs to be corrected.

#12 ·
I'm in Canada and have a touchscreen. When I've had issues come up that I could not resolve, I made an appointment at the dealership and they just downloaded updates and it corrected the problem. Don't know if this will resolve your issues, but it did mine. I'm using an iphone 4S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.