Smart Car of America Forum banner

West caravans - Denver

19K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  tidbit 
#1 ·
Please add your name to this thread if you plan on meeting in Denver and caravaning on to KC. :)

#10 ·
jwight,
How about having someone being the "goto" person in each Caravan. This is just someone who is driving one of the long legs. Like me for example. I would represent SoCal area people. Others could be from San Francisco and Seattle. Basically we would have cell phones and if possible, a spare tire. We could be kind of like service people or assistance. I know this could be abused by some but should work. Mostly I'm thinking of someone who has a blowout (inflator would not work) and needs a tire that is very hard to find. Nothing like being stuck out in the middle of nowhere needing a tire that hardly anyone has in stock. The nice part is that as the Caravans grow, the "helpful" person supply grows also.
I can actually have my laptop and internet availability. I could even pre-search for who has smart car tires along the Caravan route. This could really help the most. A list of stores on any Caravan route that has tires (including the dealers of course!) could be posted here and on the official site.

I guess I have too much free time sometimes to think of this stuff!:p

#12 ·
I have been checking out the Google Earth view of Denver. If we used the smart dealer for a gathering point, I see nothing but traffic getting to the freeway. So then I looked at the eastern part of Denver and found an easy on-ramp and a parking lot. Well it is a Burger Kng parking lot, but no one has to eat there. Anyway, it is at North Chambers Road and I-70 at the south east corner. Chambers is just east of I-225.
We could still use the Dealer for a start point, but gather back together at the Burger King for the final "push". I also think the Chambers Rd. point would avoid most of the morning traffic of Denver - just guessing on the traffic part.
Just throwing this out there for an example.

#13 · (Edited)
Just a sample of what APRS can do. This is some driving I did Thursday and today - mixed together. All the information that anyone needs to track an APRS user is in the picture. Web site and what to search for are there. I will be driving back Monday - another chance to check out the system.

And this works live. Actually where someone is within minutes. I will have the same system on for the drive to KC.

#14 ·
John and Co:

Might I suggest Park Meadows Mall as a departing point? It's a well known mall with a large parking lot located adjacent to I25 two exits south of I225 and would provide very easy access to the interstate via county line road. It's about 5 miles from the dealership.

#16 ·
I used to live there less than 3 years ago... Scaler was right in his assessment of the traffic there. My wife used to attend seminary about 5 blocks from the smart center location so I'm quite familiar with the area. The mall offers a convenient way to the interstate with only 1 traffic light and no left hand turns... just sayin....

#20 ·
Hello Smarties! Denver Carivan information. Anyone coming into town to join the Denver Carivan to KC, I have made arrangements with the Confort Inn located at 401 East 58th Ave, Denver, CO 80216 - right next to the Denver Merchandise Mart off of I25 and 58th Avenue. They are giving us special rates of $78.00 for Single Queen, and $87.00 for DBL Queen or King. Breakfast is included. They are going to have breakfast for us at 5am instead of their normal 6:30 so that we can all leave by 5:30. They will offer breakfast to the local people for a nominal charge. They have a pool, Exercise Room, Laundry, and the usual features that hotels have. Call 303-297-1717 or 800-842-4415 and be sure to mention the Smart Car group for the special rates. Web site is www.comfortinn-central.com. This location is 1 exit north of I-70 which we will take to KC. KC is approximately a 9 hour drive from Denver. If we want to be there by 5 for registration Thursday we will be leaveing the Comfort Inn at 5:30am. Allowing for a one hour lunch break and gas ups half way there, (and the time zone difference) that should put us there between 4:30 and 5:00 pm on Thursday afternoon. Please feel free to call me or e-mail me at any time. I will have restaurant information for dinner Wednesday night as it gets closer to the date. My Phone numbers are: 303-250-5505 (Tia) and 303-250-5500 for Russ. My e-mail address is TGlissmann@gmail.com. Please respond with your numbers so that we will have enough availability at the hotel.

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE!!! Tia and Russ

#22 ·
Never too much BBQ!

We can do Famous Daves if you wish, or if it turns out that you are the only one staying at the hotel, we can BBQ at our house, and you can just stay here! You can have some "famous Tia's". I'm a gourmet cook and actually do a lot of catering. What's your pleasure? Ribs, Steaks, chicken, pork, lamb, fish? Mexican, Italian, Curry, French, Do you want it fancy or plain jane?

#25 ·
Went to Famous Dave's last night to check it out. Great ribs and pulled pork. It is WAY up north though at 158th and North Washington. It was busy last night (Sat) but probably won't be as bad on Wed night. It is actually on the way back from where we have to drop off the dogs at the boarders so we can meet you there between 5:30 and 6 at the latest. We won't have our Smart with us then however. Two large dogs, bedding and food do not fit in our Smart :-(. Wish it did!

#29 ·
Vicky - Tia is hoping to leave Denver approximately 6:30 Kansas time. According to "bing" it should take them about three and a half hours to reach Colby. She has my cell number and when her GPS says she if close to Colby, she will call me and we will hook up as they pass through. Hope this helps you as I am totally unfamiliar with Kansas. Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.