Boise area cruise control install party? - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Boise area cruise control install party?

It doesn't look like this section gets much action, but I'll give it a go!

SmartieParts is coming to Boise at the end of March, 2011 and we're more than happy to bring along cruise controls and do installs for folks while we're there! Dates aren't set in stone yet, but it looks like the 27th (Sunday) to 31st (Thursday). I know its mid-week, which may not be ideal, but I'm flexible with times so we could do an evening thing.

When we come rolling to town is pretty much the only time you'll see an Area 451 Parts Cruise Control at a discount! And when we come rolling into town on other business, that discount is even larger because travel costs are already covered!! So this will pretty well be the lowest price offer to date for this unit.

For those that don't know, Area 451 Parts Ltd formed with the specific goal of designing and producing the world's only electronic cruise control designed specifically for the "451" generation smart car when it was first introduced to the USA in 2008. By all accounts, they succeeded marvelously with over 850 installs performed and less than a 0.2% defect rate!

Since the beginning, the price has been the same: $479.99 plus installation (in some markets, people pay $1000 installed!). The only time we see that change is when there's a group event... so let's make one!

The final price depends on the number of participants. The cheapest this unit typically sells for at large events is $500 installed but I know we can do better than that since my airfare is already covered. If we get enough interest, I bet we can pull this off for $400 a piece INSTALLED!

Let me know if you want to get involved! Spread the word if you want a bigger discount!

Steven Morehouse
SmartieParts.com

Last edited by SmartieParts; 01-06-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
+1 for this! Even if Steven is bypassing Ohio, you folks in the Boise area will get a good deal with the install. Steven did a bunch in June 09 at the first Dells gathering and as far as I know every one of those cruise controls is still operating just fine. Don't pass this one up!

(pssst, Steven, just send the $50 via PayPal)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steven, that sounds like a great opportunity. I will forward this information out to the smart car club of Idaho members to see how much interest there is. We also have several G&K 450 smart cars in the area, myself included. Perhaps you can also offer something for them from your accessories...

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

I really don't have a lot left for the 450s. I've been clearing that stuff out (very, VERY slowly) for about a year. The moment the 451 came around, two thing happened: 1) Suppliers jumped ship leading me to fear I'd have a supply problem; and 2) 450 customers stopped calling (so its really a demand problem). Quite remarkable how quickly it happened too.

Smart activity as a whole is way down (car sales as well as aftermarket parts) so really I'm just focusing on the cruise control and other non-smart related projects.

I have a very few odds and ends and yes I'm willing to make deals on that stuff (though most of it is already heavily discounted)

- Steven
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,330 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Garage
had my Area451 cruise installed at the Dells with less than 1,000 miles on the car. it now has over 39,000 miles and I use the cruise almost every day. Best thing I have ever added. Professional installation and a discounted price. A no brainer in my book!!

Also you want to get the jumper plug for those trips to the dealer for warranty issues.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Just wanted to follow-up to this thread and report that we had 6 of our 451 owners in the Boise region to get the Area 451 cruise control installed by Steven from SmartieParts about a week ago. We have several more satisfied customers!

Thanks again Steven for offering to do the installs while here on vacation.

Tom
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Hey, you're very welcome. Thanks for organizing. Its too bad I didn't get to meet you after all that! Rex was awesome, providing his shop for all the installs! Actually, the whole gang was great. They all showed up early and I was able to finish on time for once!

Cheers.

- Steven
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

I don't know if bumping this one is appropriate... but here goes:

On August 20th I will once again be in Boise, ID for a few days. I know the forums are less active now, but I still have some cruise controls available and I can still do installs on vacation! Whether its 1 or 10, I'd be happy to bring along the necessary kits and tools. I know its not a lot of notice, but the offer is there if anyone's interested.

Due to the lack of notice, I'll drop the price even further this year. $350 installed. Let me know!

- Steven
The Following User Says Thank You to SmartieParts For This Useful Post:
jwight (08-04-2012)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Steven,
I have E-mailed our members to see if anyone is interested in getting the Area 451 Cruise Control installed on August 20. I asked them to respond by August 13, so I'll let you know.

Thanks again!

Tom
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Appreciated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode