Smart Car of America Forum banner

OTD 2013 Registration

57K views 291 replies 36 participants last post by  kheran 
#1 · (Edited)
Good evening everyone!!!

Hope this finds you all well. I just wanted to pass along that registration is now open for OTD 2013. This year’s event will be taking place August 22-25, 2013 at Fontana Village Resort and our theme is “Back to Basics”. We’ll be taking the best of years past and adding some new twists for the 5th annual anniversary. No need to pay right now but if you’re planning on attending please go ahead and register if you have a moment at www.outsmartingthedragon.com. Registration allows Alison, Daniel, Jennifer and I to get a better idea how many smarts to expect so we can make it the best weekend possible. It also helps to generate excitement for the event which helps us grow!! Also, if you see other smart owners please spread the word about OTD… word of mouth is our greatest marketing!!!

More details will be coming but we’ll have some special shirts for this year’s event, whitewater rafting will be back and there will be at least one new day trip!! Saturday dinner will remain at Deals Gap Motorcycle resort and Sunday’s going away breakfast is moving back to Lynn’s Place in Robbinsville, NC.

Can’t wait to see everyone in August!!!

See less See more
#245 ·
I found that the Apple Crate was more sensitive than my original car. I had both cars there. I'm running 195/50-15s on all four corners on both cars, and running four psi below factory spec (25/32 v. 29/36) on both cars. Falken Ziex tires on the Apple Crate and Kumho Ecsta ASTs on the other.
Of course, I couldn't drive them both simultaneously, but my bro-in-law was driving my second car and pretty much stuck with me thru the Dragon. Mine kicked about 6-7 times to his 2-3. Not scientific, but interesting.

#251 ·
I think I have the weirdest malfunction from the Dragon, my horn doesn't work! It worked fine on the way out (I had to use it for some idiot) but didn't on the way home (same reason, different idiot). Checked fuse, wires to horn feel like they're still attached, still no beep.

#258 ·
I did the 2 button salute, otherwise I would end up in the ditch. My car does the outside front wheel lockup at will....you can go through 5-6 curves with no problem, then BAM ! So, OTD requires me to do the salute... The strange thing is it never does it in street driving, only at the Dragon ??? (I do take turns aggressively in Atlanta, and it never does it )

I had a GREAT time running the Dragon, seeing all the regular Smarties, and a lot of newbie's !

I REALLY enjoyed meeting the Father and Son of the Wheels of Time Museum !!!! They have an AWESOME collection of motorcycles some cool cars and other memorabilia.

Cavern trip was great too ! (That fudge is low calorie ..right ?)

The dinner was a great time too, lots of neat prizes !!!

As usual, there was a great time had by all !

I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into this event, and wanted to say again THANK YOU to all that made it possible !!!!

#253 ·
While their support was acknowledged among the OTD participants this weekend, I think it is important to share with fellow owners that some smart Centers can still show "smart love." :yelclap:

Thursday smart Center Knoxville provided a bite to eat after the smarts invaded Bristol Motor Speedway. Both they and smart Center Cary were kind enough to provide swag for OTD - thanks for your hospitality and generosity! :bigthumbup:

#255 ·
...Paul...thought about killing the yellow triangle by the two buttons....
...thought about it...
...thinking I'm going to let you be the first to do it....
...running the late hours "resort to the top of the hill" between 4900 and 6500 in second gear I'm kind of sad/glad that thing didn't let me go any faster up that hill....
....btw...what really happens when the yellow Christmas tree lights up??
...does it kill fuel and ignition???

Jetfuel...still fun tho....

#256 ·
The throttle by wire goes closed until the wheel speed sensors get back into a happy state of mind....
I wanted so bad to bring Frankensmart to the Dragon... Most likely I would have found out what it would feel like to be on two wheels.... On its side...:eek:
Momma thought Branson Mo. attractions would be safer...:rolleyes:

#261 ·
We are still waiting on Fontana to change up the breakdown of rooms, but we have Aug 21-24st locked in. We were looking at doing it later, but between Deals Gap being booked, Fontana being booked, and the other events going on this was the best weekend once again for us.

#262 ·
Did you go to the Cinci Meetup July 3rd?

I was looking at your car pic; did you go to the Cinci Coney Island event in July? I seem to remember a very sharp looking black with red tridion; one of the few I felt envious (not that I would give up my Tinkertoi). I'm glad you are doing ok and I can certainly empathize with your distress over losing your car.

#263 ·
I was looking at your car pic; did you go to the Cinci Coney Island event in July? I seem to remember a very sharp looking black with red tridion; one of the few I felt envious (not that I would give up my Tinkertoi). I'm glad you are doing ok and I can certainly empathize with your distress over losing your car.

Yes That was Amy And I! We left Coney Island on the 3rd and headed for Colorado on our honeymoon trip and the smart Nationals rally. Sorry it has been a while since I have posted anything but we did get our car back from smart of Knoxville two weeks ago Friday. We had thought about going to the Tunnel of the trees drive on the 18-20 but not sure just yet if it is worth the 7 hour drive north for one day of driving. There are some people going to be there we would sure like to see and always look forewarned to meeting new people. Glad to have our car back and have run it 9,950 miles in 7 months! I will post pictures when I figure out how as when I try to post it always says failed...

#283 ·
Shoot me a pm and we will work something out if the funds allow us to go. We will leave from work and head north friday around the time you will be passing by. We work rite off where 75 and 275 meet north if Cinci. As for car detials yes when i get some free time i plan to post that info along with pictures from Nationals. We pretty much have a new car front and back.

#265 · (Edited)
Amosd70,
If you are willing, it would be interesting to hear the details of the repair of your car including damage incurred and cost to repair.
I am glad you are both well.
I love your statement from yesterday:
"There are some people going to be there we would sure like to see and always look forewarned to meeting new people."
I suppose that is a Freudian slip? :D
There are always a few twisted sisters in this bunch self included. :p
and as Mark Twain once said : "Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody."
Some of us are just darkly funny. :D
I'm glad you are smart(red) once again.
Is it all back to normal?
Do we know if Dean has gotten his car back from Knoxville as well?

#266 ·
I'm still recovering from the Dragon. I've just gotten the rear tires replaced at 33,000 miles (with plenty of tread left on em) due to a cut 1 1/4" wide across the tread down to the belts. :eek:
I replaced both rear tires so they would match performance wise. I suppose I will fully recover from the dragon after my Visa bill comes in. I've got to check that front tire on the same side to be sure it wasn't cut too. I never saw what was in the road that I ran over. Must have been a knife in the road rather than a fork. :p
In spite of that minor inconvenience, it was great to meet new folks and see the once a year familiar faces. I wish it could be more often.

#272 ·
You're too kind. And I appreciate that. But, I would take the increased population with the ability to back my cabrio top.

If you're following the thread, both the location and dates are already cast in stone.

You'd almost think the organizers are getting a kick back from Fontana Village. I fail to see their loyalty to this piece of very overpriced real estate. Seriously.

The Microtel in Robbinsville is more than capable of handling our group and at a third of the cost.

#277 ·
Regarding the Fontana.... yikes. Coffee maker didn't work, we were in the ONLY cabin w/o central air and a television from the late 80's... while we could see flatscreen in the cabin next door. Cobwebs on the chairs it had been so long since they had rented it; or found a sucker to rent. Plus a twenty something step climb (with no lights) in the dark to get to the door; and we had a lady with walking issues let alone climbing Mount Olympus. Dogs barking at 5 in the morning (not Alan's... he was in the cabin next to us and didn't hear a thing from the twins; besides the fact he didn't get there until Friday night and the dogs woke us up Friday morning... and Saturday morning... and Sunday morning).

On a better note I think I would sleep on rocks to return to OTD; good people and fun time.

To Wallace... $600? for a HORN??? OMG>>>

#280 ·
I'm a little confused.
The OTD room rate at Fontana was $85.00 at the lodge. I had a decent 2BR cabin for $95.00. Not the Ritz, but very adequate with cooking ability.
I spent $65 @ a very unimpressive and non-descript Microtel on the way to the Dragon. To be fair, it was under renovation.
Personally, the lack of internet and decent cell phone service is a plus since I'm never really "off-duty" and my company would be bothering the crap out of me while sucking up the joy of my vacation. Although I will admit that the lack of readily available internet and cell service can be inconvenient at times.
One of the charming features of Fontana Village IS the seclusion and isolation.
If OTD 2014 is at Fontana, I'll be there, although we'll miss you Victor! :)
If not, I'll be wherever it is.

#281 ·
Breakfast at the lodge is one of my favorite meeting places. Two days in a row I was graced with the likes of Wrumbarger, Dr. Killerbee, Kheran and rock momma minus the rock, and Atlsmartaleck. The views were spectacular out the window as always, and the stories were even better.
If I had a suggestion, it would be to have the main drive on Saturday morning possibly end at one of the restaurants at the other end of the Cherahala skyway. It is a beautiful setting along the river there, and appears to be a popular restaurant with home cooking. A good sized restaurant where people can eat and then gather around the cars in the parking area in a beautiful setting is memorable. People might not be as prone to split off to other venues from a longer drive and lunch to follow especially in a pretty place down by the scenic river. You have to see this place to appreciate it.

#282 · (Edited)
I thought the pavilion at Fontana was a perfect place to use as base camp for the event. I too enjoyed having breakfast at the lodge. The runs, the curves, and fellow smart guys and gals made it an enjoyable weekend. Bristol was a kick as well. We had a lot of raffles which were appreciated but not so necessary (they take too much time for the organizers and maybe make their bottom line hard to make.) Our hosts provided great food and good times. Having Boesch present for installs was convenient for us smarties looking to make improvements to our rides.:D
We may have to take up a collection to pay for Jet's "Fuel" as he burned at least two tanks giving demo rides in his turbo silver Brabus. (But why were they mostly young good looking gals?):eek:
My major complaint would be that better security measures must be taken as there are multiple saran wrap terrorists among us that attacked our cars with reckless abandon and at any time...day, night, and even while we were eating dinner. It is getting so that we must carry scissors in our smarts at all times. Moving to Robbinsville would only make it easier for the saran wrap beasts to reload at the local discount plastic wrap store.:wink:
I enjoyed Fontana and think having the pavilion, car wash, and parking in one central area is a plus. Having OTD later would clash with a lot of car events in our local areas where August is a lot slower with car events at home.
Thank you for a great event.:)
Mick

Edit...We must carry the scissors with us at all times (no running with scissors allowed) as we could not get to them if they are in the wrapped car.

#285 ·
My major complaint would be that better security measures must be taken as there are multiple saran wrap terrorists among us that attacked our cars with reckless abandon and at any time...day, night, and even while we were eating dinner. It is getting so that we must carry scissors in our smarts at all times. Moving to Robbinsville would only make it easier for the saran wrap beasts to reload at the local discount plastic wrap store.:wink:
Unless , of course, the plastic wrap material is imported from out of state:wink:

#284 ·
OTD was borne of some local Carolina eat and greet chatter that grew to a regional event. Only through the tenacity of Gary and Rita, 2009 was the high water mark for attendance as smart was new to the U.S. and they made OTD I a reality!

It was a rainy (we surfed The Dragon :D) Fall day and the Microtel Inn parking lot was ground zero for 100ish wild and crazy owners from all over the U.S. and Canada. The event was all about smart, early mods and great people.

Six years later the smart group like the Mini owner event (Minis On The Dragon began in 2006) have settled on Fontana as headquarters driven primarily by location and the diversity of lodging options that are available. Obviously the event organizers who spend hours planning, preparing and transporting "the event" up the hill are doing it out of love for the smart community, not for personal gain and we Thank You!

At the end of the day there are indeed other lodging options but Fontana remains one of the best all around for both facilities and location. As you can see from this LONG list of various lodging options, The Dragon does not have it's own freeway off-ramp as it is in a very rural area of NC/TN. :wink:

Cue banjo music . . .

Fontana Village
: This is where most of the OTD events are held, including dinners, registration and vendors. They have lodge rooms, cabins, houseboats and campgrounds.
Phone: 800-849-2258
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 15 min

Microtel Inn of Robbinsville: Located in Robbinsville. 50 rooms available. Singles, doubles, suites, and jacuzzi suites available.
Phone: 888-771-7171
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 24 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 20 min

Tapoco Lodge: An Historic Lodge from the 1930's sitting on 120 acres. Just finished a complete renovation and reopened in 2011. Breakfast and dinner is included with your stay.
Phone: 828-498-2325
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 15 minutes
Drive to Dragon: Appox. 5 minutes

Blue Waters Mountain Lodge: This cozy inn sits right on Lake Santeetlah. It has 9 rustic rooms and 1 cottage. A gourmet breakfast is included. Dinners are available Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Phone: 888-828-3978
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 38 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 23 min

Snowbird Mountain Lodge: Cottage has two private rooms and the Chestnut Lodge has 6 rooms. Each stay includes 3 meals per day.
Phone: 800-941-9290
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 60 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 45 min

The Phillips Motel: Located in Robbinsville. They offer 16 motel rooms, 7 efficiencies, 1 apartment and several cottages. All at reasonable rates.
Phone:828-479-3370
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 40 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 30 min.

Tuskeegee Motel: Located on Highway 29 in Robbinsville. Owned and operated since 1967 by Ben and Barbara Crisp.
Phone:828-479-8464
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 15 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 30 min.

Appalachian Inn: This rustic B & B overlooks Stecoah Valley and offers 4 rooms. Includes a home cooked full country breakfast.
Phone:828-479-8450
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 30 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 45 min.

The Dragon Pitt Inn and BBQ: Just a few miles past the north end of Dragon
Phone:865-253-3566
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 58 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 10 min

San-Ran Motel: Located in Robbinsville. They offer 11 motel rooms. Each with a microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot and 150 channel TV.
Phone:828-479-3256
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 60 min

Freeman Motel and Cottages: Located in Almond NC. Open year round. Offers motel rooms and eight cabins.
Phone:828-488-2737
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 40 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 55 min.

The Overnighter: Very reasonably priced two bedroom apartments with kitchenettes.
Phone:828-479-6485
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 45 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 35 min.

Deal Gap Motorcycle Resort: They offer a motel and camping facilities, plus a restaurant and store. Located right at the start of the Dragon. Everything the Dragon Slayer needs for a great stay.
Phone:800-889-5550
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 15 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 0 min.

Buffalo Creek Bed and Breakfast: Two rooms with private entrances and a separate cabin are available.
Phone:828-479-3892
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 58 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 50min

Nantahala Village: The picturesque main lodge has 11 rooms on the second floor. They also have cottages, cabins, condos and mountain vacation homes.
Phone:800-438-1507
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 30 min

Fryemont Inn: Located in Bryson City. They have 37 cozy bedrooms in the main lodge and cottage suites located in the adjacent building. Each suite has a king size bed, wet bar and working fireplace.
Phone:800-845-4879
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 50 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 65 min.

A Holiday Motel: Several room types to choose from. Free WiFi and restaurant on site. Located in the heart of Maggie Valley
Phone:877-686-4386

Sweet Berries Bed and Breakfast: 4 rooms available with either a king or queen bed and a private bathroom
Phone: 865-856-6762
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 50 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 24 min. (north end of the dragon)

Hawkesdene House B & B Inn and Cottages: Just outside Andrews, NC., this B & B has 5 rooms and cottages and sits on 20 acres.
Phone:800-438-1507
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 78 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 75 min.

The Hemlock Inn: Rustic country Bed and Breakfast Inn with 22 rooms and three cabin rentals.
Phone:828-488-2885

Richmont Inn B & B: Located in Townsend, TN. Has 6 rooms and one cabin. Get to drive the Foothills Parkway and the Dragon on your way to Fontana Village
Phone:866-267-7086
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 88 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 67 min.

GearHead Inn: We offer large, non-smoking rooms with a king or 2 double beds, pool, wireless Internet, cable TV, microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker.
Phone:828-488-2398

The Blue Boar Retreat: Just off of Lake Santeetlah. The inn has eight rooms that have breakfast included. Three private two bedroom, two bath cottages. Entire Property must be rented at once. No individual bookings. Open from March 31 to November 26.
Phone: 828-479-8126
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 58 min.
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 43 min

Comfort Inn: Located in Townsend, TN. King or 2 Queen rooms. Two person Jacuzzi and fireplace rooms available. Get to drive the Foothills Parkway and the Dragon on you way to Fontana Village.
Phone:800-348-7090
Drive to Fontana: Approx. 97 min
Drive to Dragon: Approx. 88 min.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.