User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got rear ended

Looking to have some panels replaced to fix a rear end. If the price is right maybe change all the panels. Went to Alexandria Mercedes... they looked at the car and never got back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I'd try Ebay. They always have body panels on there.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks do you know anyone who can do the replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutki View Post
Thanks do you know anyone who can do the replacement
If you got rear-ended then it is an insurance claim against the other driver - or was it a hit and run? Your insurance company will tell you what body shop you can go for both claim estimate, parts and labor. You should not have to do anything.

Or if you are responsible and don't want to do the repair labor yourself, check out any auto body shop. It does not have to be a Mercedes dealer.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
If you got rear-ended then it is an insurance claim against the other driver - or was it a hit and run? Your insurance company will tell you what body shop you can go for both claim estimate, parts and labor. You should not have to do anything.

Or if you are responsible and don't want to do the repair labor yourself, check out any auto body shop. It does not have to be a Mercedes dealer.
Or it could be that it wasn't a major collision, enough to damage the body panels but not any of the underlying structure, and he doesn't want to take it to a body shop or anything and end up having an accident show up on CarFax. That really screwed me over with my 2009 ForTwo Brabus Coupe. Was hit twice. Once by a drunk driver who managed to clip the rear corner of the car in the middle of winter, which shattered the rear valance, wheel well liner, fender flare, and damaged the rear bumper. All cosmetic damage, but all CarFax shows is that there WAS damage from an accident. Then a tractor trailer was trying to back his trailer between my car and someone else's car like 2 spaces away, and the rear tire of the cab hit the front passenger fender and pushed it in, causing the wheel well liner to dislodge itself and slightly rub the tire. Again, cosmetic damage since nothing was damaged behind the panels.... CarFax only says accident damage.

That's one thing i HATE about CarFax and wish would change. If you're going to go the extra mile to have a history of how many owners the car had and all that other crap, why not have any accidents reported in DETAIL, so that someone can look at it and say "Oh, the plastic bumper cover was replaced? That's not bad." Rather than "Oh, this car was in two accidents. Don't want to go NEAR that."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
How would Carfax know about it? I presume that only insurance claim work shows up on Carfax reports.

A Carfax report by itself does not say much about the condition of a used car. It only provides help in what to look more closely at.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Is your car a 450, 451, or 453?
I have 450 body pieces for sale.
sykes05
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Thanked 1,230 Times in 875 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
If you take your vehicle in to a reputable collision shop. Any type of damage is report to Carfax. Not a big deal. It nice for the next buyer to know the history of a vehicle. A accident is a accident. Big or small.
Jo e Lefors likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to smark For This Useful Post:
Jo e Lefors (08-16-2019)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
If you take your vehicle in to a reputable collision shop. Any type of damage is report to Carfax. Not a big deal. It nice for the next buyer to know the history of a vehicle. A accident is a accident. Big or small.
This is true, and @Yinzer , this is what i was referring to. If he buys the panels and replaces them himself, no harm, no foul, no CarFax ding. But to say "an accident is an accident. Big or Small."..... have you ever tried trading in a car with accident history on CarFax? Saying what you did, i'm going to assume not? My 2009 Brabus, when it got hit the first time, it wasn't even a year old. I picked it up April 27, 2009. It got hit mid-December the same year. From that point on, it was never valued anywhere NEAR where it would have been had it not been hit. Believe at one point when i tried trading it in on a VW, Their offer was $3,000-4,000 less than what KBB valued it at for a trade in. And mind you, this was still early in Smart's life here in the US, when they were still relatively sought after and not readily available just sitting on Smart Center lots.

Now.... Do you think that the value of a car would be impacted the same if CarFax had DETAILED accident reports? Such as "low speed rear corner collision, fender cracked, inspection showed no structural damage." Or do you somehow think that the current "Rear end collision, air bags didn't deploy" system of showing "accident history" is comparable, if you even get THAT much reported?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:40 PM

41 years of selling insurance here...
If you can buy the panels and replace them yourself: it's better to have a car that shows up as "clean" on all the reports.
But since you got rear-ended: it's the other guy's responsibility anyway.
(unless it's a hit and run, or the other driver had no insurance...)
Let his company pay for the panels, and you can still replace them:without it showing up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« clubs | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode