Smart Car of America Forum banner

How long of a waiting list

20K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  aslusers 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm officially in love with the smart fortwo and had a blast at the test drive. I just head that due to production limitations they will only be bringing 16000 units to the US on 2008, against some 45000 reservations. Is the importing expected to pick up in 2009? How long of a waiting list do you think this will translate into?

I'll be finishing college in december, and there are lots of jobs in my feild but I don't yet have one waiting for me just yet, so I'm sorta reluctant on putting in my $99. Should I just do it now because I'll be sitting on a waiting list for so long?

Finally, what do we know about a satellite radio addition. The guy at the demo tour said they would be offering Sirius (and one of the demo models actually had it) but it's not listed in the options on the smartusa site.

Thanks

#2 ·
The answer to your question is anyone's guess. US Production totals for 2008 may have already been bumped up to 20,000 units.....whether it will (can?) go any higher in future years. I think the 45,000 reservation number is way high, it might be nearer 30,000 at this point. Suffice it to say, most believe the 2008 production run is spoken for. My guess is the reservation system won't stay open forever, especially after the dealers open next year, so I'd suggest to submit your $99 to get a jump on 2009. You can always get it back if someother route to a Smart comes available to you.

As far as the Sirius radio, perhaps that might be consider an accessory (there's a separate accessory catalog) and not listed in the short factory option list.

#7 ·
You want XM; not Siruis

Hey folks,

I'm officially in love with the smart fortwo and had a blast at the test drive. I just head that due to production limitations they will only be bringing 16000 units to the US on 2008, against some 45000 reservations. Is the importing expected to pick up in 2009? How long of a waiting list do you think this will translate into?

I'll be finishing college in december, and there are lots of jobs in my feild but I don't yet have one waiting for me just yet, so I'm sorta reluctant on putting in my $99. Should I just do it now because I'll be sitting on a waiting list for so long?

Finally, what do we know about a satellite radio addition. The guy at the demo tour said they would be offering Sirius (and one of the demo models actually had it) but it's not listed in the options on the smartusa site.

Thanks
I paid my local dealer install the Eclipse DVD/Nav head unit, speakers, amp, subwoofer. I ensured my dealer did not charge for Sirius and used the VTR auxillary input for XM installation instead. XM has much betetr sound quality than Sirius.

#8 ·
I would go ahead and reserve. The $99 is refundable (really easy to do- I called and got mine back within 2 weeks after I got my orphan, no hassle), so you can cancel it if your situation or your mind changes. With delivery date estimations at 12+ months (looking more like 18), it will be good to already be in line.
And if you decide you want your car sooner, get on some orphan lists at a few dealerships. I got a call the next day and had my car in a week.
Best of luck!

#9 ·
Wait time: <1 week

As noted in my first-ever post yesterday, I called my dealership two weeks ago and mentioned that I had no color preferences; any 'extra' car that came in, I'd take it. The lady at the dealership told me to put in my $99 reservation, and I did that around May 5 or 6th. Sure enough, a shipment arrived the next day, and there was a car left over (dealer overstock?). I snatched it up.

I'm now the proud owner of a Smart Passion, black-on-black with red seats. It's awesome.

If you're not overly concerned with color pref's, I'd go that route.

#11 ·
Made reservation in January how long for confirmed order?

Greetings,
I made a reservation on Jan 14th. I called in April worried I had been forgotten and they said it should be this month for my confirmation order, then approximately 3 months to receive my Smart. Does this sound correct? I am seeing various posts with wait times over 1 year. So far the local MB dealer is not listed in the Smart locations. Things just don't seem to promising right now.:confused:

#12 ·
here in Indianapolis, we were told 23 months was the wait as of three weeks ago.

I would suggest ordering then asking to be put on the orphan list.

An orphan is a smart car that was ordered, but when it came
in, the person who ordered it
changed their mind or could not
get financing.

As someone already mentioned, if you are not too picky, you might be able to get one sooner by adopting an orphan.

The wait for an orphan can be lengthy too. Some people have lucked out and gotten a car quickly while many wait months on
the orphan list

#16 ·
I put in my order in Jan. and just got my conformation 3 weeks ago. My car ,I was told will be in Jan, 09 . I have opted not to buy, will sell you my place in line for a very reasonable price, just don't want to give up my place in line, and get my $99.00 back. Just want to help some one out and make a few bucks. thanks Ed

#18 ·
hey, i'm new to this and just put down my reservation. what's this about an 'ophan list', it seems like a great idea and it's something i'm interisted in. how do I go about being put on one?
THANKS
orphans are cars that were delivered but not purchased. Just call your closest dealership and tell them you would be interested in an orphan. They will add you to their orphan list.

Some people have gotten orphans very quickly, and some waited several months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.