Alright folks, so there's a massive ransomware virus spreading globally at this very moment. So far, the US hasn't been hit that hard but please do not expect that it's not going to get worse. Prepare yourself.
What is it?
In short, it's a virus that once installed, encrypts all the data on your computer. You have the choice of paying ransom for your data back or losing everything. Your chances of getting that data back after paying is slim in the first place (after all, it's a scam), so please try your best to not get infected. Here's what you can do:
1. UPDATE!! If you're on a Mac, you have nothing to worry about. If you're on Windows, make sure you get every update you can.
2. Limit Internet connectivity. Even with the patch installed, you can still get infected. I would advise disconnecting your PC from the Internet (or turning it off) when you're not using it.
3. Don't open anything suspicious. Is your email saying you sent a payment to someone and you don't remember doing something like that? Delete the email, don't open it!
4. Know what you're downloading. Be careful doing things like torrents or downloading email attachments.
5. Backup backup backup! Backup your data. This means that even if you do get hit, you still have the last laugh as you archived everything before you got hit.
Good luck everyone!