Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart Parts Marketplace (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f11/)
-   -   Wtb used 451 autoflash by madness (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f11/wtb-used-451-autoflash-madness-151946/)

Lucas Quintana 09-22-2018 07:49 AM

Wtb used 451 autoflash by madness

Just what the thread title says. I also would like to know if this can be used alongside the gopedal plus, or if it does what that does, along with removing the rpm limiter and governor?

1983JZR3W 09-23-2018 04:17 PM

Yes, I believe it works well with the GoPedal. From reading several posts from SmartMadness, I seem to remember the ecu flash is married to the car's VIN, so you can not use it on another car. You may want to contact SmartMadness to confirm my comment.

Lucas Quintana 09-23-2018 04:34 PM

But to my knowledge, the ecu flash also changes the timing of shifting, which is the entire purpose of the gopedal, do I have that wrong?
And if it's tethered to a single vin, that's really lame, but I guess if you make an item like this that no one else can really make, you can do stuff like that.

1983JZR3W 09-23-2018 06:02 PM

I have the GoPedal, but not the ecu re-flash. The GoPedal will both quicken and smooth out the shifts. It does not make the car any faster or add power, but it will feel a lot quicker than before. I find it is particularly noticeable in manual shift mode, but not so much in auto mode.

I have never driven or ridden in a smart with the ecu flash, but it should be worth the money.

If I were you, I would call SmartMadness to ask about the ecu/vin situation.

Lucas Quintana 09-23-2018 06:10 PM

Yeah, to my understanding, the stock ecu has a 1 second delay in shifts, and that's what the gopedal fixes. But things I read make it seem like the ecu flash does that, on top of removing governor and rpm limit. So, i'm wondering if there's even any performance increase seen from owning both, rather than just the ecu flash. Will definitely email them about both.

blackout 09-24-2018 06:06 AM

Contrary to popular belief, the Gopedal has nothing to do with shifting. It simply quickens throttle response which makes people think the shifting is "quicker" or "smoother". I have a Gopedal, but it's only because I hate how far you have to push the pedal to go anywhere in a stock smart. I'd be very interested in driving one with a flashed ECU.

Lucas Quintana 09-24-2018 05:12 PM

I see. The response I got was pretty short and concise (Which honestly, I wish it wasn't)

They said if your primary concern is performance, they'd go with gopedal and ecu tune, unless you want cruise then go with cruise and ecu tune. And that it is programmed to the vin. So, used ecu tune is a no go. :(
And blackout, if your car is still pretty much stock, buy a k&n performance filter, I was impressed with the throttle response difference.

jetfuel 09-24-2018 06:18 PM

..back in the days when smarts were a novelty and we experimented with anything and everything I believe that GHammerly did some passes at ORP in Indy with different intake filters...even a wrapped cool tube and if my memory serves me right the best time he run was with the stock filter set up....

Jetfuel...those were the days
https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/fo...5/index13.html

Lucas Quintana 09-24-2018 06:35 PM

Well, I drove my car for about 5 months before changing the filter to the K&n, and there is a noticeable difference to throttle response. And idek which filters those are, and it also seems like there's a lot of other stuff done to that car...
There's also no way a stock filter would be better than ripping the entire thing out and installing a cold air intake, at least.
I will say that this car has too much drag for anything to really give it a big boost in performance, imo.

jetfuel 09-24-2018 07:58 PM

...well...if performance is what you want you need to dig deep and stretch big and get yourself a hairdryer....

Jetfuel...Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”