Winter wheels and tires - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Winter wheels and tires

SOLD AS OF 11/14 - THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR LOOKING!

Hi All - just registered on the forum, but have been a lurker during our Smart ForTwo Pure (edit: Forgot to mention it was a 2015) ownership. We had to return our Smart (lease) and are left with a set of winter wheels and tires. The tires have about 4,000 miles on them and wheels a few more as I bought them used.

I lived in Buffalo (now in New Jersey) and this setup worked wonders, especially when thinking that during the first snow storm I tried to drive on the stock tires and made it nowhere.

Tires are Dunlop Wintermax 175/65/R15 on all four wheels. The wheels are not staggered, instead are all rear wheels square (read on forums that this setup works).

Other people ran a wide square setup and reported no issues, I had a different experience few times when I hit a pot hole and the tire rubbed my front left fender. Just wanted to throw it out there... Other than that though, the ride was nice, and the grip was amazing.

Asking $650. Located in Clifton, NJ, willing to deliver/install if you do not live too far. Thanks for looking!

Edit: Just a side note, I forgot to mention that the wheel came off a 2015, so they should fit 2008 to 2015 models.

Last edited by Mike123; 11-15-2018 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Tires are sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Interested in buying

I'm looking for snow tires for my Smartie. Your post didn't mention what year the wheels are for. Are they for the 2016 & up 453? I'm in Lyndhurst & would be able to come by this weekend. Text me @ (Two O One) 355-6ZeroZero7. Thanks, Jimmy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for not mentioning the year, they fit a 2015 or older, so if you have a 2016 or newer, these wheels are a no go. Thanks for reaching out and enjoy the Smart!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Can you explain what you mean by "staggered", "rear wheel square" and "wide square"?

And are these alloy wheels or steel wheels?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think he means all the wheels/tyres are the same size, rather than the usual set up of staggered which means wider rears
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 06:31 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,418 Times in 1,434 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike123 View Post
Tires are Dunlop Wintermax 175/65/R15 on all four wheels. The wheels are not staggered, instead are all rear wheels square (read on forums that this setup works).

Other people ran a wide square setup and reported no issues, I had a different experience few times when I hit a pot hole and the tire rubbed my front left fender. Just wanted to throw it out there... Other than that though, the ride was nice, and the grip was amazing.
451 OEM* rubber on the rear was 175/55R15 and your winter tires at 175/65R15 are a slightly taller profile which might explain the pothole rub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "staggered", "rear wheel square" and "wide square"?
staggered = OEM smart tire setup with smaller 155/60R15 front wheel/tire

rear wheel square, wide square setup, sometimes referred to as 4-square = 4 OEM rear wheel/tires on all four corners

*Note any reference to OEM rubber is standard issue and should not be confused with some of the special edition variants that were offered during the 451 run.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Thank you MB DNA for clarifying what I wrote, I should have specified it better (you did a better job than I could have done!).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Running 175/65R15 winter tires on all four wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
451 OEM* rubber on the rear was 175/55R15 and your winter tires at 175/65R15 are a slightly taller profile which might explain the pothole rub?

MB DNA, I think you're right about the 65, it was tight, but at the same time, while I drove on regular streets, without any truck swallowing pot holes, I was OK. The rub always happened while on the highway going 65mph or more, and hitting a bigger size hole. The first time it happened, I learned my lesson, that's for sure.

Tags
winter tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode