Smart Center Boston - Parts (replacement key) - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Smart Center Boston - Parts (replacement key)

Hey all.

Wanted to let you all know I tried to order a spare key for my 08 Passion. According to the Parts Dept at Smart Center Boston, the item has to be ordered and since everything is in transition, the spare key cannot be ordered. When I asked when - I was told a few weeks to a few months - nobody knows.

So you know - Smart Center Boston was a part of the Mercedes dealership. I was out there in April (I think) to pick up the rear cargo cover. No problem with it. So I suppose any item normally stocked - and in stock is no problem. But if you want something that needs to be ordered - you may be out of luck - for a few months...

I love my Smart but with a major company like Mercedes there should be a transition plan in place of which all the dealerships are aware. Not having one seems a little sketchy to me. To not be able to order parts is a scary place to be. :eek:

Just wanted to pass this along - if others know more - let us know!

I went ahead and ordered a blank form Smart Madness - only $30, Not a full replacement (won't start the car) but will get me into the car at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Check with a few other smart centers; one should have the key in stock.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,349 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Garage
ontact one of our supporting vendors, SOS Diagnostics, they may be able to help you and probably a lot cheaper than the dealership. They have a link at the bottom left side of this page in the Supporting Vendors Directory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all!

Will check out other Smart Centers and certainly SOS!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
Check with a few other smart centers; one should have the key in stock.
ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedsurfer View Post
Hey all.

Wanted to let you all know I tried to order a spare key for my 08 Passion. According to the Parts Dept at Smart Center Boston, the item has to be ordered and since everything is in transition, the spare key cannot be ordered. When I asked when - I was told a few weeks to a few months - nobody knows.

When I bought my used 2009 it had no spare key and I ordered a blank and a FOB from Kuni's former smart center Portland. Call around to smart centers to see if they have a FOB in stock and ask if they'll ship it to you. So it might cost an extra $15 for shipping - big woof. It'll be a heck of a lot easier than waiting 2+ months. Then take the blank and FOB to smart center Boston for programming.

FYI (for those wanting spare keys) - when I ordered the blank and FOB the total cost was about $160 for both parts. Little did I know that the blank came as a set of 2 blanks. When I found that out I told the service manager that if my money bought both blanks then I want both blanks. I now have a spare key (with FOB) and a spare blank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We had a similar arrangement when we bought our 2009 Passion new. A wait for the two key blanks and the two fobs, then waiting on them to set up the appointment to have the new keys cut and the whole lot reprogrammed.

We maintain four keys: one on each of our keychains, one on the "utility set", kept near the garage for various household tasks and such, and one in the master key box in the house. When we travel, we take our sets and put the utility set in the luggage as a backup.

Two keys with no means of operating the car save with those keys is insane. Who wants to steal a fifteen thousand dollar car, anyway? Has anyone here had a smart stolen?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Stibal View Post
We had a similar arrangement when we bought our 2009 Passion new. A wait for the two key blanks and the two fobs, then waiting on them to set up the appointment to have the new keys cut and the whole lot reprogrammed.

We maintain four keys: one on each of our keychains, one on the "utility set", kept near the garage for various household tasks and such, and one in the master key box in the house. When we travel, we take our sets and put the utility set in the luggage as a backup.

Two keys with no means of operating the car save with those keys is insane. Who wants to steal a fifteen thousand dollar car, anyway? Has anyone here had a smart stolen?
Steal a Smart? Who knows. I bought my 08 used, I found documentation in the glove box that it had lojack installed. And no, I haven't set it up again but am pondering the idea - it is only $99
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManchVegas View Post
ditto.

When I bought my used 2009 it had no spare key and I ordered a blank and a FOB from Kuni's former smart center Portland. Call around to smart centers to see if they have a FOB in stock and ask if they'll ship it to you. So it might cost an extra $15 for shipping - big woof. It'll be a heck of a lot easier than waiting 2+ months. Then take the blank and FOB to smart center Boston for programming.

FYI (for those wanting spare keys) - when I ordered the blank and FOB the total cost was about $160 for both parts. Little did I know that the blank came as a set of 2 blanks. When I found that out I told the service manager that if my money bought both blanks then I want both blanks. I now have a spare key (with FOB) and a spare blank.

Quite an investment! When I called I was told $170 for the replacement key and 125 to program it. Sure miss the good old days. Couple bucks and 5 minutes and you had a spare key. :-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 04:11 PM

I'm repairing my car and I found parts here, lots cheaper than new. I got the transition-no part-ordering story today too from the local dealer.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedsurfer View Post
Quite an investment! When I called I was told $170 for the replacement key and 125 to program it. Sure miss the good old days. Couple bucks and 5 minutes and you had a spare key. :-)
That's why I truly miss Kuni Automotive's former smart center Portland - the price I quoted included the programming. The service team there went above and beyond for me. The service team moved over to the Kuni Auto Center. I will be going to the Kuni Auto Center in Portland for my routine maintenance and non-warranty work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode