Smart Car of America Forum banner

Another Rear-End Collision

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  DrKillerBee 
#1 ·
My daughter was sitting still in my 2008 near St. Pete this evening and was rear-ended by a mini-van. She wasn't hurt, but it blew the right rear tire, bent the wheel, got the right rear fender, tail light, center bumper, and lower right side of the hatch. That's what I see in the pics she sent. (BTW, the SS BMS bumper looks fine. Thanks Paul :)) The left front of the Pontiac Mini-van looked like it could be worse.
She got tossed up over a curb and onto the raised median. I don't know if there's any suspension or underneath damage from that.
The car was flat-bedded to a storage lot in Tampa, but will be moved as soon as I determine where to send it. First choice for convenience is SC Clearwater, second would be SC Tampa. Anybody have any experience with the body shops at either dealership?
They were closed when this happened, but I'll call them in the A.M.

#13 ·
I agree that people should not use their cell phones, especially for texting while driving.
The woman who hit her, strangely enough these days, was not on a cell phone. Traffic was stopped due to an accident ahead and the woman attempted to jockey for a better position in the next lane. As she pulled out, another car was already there and honked their horn. So, she whipped back into her lane which was occupied by my daughter.

I just spoke to her and she's feeling fine. Just a little sore in the morning.

Thanks to all the well wishers. I appreciate it. :)

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad that your daughter is doing good. Amy and I know first hand how it feels the day after that happens. I have not announced on the form yet but have told a few people via email that "AMY AND I HAVE OUR smart BACK" we picked it up two weeks ago Friday and it seems great. You can still see some trace of the accident under the rear carpet but other than that good as new. We hope your 08 Florida car can be saved and that daughter will not be to afraid to drive it again. Every time I stop at a light or stop sign I watch the rear now.

#16 ·
When my car was rear-ended, I was stopped at a yield sign. I had seen a car that I would have had to yield to coming into the intersection and when I got to the yield sign, I was looking to see where the other car was when I was hit from behind. Not much chance to look in the mirror and nowhere to go if I had seen the car that hit my car.

The other time that I was rear-ended (not in a smart), I was in a line of cars at a stop sign. I looked in the mirror and could see a car coming up fast. There was nowhere to go and not much to do except prepare for impact. I do remember the look of surprise on the face of the driver who crashed in my car when he realized that traffic was stopped.

Anyway, it sounds like this accident was worse that mine. Hope that your daughter is doing well.

alan

#17 ·
Unfortunately, when you're stopped in a line of traffic there isn't always somewhere to go. She had enough room so that she didn't hit the car ahead, but that may be because the impact tossed her pretty sharply to the left over a curb.
She's doing fine by the way. Thanks. :)

#18 ·
The only accident I've been involved in in the past 30 years was a rear end (this was 1995). On a two lane road, I'd stopped due to oncoming traffic to make a left turn. Several blocks earlier I'd noticed a car tailgating me, so I turned on my turn signal earlier than usual. The car backed off. But, as I stopped, she decided to pass me to the right, and didn't clear my car. Nobody was hurt. But, it really pissed me off as my car was less than a year old and she was obviously an idiot.

I installed the third brake light pulsar to my 3rd brake LED a few years ago. Don't know if it will avoid an accident. But I figure it can't hurt. Also got additional LED strip on the tailgate (installed by Kermit). I want the rear end to light up like a Christmas tree when I hit the brakes.

Glad your daughter is alright.

#19 · (Edited)
A little belated update.
I wanted the car to be repaired at the SC Clearwater/MB dealership, but they don't do their own body work. They send everything to their 'family' dealership's shop. I got the car back from the shop on 11/16. There were a couple of delays. First was the painted tailgate panel was backordered indefinitely, so after about a week, they got a white one and painted it (2008 Metallic Red). It looks fine. Then (after I advised them that the wheels/tires were non-stock) they ordered a stock wheel/tire. It took an extra 10 days to get the right ones :confused:. Then, I couldn't get down to pick it up for another couple more days.
There was no concealed damage. The four wheel alignment rack showed the right rear was tweaked a little, but was well within factory specs. I explained up-front about the rears wedges so they would't freak at the lack of camber. They had no problem with that.
We drove to Orlando the next day, and the car semed kind of squirrelly. I checked tire pressure and found that they all pegged out my gauge at 50+psi. Adjusted the pressure and all was well. My only issue now is that I find the ESP kicks in on sharp corners where that didn't happen before. The left rear tire is more than half-worn and the right is new. Maybe the differential tire wear is doing it. I'll get a new tire for the left side.
A new rattle or two that I have to track down, and she'll be good as new.
Original estimate was $1600. Bottom line after the additional paint work was about $2100. Of course, the other driver's insurance (same company as mine) was found to be invalid.
I'm not sure the repair on van that hit her would be that low.

Attachments

#20 ·
I find that a lot of people follow to closely to my smart...I know they look a lot closer than they are because of the short rear on my smart. When I am going to turn I put on my turn signals early and start braking earlier than necessary. I find when I am turning right onto my home street people don't slow down and almost hit me from the rear in spite of taking precautions.
When in a line of cars at a stop light I leave extra room in front of me to adjust to the creeps that want to stop 3 inches from my bumper. Almost without fail after I adjust forward when they pull up too close....they pull up more closely just to be intimidating. You can't fix stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.