Smart Car of America Forum banner

Turn on the radio without the key

19K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  smark 
#1 ·
I discovered a new "feature" a few days ago in my passion. I was installing my new clock/tach pods, and I happened to stumble across a way to turn on the radio without the key on.

1) Before you shut down, make sure your wiper control is set to the "auto" position, and the radio is on.
2) Shut down the car and take out the key.
3) Open the door.
4) Bump the wiper control to the off position.
5) The radio comes on. :)

I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I tried again the next day and it did the same thing. Yes, I'm certain I didn't mess up the wiring while installing the pods. The first time it happened was before I touched any of the wiring.

- dan

#3 ·
I discovered a new "feature" a few days ago in my passion. I was installing my new clock/tach pods, and I happened to stumble across a way to turn on the radio without the key on.

1) Before you shut down, make sure your wiper control is set to the "auto" position, and the radio is on.
2) Shut down the car and take out the key.
3) Open the door.
4) Bump the wiper control to the off position.
5) The radio comes on. :)

I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I tried again the next day and it did the same thing. Yes, I'm certain I didn't mess up the wiring while installing the pods. The first time it happened was before I touched any of the wiring.

- dan
hmmmmm...all i have to do is push the on/off button and the radio pops to life (w/o key in ignition). BTW... im not sure if it makes a difference but this is the "upgrade" option radio/cd)
rbt in mke!
yellow/silver cab

#12 ·
How timely!

I just came in from unloading the car after the PNW Prosser weekend. The key was out and I was grabbing an FRS radio off the lower lip of the dash area. I was slightly freaked that the radio came on, by what I thought was me opening the glovebox.
:p
So in and out went the key in combo with on and off with the power button. All is well, good to hear from others that this is "normal". BTW, I have radio 10.

Cheers,
Timo

#13 ·
[...]
So in and out went the key in combo with on and off with the power button. [...]
Timo, I don't think you need to use the key at all, just on/off the radio at will.

The only reason to use the key is to set the radio for when you start your car next. Radio off first, car off and key out second: the radio will stay off next time. Radio on when you shut down, radio on when you start next time. :)

#18 ·
if the radio is off when you shut off the key, next time you turn the key on, radio will be off.

if the radio is on when you shut off the key, next time you turn on the key, the radio will be on.

on my 2008 and 2009, the radio played when you hit the on button even without the key in the ignition. haven't tried it on my latest 2008 with an aftermarket radio...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.