Smart Car of America Forum banner

Shifting to neutral when hitting bumps

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Jo e Lefors 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 for two passion, when driving and I hit a bump it seems like the car shifts internally to neutral for a few seconds. The engine will rev and then the gear will reengage. Is this normal for Smarts?

#2 ·
Do you actually see "N" on the gear display? Do you see the stability control light come on briefly? If the rear wheels leave the ground the car senses it and thinks the car has lost traction, which it has if only for an instant. Once the rear tires get a grip all should be good again. ?

#4 ·
No it does not actually shift into neutreal or display neutral on the panel. I'm not sure about the other display as I am watching the road. The bumps aren't big enough to be dukes of hazard style ? it does for sure feel like the car thinks it has lost traction briefly.

#5 ·
Mine does this every morning going to work I get to the railroad tracks slow down to go over them and it’s that crap speed where the car is fast enough for second gear but decides it’s going down to first gear then realized it’s going to go back to second so it revs goes back to second it does sound like it’s in neutral. If you have paddle shifters try using those and see if it does it then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.