post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:19 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,440 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Blocks warping = overheating........ be curious to know if the car had ANY coolant in it.
Which could discount KRA’s comment “unfortunately we are seeing a number of these?"

VERY FEW of the engine failures that have been reported on the SCoA Forum, have hand grenaded without "cause."

Instead MOST seem to be the result of idiot lights being ignored and/or cooling system/fluid levels not being checked.
"when the check engine light came on I took it right away to my mechanic. He said I should go ahead and drive it, and the next day it was towed to his shop."
The engine is reliable, can't ignore those other causal influences . . .
The Following User Says Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
jwight (12-08-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:03 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
Which could discount KRA’s comment “unfortunately we are seeing a number of these?"

VERY FEW of the engine failures that have been reported on the SCoA Forum, have hand grenaded without "cause."

Instead MOST seem to be the result of idiot lights being ignored and/or cooling system/fluid levels not being checked.
"when the check engine light came on I took it right away to my mechanic. He said I should go ahead and drive it, and the next day it was towed to his shop."
The engine is reliable, can't ignore those other causal influences . . .
I 100% agree. At least 3 of the most publicized threads were definitely preventable, and owner(or mechanic) caused. Can't fault smart for those.

All aluminum engines are more suseptable to heat damage than the old tech cast iron, but today it's all about efficiency. Lugging around a cast iron caboose isn't eco friendly.:)

Sent from my PantechP8000 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteNBlack08 For This Useful Post:
MB DNA (12-08-2012)
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,505 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Garage
Please put the glasses of kool-aid down. The whole coolant thread was about how you could damage your engine because the damage was done BEFORE the light came on i.e. the light came on too late. The implication was that it really wasn't much of a warning system;
more of a heads up that your wallet was going to take a hit. Additionally, the other issues appears to be valve guide related, which has absolutely nothing to do with the owner.

Though it could be argued with great care the first case of low coolant could be voided [generally], the second case it the one I actually find more worrisome. This is the one that throws the code that was posted earlier, and the one that no amount of maintenance or watchfulness will prevent. My guess is that is a quality issue at the time of manufacture, but that is a guess. Additionally, the damage was already done when the mechanic [mistakenly] told him to keep driving. The outcome would have been the same wither way.
The Following User Says Thank You to kennyrayandersen For This Useful Post:
a2jack (12-09-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
engine sawp

I need an engine too is a 2012 or any newer year a direct swap with a 2008 car?Or are there differences?

Tags
engine , replace engine , used engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode