LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Garage
smart fortwo (micro) Hybrid Drive

A special version of the fuel stingy Smart Fortwo was first shown at the 2007 Frankfurt Auto Show. It was called the Smart Fortwo Edition Micro Hybrid Drive. Like other Smart limited edition models, this exclusive MHD edition can be purchased now. However, as with the other Smart drive variants and limited edition Smart models it is not for sale in the United States. Daimler has introduced their Micro Hybrid Drive version with three engine options: two petrol versions at 61hp and 71hp, and a diesel version at 45hp - each more economic than the other.

Smart launched this exclusive special model to mark the production start of their new Smart micro hybrid drive. It came with a tridion safety cell done in silver; the body panels were a brilliant crystal white and had stylish nine-spoke alloy wheels.

Why use gas when you are not driving? Or why not try diesel?

German Chancellor Angela Merkel looks from a Smart Micro Hybrid Drive car during her opening tour over the 2007 International Automobile Show IAA in Frankfurt, Germany.

If you go to the German smart car site you can purchase this Smart MHD version for about $19,700.00. The MHD is available as a left-hand-drive version in and all markets, except North America.

The Smart MHD is rated at 71hp and is a particularly economical variant. The car features a stop/go function to lower emissions and increased gas mileage. The new model consumes 8 percent less fuel in the combined cycle, and 19 percent less fuel in urban traffic.

There is also a corresponding reduction in CO2 emissions.

Comparable to the systems previously in place in the Saturn Vue Green Line and some BMW's made for European-specifications, the Smart MHD isn't a complete hybrid.

This means that the Smart can't move on electric power alone. As an alternative, this approach helps reduce fuel expenditure by shutting off the motor.

The technique is straightforward and fully automatic.

The start/stop system is a belt-driven starter generator, replacing both the conventional starter and the alternator. The belt-driven starter generator provides the car's electrical system with power and it also starts the gas engine remarkably quickly in its subsequent function as a starter.

The new sophisticated start/stop function automatically shuts down the engine when fuel would otherwise be unnecessarily consumed. As in stop and go traffic.

The (MHD) micro hybrid drive switches off the engine as soon as the car falls below a speed of 5 mph and you press on the brake pedal.

The motor re-starts as soon as you release the brake pedal. This assures an immediate response and the start/stop function can be neutralized at any time with a switch on the console.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Arrow MHD smart for US

Why, oh why can't we get the MHD in North America. I LOVE my 2009 cabrio, which is has now given me 80K miles of happy driving. The electric is great, but not for someone who is not a city dweller, and spends a lot of time of the highway. The perfect improvement on our status quo is the hybrid. Many manufacturers are now producing hybrid models, so who needs to know there's a market for the smart hybrid waiting to catch up with the rest of the world??!!??
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
Micro Hybrid Drive != Hybrid engine. It's not electric at all. It just turns the engine off when you are stopped. Issues with belts (That I'm not super familiar with) meant that the car was more unreliable, and provided only very minor fuel economy benefits over the standard engine. In short, you don't really want the MHD.
Miss Mercedes and Huronlad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 AM
Mod ♥ 450/451/453 + Motos

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,648 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Garage
Indeed! I bet it would be a benefit out here in Chicago (where "standstill" defines most traffic in and out of the city until about midnight) but I've heard naughty things about that belt...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Accounts from overseas suggest that the MHD system is badly designed, and we are better off not having it. The belt drive is a big (bad) issue, and it causes a lot of other damage when (not if) it fails.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok. If no mhd in the US. Diesel!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Pee-wee Germa likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 04:40 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,928 Times in 896 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtretick View Post
Ok. If no mhd in the US. Diesel!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Wow! talk about waking a zombie thread...

BTW, no MHD, and the smart diesel is dead...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteNBlack08 For This Useful Post:
jwight (03-31-2015), Miss Mercedes (03-31-2015)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,816 Times in 3,528 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like some "news" is never too old....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,442 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
But I read it on the internet . . .

At some point, "news" can become history unless of course it's 2 a.m. and someone is surfing SCoA . . .

But then again maybe the automotive press can pick this MHD 2007 news up in a Google search and include it along with the 453's all-new aluminum "tridion shell," as they write about the NY Auto Show?
jwight and Miss Mercedes like this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
The main issue with the mhd is that the starter-alternator's pulley, in it's original design, wasn't absolutely perfectly aligned with the other pulleys on the engine, causing it to wear prematurely and inevitably break. I was lucky in that mine broke either within a block of when it last started the engine or possibly even in the parking lot where I parked and where it wouldn't start again, so there was very little to no damage to the engine. The fix is to add a spacer or two before fitting the starter-alternator to move it over just a millimetre or two so that it's aligned. There was no recall for this, but I believe there should've been.

I use it most of the time, except when my AC or headlights are on, because then I believe the drain on the battery is too much, but I really can't say how much difference it makes to the fuel consumption. I just wish they'd set it to switch the engine off about 15 seconds or so after coming to a stop, because as it is now it switches off at every stop, even when you would like to start moving again right away. I would like it to work mainly during longer periods of being stationary, such as at traffic lights or in really heavy traffic jams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode