Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,456 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
car2go experiences in DC?

Anyone experienced the service in the District? Please share.
Quote:
Wednesday night, I needed to get from Georgetown to Nationals Park. I hadn't driven there, and a bus-to-train commute would have taken 45 minutes. Instead I jumped into a Smart Fortwo I'd never seen before, scooted across the District in less than 20 minutes, and ditched the car in a metered space two blocks from the ballpark, without paying.
Wonder how the User managed to park without paying? The TOS specifies that «Members are responsible for any and all parking violations that may be issued.» Maybe the ticket is coming...
Source: The Borrow-At-Will, Park-Anywhere Smart Car : Discovery News
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 09:38 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,523 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
After registering online -- my RFID-chipped membership card showed up six days after I applied -- you rent a car by booking it through car2go's site, iOS app or third-party phone programs. Or you can walk up to one, tap your card on the sensor in its windshield, and wait about 30 seconds for it to confirm the reservation. Tap your PIN on the screen in the dashboard, and you're off.
You don't pay on the spot, but you do pay eventually.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
check out
http://www.car2go.com/washingtondc/e...dc_parking.pdf

from the way that I am reading it. You can park in any legal street parking space W/O paying the meter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
You can leave the car2go Smart in any spot that is designated in the Washington DC area, including many residential areas in the city that are marked with a zone permit specification.
Here is a link to the DC area that marks where one can park and leave the car, the yellow areas are marked as a "stopover" only spot.
car2go Washington, DC: The Operating Area
My experiences with car2go have been really great, I went to DC just to use some of my promotional minutes that i won at a car2go demo i went to, sought a car2go Smart in the downtown area using the app on my smartphone that helps me seek one out, and after it reads my card, allows me to enter my number, i was able to tool around in one of the Passions for an hour driving from Pennsylvania Ave NW to upper Connecticut Ave not far from the national Zoo with a brief stopover to get some bottled water, and i just left it in a nearby neighborhood ending my little journey. There were two other car2go Smarts awaiting a user, so it is obvious that people are using this little outfit. I only use it just to see what driving a Passion is like, and wow there are notable differences between the Passion and Pure. The seats are a little more comfy and there are a lot more little amenities to enjoy such as power windows and the cool panoramic roof. Of course the stare factor is always there with the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode