Smart Car of America Forum banner

Smart fortwo is a real car with real-car faults - San Mateo Daily Journal 12/28/2007

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Westfield 11 
#1 ·
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=85195

San Mateo Daily Journal said:
The parking lot attendant took one look at the diminutive Smart fortwo car I was driving and congratulated me on having a “nice roller skate.”

A neighbor nicknamed the fortwo “the pod” because of its tall, round shape; more than a half dozen people asked where the plug is for this new car.

They assumed the smallest and lightest-weight new car in America — measuring just 8.83 feet long from bumper to bumper, or 3.3 feet shorter than a Mini Cooper hatchback — is a little electric-powered vehicle.

But they’re wrong.
It gets worse.

#4 ·
I think men might bear the brunt of the jokes because they're driving something that is described as "cute."
My biggest problem when driving the smart last year cross country was rest stops when I really didn't have time to answer questions! I really had to stop, and it wasn't to pump gas after driving for a few hours.

I got them all, too. "Is that electric?" while filling up with gas. "Can you go on the freeway?" at a freeway rest stop.

You will be the center of attention both in and outside your car for months! Get used to it. I suggest carrying a lot of brochures and your salesman's business card.

#6 · (Edited)
And with that, Carnut....

I didn't think there was a San Mateo County in Michigan???
Sounds like that's where the critique came from.....Michigan :rolleyes:

Takes all kinds....;)
As a critic, she should know NOT to believe everything she reads...especially the gas mileage numbers. I personally think the guy that drove the test to determine the mileage on the Smart MUST have had steel toed, size 14 shoes and a right foot that would uncontrollably twitch once every few minutes....:D

#7 ·
Ann Job said:
And in the test car, the plastic interior trim that was supposed to be attached to the rear tailgate would separate from the metal tailgate every time I opened it.
That's because she kept reaching and and pulling the center handle that releases the inside cover for the tailgate that holds the bars in the cabrio or hidden storage in all others. You have to release the two latches on the left and right sides to lower the tailgate.

Common problem, too bad she didn't investigate to see why she was doing that.

Also, she is an AP automobile reporter, based in Detroit. Story just appeared in the San Mateo paper.

#8 ·
nothing really new here.

in fact, she really didn't even touch on some more significant problems and issues, as mentioned in a late post in the best review thread.

also, while you may think there is all this big interest in the car, don't buy it for that reason. I stayed around the smart cars until closing at the july event.

with about an hour to go to closing, around 6 pm or so, still broad daylight (sunset later near 9 pm) , everyone had pretty well gone home, the cars appeared near deserted. smart cars still there, now nearly alone, waiting for someone to have an interest in driving them.

it was erie in a way. during the peak mid day hours, people casually milling around, to see what it was. it was as though, they saw what it was, said ok, then, bye-bye.

it makes one wonder, if you really ant to spend nearly $30k pretax earnings, for a car, you can see on the lot for a few hours, see on the road here and there as it hits the streets, then, one gets their fill, and then they go back to the day to day lives.

and, if ones present car is still in satisfactory condition, working ok, one gets the new look visual pleasure around introduction, while someone else pays to show it to you, and your $30k pretax earnings money stays in the bank growing.

there just seems so many issues with the car, and, its just a tiny car, but selling at a big near $30k pretax earnings price. the small size of the smart, seems like it would be more appropriately priced at just under $10k after tax dollars.

but at the same time, all the other cars, are priced the same, or a lot more. although, they all are also bigger cars.

and the other thing i noticed, by hanging around all day at the event (making sure to pick the best colors to my eye), toward the end of the day, the smart cars really started to look small. very small. near tiny. with the question keep coming to mind, "are you sure you want to do this?"

the local dealership, a split off attachment to a mercedes dealer, says smart will likely open sometime during the second week of january, and should hopefully also have a smart to view then.

that should prove important, to see if its a final go, or not.

to sit in the car again, look over everything, take another real test drive, this time possibly including the highway, to see, if it will be a car that will give long term satisfaction, or may be just a quick new fad, that tends to fade over a year or so.

#10 ·
it makes one wonder, if you really ant to spend nearly $30k pretax earnings, for a car, you can see on the lot for a few hours, see on the road here and there as it hits the streets, then, one gets their fill, and then they go back to the day to day lives.

and, if ones present car is still in satisfactory condition, working ok, one gets the new look visual pleasure around introduction, while someone else pays to show it to you, and your $30k pretax earnings money stays in the bank growing.

there just seems so many issues with the car, and, its just a tiny car, but selling at a big near $30k pretax earnings price. the small size of the smart, seems like it would be more appropriately priced at just under $10k after tax dollars.
I'm not sure I understand your $30K scenario. The Smart looks like it would come in under $20K, tax and license out the door, for a Cabrio with every option.

#9 · (Edited)
This is a riot!

San Mateo County borders the city and county of San Francisco. It's southern portion borders the beginning of Silicon Valley. Historically, it is fairly conservative. Demographically, portions of it are very affluent but it is not as affluent as a whole as Santa Clara County to its south.

When I grew up on the peninsula, the San Mateo Times was something you might not admit to subscribing to. My take is that the only people taking the SM Journal seriously are those who are working or perhaps donating their time.

You just gotta know that I could prattle off and entertain myself with a bunch of remarks, but I don't think this one needs to be taken too seriously. I'd love to know what "lengthy" bridge she is referring to. I'm guessing it is not the San Mateo or Dumbarton Bridges, not the Bay Bridge or the Golden Gate. It's probably the Eugene Duran Memorial Bridge which spans two hills for Highway 280 ... and most vehicles shorter than an S class are going to have a rhythym.

Thanks for the post and chuckle.

#13 ·
Ahah....thanks for that tidbit of info, 8-4-2

I know the rhythym of which you speak and have noticed it on other bridges as you go over them. The peaks and valleys of the bridge roadway sagging slightly was probably exacerbated by the Smarts very short wheelbase whereas vehicles with longer wheelbases would not be so noticeable.....good point.

Another good point was Dickey's insofar as the storage compartment. I didn't realize that it had latches and it makes sense that when the latches are released, the compartment cover opens...and she thought it was the panel falling off!!??? :eek:
Good thing she doesn't work for Consumer Reports!!!!! LOLOL :):)

#12 ·
The smart is the kind of car not everyone will like- I think we just have to accept that fact! Many of my friends have simply told me that they'd rather not ride in it as they would feel unsafe - so be it. But I want one and I will get because I want it- not because I seek everyone's approval.

#23 · (Edited)
#26 · (Edited)
$18,700 total cost for a cabrio with every option is what I paid. It really isn't accurate to factor in a person's finance charges and sales tax since that varies from state to state and person to person.

Also why mention the cost of an orphan when doing a comparison? The most innovative part of the "smart experience" is the sales model: ordering like a Dell computer. No haggle pricing, and no slicks in polyester suits trying to steal your money! If you are in a hurry you WILL pay more, so what? People act like they have a God-given right to buy anything they want right now. Well, get over it, this is a new way of doing business, one that actually rewards those who plan ahead and who are willing to wait to save some money.
If it helps, just think of the list price as being $8k higher than sticker with a discount for those who wait, at least they are allowing the consumer to make the extra profit and not the dealer!

When a newer model becomes available, we intend to 1st order online, and then sell our old smarts when the new ones arrive, 8 or 9 months later. It ain't instant gratification but you still get what you want. It just depends on how badly you want one now vs how much you want to save money. YOU now have a choice that you didn't have before when the dealer just added on "additional dealer profit".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.