User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Looking for wedges

I'm looking for a set of rear wheel wedges for my 09 brabus. Want to get zero camber. Sick of eating through tires... if anyone has a set let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Being fairly new to Smarts, these wedges reduce the rear camber? With the stock suspension on my ED, I have about -1.8 degrees camber on both rears, which combined with the very low toe-in, should be a very good setting for both tire wear and rear grip.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,513 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
A lot of the "reduced tire wear" comments are just hoping that's what happens IMHO. Might make a difference with the rear BRABUS 17s, but not so much with the stock tires. So many variables involved it's hard to pin down one thing that causes tire wear, again IMHO.
Smart Bob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
A lot of the "reduced tire wear" comments are just hoping that's what happens IMHO. Might make a difference with the rear BRABUS 17s, but not so much with the stock tires. So many variables involved it's hard to pin down one thing that causes tire wear, again IMHO.
This is my first car with a deDion rear suspension so it's been a learning curve for me. But typically with an independent rear suspension, the camber curve as the suspension compressed shows increasing negative camber. The deDion is supposed to hold both rear wheels parallel to each other and both wheels flat on the ground under most circumstances, so there's no camber change with suspension movements and what you need the negative camber for is to keep the tread flat as the sidewall flexes. My stock suspension shows -1.8 degrees camber, which combined with the fairly flexy sidewalls of my 175/55's, seems about right. That much negative camber combined with a wider, stiffer tire on a larger rim with a shorter sidewall, may be a bit too much for this type of suspension, but I can't find much information online to know for sure.

I've only got 2000 miles but rear tire wear seems good and even for my driving style (which is pretty aggressive).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,797 Times in 3,513 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Here's the longest thread on the topic: https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/for...wedgies-28192/

We've had three smarts with stock setups and no excessive tire wear from the rear camber. smart designed it that way for a reason. YMMV.
MB DNA and InjuredAgain like this.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The problem foe me is that with the 17's Im wearing through the inner shoulders of the rear tires. I may just end up putting 15's on all around. It also probably doesn't help that I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs. Im sure it causes extra suspension sag and increases the camber.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 12:16 PM

The way the deDion rear suspension works, suspension movement doesn't alter the camber that is presented by both wheels to the ground. In essence, the rear wheels are fixed in relation to each other and the entire fixed assembly moves in response to the ground and to the car. So whether you have 100 or 300 pounds added to the car, the rear camber stays the same.

I have something like -1.8 degrees of camber at the back. On my (sold) Miata, I ran -2 degrees in the back. This did not create any inner shoulder wear as long as toe was in spec. I ran 1/16" toe in at each rear wheel, and I think my Smart has around 1/10" in at each rear wheel. These should result in basically zero dynamic toe under power and then not wear the tires abnormally at all.

So it might be worth it to get a check and see what your alignment specs actually are.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone find a source for the rear wedges? Im looking as well.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM

Thanked 1,224 Times in 870 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Didn’t Paul Barnes machine shop, manufacture the wedges. If so there no longer available anymore. Unless you find some used ones someplace. I think, I see some on the vendors table there.

magilly00 likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
Didn’t Paul Barnes machine shop, manufacture the wedges. If so there no longer available anymore. Unless you find some used ones someplace. I think, I see some on the vendors table there.

Does anyone have a picture of these wedges ? I have access to someone who can machine anything .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode