Smart Car of America Forum banner

wings and waves Oct. 9-10

8K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Pee-wee Germa 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I just booked a room at the Regency which appears to be 2 blocks north of the Hilton. I need to call the hotel this week to determine when we can check in/out so I don't know our schedule yet. If the airshow is well attended we probably won't go far from the Regency.

I will check this thread later in the week to see what is going on.

#5 ·
I can probably get some of the First Coast Smarties to participate if you are planning on going on Sunday. I can put it out there for Saturday also, but I know that I myself won't be able to come because I have a golf tournament Saturday. I just need some info. What day are you all meeting at the rest stop? What time are you meeting there?

#6 ·
The rest area he's talking about is just north of Orlando on I4... your crew would most likely meet them there... the rest area would be way out of your way.

Wish I could make this one... but USF Homecoming is Saturday and I'll have beer in hand. :D

#7 ·
This should be a great airshow. Matt Chapman is a former US champion. If anyone is following the Red Bull Air Races held around the world, Mike Goulian has been participating in that race series for a while, and without looking I think he won it a couple of years ago.

#13 ·
Where were you located that you didn't hear it? I drove for miles on the beach road from Ormond Beach all the way to Daytona Beach specifically hunting for a smart owner to squeeze me in.

Everyone knows SB's are not allowed. It was unintentional; but in his defense, F-22 can go SS without even lighting the AB's (but he did light em up). Here's a coupla more pictures of the snowbirds:

#14 ·
We were one block north of show center, which was the DB Hilton. I don't know what you heard, but if a military pilot were to go supersonic over or near the continental US he/she would be court martialed. It is not allowed.

The last time a sonic boom was heard over the US was 9/11/01 when jets were scrambled to try to intercept potential terrorist aircraft.

Of course, I will say mea culpa if a news agency states different. But I doubt I will need to do that.

Regardless, it was a good show. The F-22 is amazing to watch as they yank it around in the air. Seems hard to believe an aircraft that large can be that nimble, but fly by wire and vectoring thrust can do amazing things.

#15 ·
Oh you guys were South of me then. I finally found vacant sand in Ormond Beach.

The sonic boom came from the raptor at approximately 2:38PM. He did not go supersonic over land, he was coming in from sea and way way North of the DB Hilton. He finished a pass heading North Northeast and at his velocity, I can imagine he did not complete a teardrop within the 3 mile marker before international waters because he dropped out of sight. I guess he was moving that handle to keep showgoers from waiting too long.

Wasn't there a Blue Angel who oopsed above sonic over land a couple of years ago? I wish i could remember. So this poor guy had to stand tall and be court martialled?

Don't worry about waiting for the news to report everything. 3 years ago when I was working at an International Airport (i won't mention which one), there was a suicide from a balcony outside the West Checkpoint and it was cleaned up pretty painlessly without a single news item in paper or TV mediums.

Oh yeah, Here's a pic of some of the best seats in the house:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.