Smart Car of America Forum banner

Post-Apocalyptic Update

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Foolios 
#1 ·
It's been a season (winter) since my ED battery failure and month-long repair. Since then, I've had absolutely no problems with the car other than having to replace the other rear blinker lamp.

Saner heads prevailed and urged me to hold off on selling the car until warmer weather would make it more attractive. Since then, I've adjusted to life with an electric, and now every time I pull into my driveway I plug the little beastie in. Even if I'm headed out again in a couple of hours, the "top off" reduces any range anxiety, and I've had no difficulty going anywhere locally I wish.

Point of note: I take my MB out roughly once a week to keep the fluids moving and everything going, but I went to fill it up a week ago and looked at my fuel log with surprise that the last time I had done so was January 3. That's nearly two months between fill-ups!

I'm still on the fence about keeping it, though. Being at the mercy of a sole-source service center that keeps the car for days on end doesn't sit right with me. But on a day-to-day basis, it's serving me well!

#2 ·
That's why I have a cheap old high millage truck as my Gasser! (2004 Ford F-150 with 290,000 miles that I got for $2500)

The truck is good to have when you need to help someone move or pick something big up....but terrible on gas enough to stop you from using it only if you really have too and because of the high millage, you don't want to put to much more on it. It's cheap to replace because of that same reason. If you HAVE to drive a distance, it works...not ideal, but it works. Or alternatively if you get home and need to go back out and don't have enough charge...just use the truck.

#3 ·
Don't stay bent because of that one lengthy episode of frustration. As you're experiencing. It's not happening often. And, you're going to experience less maintenance with the vehicle; no motor oil changes, exhaust/emission testing/repairs, brakes last longer, and gas cost savings to boot, etc. It'll serve you well for a long time. You're already enjoying it and it's getting better as you start to forget that horrible experience.
Everyone of us that loves our EV's would feel just as you did. It's OK to be a little angry and want to get back at the dealer or just want to make sure you don't support their behavior in any way.
Just realize you're getting over on them and everyone else with all the benefits. Worry about yourself and how it's beneficial for you to use that vehicle. Don't worry about how they got one over on ya.
That doesn't matter anymore. You are prospering and that's the most important part.
Have a great EV drive today. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.