LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanked 1,232 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElementalDragon View Post
This is true, and @Yinzer , this is what i was referring to. If he buys the panels and replaces them himself, no harm, no foul, no CarFax ding. But to say "an accident is an accident. Big or Small."..... have you ever tried trading in a car with accident history on CarFax? Saying what you did, i'm going to assume not? My 2009 Brabus, when it got hit the first time, it wasn't even a year old. I picked it up April 27, 2009. It got hit mid-December the same year. From that point on, it was never valued anywhere NEAR where it would have been had it not been hit. Believe at one point when i tried trading it in on a VW, Their offer was $3,000-4,000 less than what KBB valued it at for a trade in. And mind you, this was still early in Smart's life here in the US, when they were still relatively sought after and not readily available just sitting on Smart Center lots.

Now.... Do you think that the value of a car would be impacted the same if CarFax had DETAILED accident reports? Such as "low speed rear corner collision, fender cracked, inspection showed no structural damage." Or do you somehow think that the current "Rear end collision, air bags didn't deploy" system of showing "accident history" is comparable, if you even get THAT much reported?
As long as your car was fixed correctly. By a reputable collision shop. Big or small damage. Hail damage, scraped bumper, etc. Itís not going to hurt your resale value at. If I were going to buy a used car. I like to know if itís been repaired correctly. A disclosure of the work done, before I buy. That what Car Fax is all about. Knowledge before you buy. Make sense.

Iíd be worried about buying a totaled car, that been rebuilt. Like I had. A 1990 Accord. That was totaled. Rebuilt by a chop shop, in Texas. Resold to a person in Oklahoma. They gave me a call on the phone. They bought my car. Said it was prefect.
Wanted to know if I had any issues with it. I told them Allstate total that car. That information would have been in a Car Fax. If it was available back in 1990.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smark View Post
As long as your car was fixed correctly. By a reputable collision shop. Big or small damage. Hail damage, scraped bumper, etc. Itís not going to hurt your resale value at. If I were going to buy a used car. I like to know if itís been repaired correctly. A disclosure of the work done, before I buy. That what Car Fax is all about. Knowledge before you buy. Make sense.

Iíd be worried about buying a totaled car, that been rebuilt. Like I had. A 1990 Accord. That was totaled. Rebuilt by a chop shop, in Texas. Resold to a person in Oklahoma. They gave me a call on the phone. They bought my car. Said it was prefect.

Wanted to know if I had any issues with it. I told them Allstate total that car. That information would have been in a Car Fax. If it was available back in 1990.
Again, if Carfax was interested in getting detailed information about what happened, who fixed it, and to what extent, it would be great. But they have the absolute vaguest possible description ever, with whether or not the airbags were deployed being the biggest concern. As I said, my first Smart was hit twice (technically 3 times, but the second time someone only scraped the fender flare on the rear. Happened in a parking lot, and the guilty party either didn't notice what they had done, or didn't care).

Neither time it was hit was there any underlying damage done to the car. Only body panel damage. Both times it was repaired at a reputable body shop (the first one was even a very high-end body shop where I'd expect people to take their Maserati or Bentley). Carfax never said anything more than where the car was hit, and that the airbags were not deployed. That most definitely DOES impact the cars value. Maybe not so much if you're privately selling it, but trying to trade the car in at a dealership, they have no way to show what happened, or find out who fixed it and how well. All they have is that printout that tells them absolutely nothing about what happened. And just like you said, people don't want to buy a car without knowing if and what happened to it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Elemental D. I was just responding to you the other day because you thought you might look for body panels and I was just asking what model/Version do you have because it matters. I asked you if you have a 450, 451, or 453.
I have a brand new rear tailgate panel for a 450, that's all. I tend to think you must have a 451 which is the version of Smart Car that most people have here in the USA.
Thanks, sykes05

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« clubs | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode