Smart Car of America Forum banner

Body Panels - Sale, Wanted or Swap Thread

198K views 826 replies 371 participants last post by  AKarpenter47 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's give this a try and see if it works better than individual posts. If it doesn't pan out we can break them out again. Again, please list your location with your post so others don't have to guess. Thanks.

NOTE: "Moving other body panel posts/threads under this one" - too much confusion from breaking threads apart to do that, but please post new items under this thread.

#498 ·
Red panels set to trade for blue or '08 orange or maybe pewter

I have a complete red set off of my '09. Was only on the car for about 15k total miles, and I am looking to trade complete set for a complete blue, the '08 orange or possibly pewter color set, otherwise, what color do you have? (I do NOT want white or black). Looking for set in GOOD condition, as my set is in good shape. Prefer Wisconsin or surrounding states. I also do not want to sell this set outright, trades only.
Thanks,
Brian

#504 · (Edited)
Looking for a set of white (CA8L - liquid paper) side skirts for a 2009 Smart Passion?
Not a stock item. Visit your local body shop and they should be able to match the color in a repaint. Be sure to use the flexible paint devised for plastic bumpers, etc.

But be prepared to be disappointed. They are going to be prone to become dirty and chip easily. Plan on an annual repaint.

The rocker sills from a dealer are about $60 each.

Cheers, Bob

#505 ·
Will Barter Partial Set of Silver Panels

OK, this is kind of convoluted, so keep up with me here. I have a near complete set of '08 silver panels in excellent condition that I will barter with someone for a few hours labor.

We have four '08 Smarts in our family. Daughter has a red one with under 15,000 miles. She has permanently moved overseas for grad school and wants me to sell her Smart.

I drive a much loved yellow with 50k miles. It occurs to me it would be pretty dumb to sell a car with only 15k miles and keep the 50k model, but i do loooove that sunshine, smiling yellow, and am loath to give it up.

If someone in the metro Atlanta area can swap panels between the red and yellow, for their trouble I will give them the extra silver ones we have.

My husband was rearended a couple of years ago and took advantage of the opportunity to change his silver to black, and he kept the undamaged silver panels stored in the box the replacements came in.

You can drop me a line at springlering at gmail dot com or give me a holler at 770 757 0615.

BTW, all four still run like tops. LOVE these little cars. Never had a moment's problem with any of them. :D

#507 ·
I've got yellow panels, looking to swap them for pretty much anything else except white, though grey and dark blue would be my top options.

I'm in western Nebraska, but I could drive to the Denver area or eastern Kansas for a swap.

My panels are in pretty bad condition. The front has seen a lot of bug strikes, and I haven't spent much time keeping it clean, so the clearcoat is really messed up up there. There are two deep scratches, one on the front left fender and one on the right rear fender. The scratches are probably not fixable - both are big enough that there would still be an imperfection after a full repaint unless special attention was paid to them (they'd have to be filled somehow). They aren't that visible, since yellow has molded-in color.

I'm not picky about the condition of panels I'm swapping to.

#513 ·
Selling full set of BLUE

I am selling my full set of blue panels off my 2008 Cabrio. The only flaw is a small scratch in the hood piece. This set also comes with the front and rear black pieces (see photo, not sure what they're called). I am asking $400. Right now I would not like to ship them, but if no locals are interested I may look into it. I would be willing to travel a resonable distance with them to meet someone half way. I am located in Harmony, which is just outside of Orlando, FL.

#514 ·
Thanks for the link. It all makes me uncomfortable, but I'm betting my husband will be willing to have a whack at it. Which means, if he screws up, I can sit back and say, "Nyah nyah nyah, told ya so!" and make it all his fault, lol. (It's a wife thing.) :D

Evilution mentions possible rattling if removing and reinstalling panels. Has anyone experienced that, and if so, any easy remedies?

#515 ·
TEvilution mentions possible rattling if removing and reinstalling panels. Has anyone experienced that, and if so, any easy remedies?
We've had close to a dozen sets on and off, plus countless individual panels without any rattles. I'd suggest careful attention to make sure EACH clip is intact and clipped. Be careful, check each one and replace broken or weak ones. And of course, make sure your fastening screws are in place and tight.

I'd avoid car washes with the flopping foam brushes, as I had one peel off a side valence rocker panel ... just pop it off the clips but leave the screw holding it on.

(Then again, if it rattles, just get a louder exhaust!)

Cheers, Bob in KCMO