post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,774 Times in 3,494 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
I thought you can disable the stop/start feature....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Ex Admin/mod.
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,455 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
The (MHD) micro hybrid drive switches off the engine as soon as the car falls below a speed of 5 mph and you press on the brake pedal.

The motor re-starts as soon as you release the brake pedal. This assures an immediate response and the start/stop function can be neutralized at any time with a switch on the console.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JPaul For This Useful Post:
jwight (05-27-2015), MB DNA (05-27-2015)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Garage
I think the point that was being made is you wouldn't want the engine to turn off as you come to a stop at a stop sign with no other traffic, but if you stopped at a red light, it should turn off. Toggling the switch on and off when you do/do not want the car to turn off If you're toggling the switch, you might as well just be turning the car off and on yourself.
stadleroux likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
Yes, of course, but the default setting is ON and that's where I leave it, as I've said, most of the time. I disable it when driving with my lights and/or AC on though. Don't like flicking it on and off for every possible instance where I may be stopping for shorter or longer periods... The switch isn't in a good location for doing that anyway.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlossyTheSmart View Post
I think the point that was being made is you wouldn't want the engine to turn off as you come to a stop at a stop sign with no other traffic, but if you stopped at a red light, it should turn off. Toggling the switch on and off when you do/do not want the car to turn off If you're toggling the switch, you might as well just be turning the car off and on yourself.
Exactly! Except, if you turned the car off with the ignition you'd also turn the radio off.

We have horrifically low levels of driver compliance to traffic laws here, and in resistance to that I try to stay in the habit of actually coming to a stop at stop signs, amongst other things, but the mhd, in a sense, is discouraging that, if you don't like the idea of the engine turning off every couple of blocks, that is.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:41 AM

I took it in for its annual service on Monday and was told that there was a modification that had to be done to the starter-generator, so I told the guy that mine had already had its starter-generator moved over to align it with the other pulleys, but apparently MB have now issued an instruction for something additional to be done on a "you bring it in for any work and we add three hours' labour for this fix" basis.

Anyhow, they kept it there overnight, which meant that I had to get a taxi home Monday afternoon and walk to work yesterday morning - the joy of living less than 2.5 km from work! - but in the end there was one small part they didn't have, so they couldn't perform the fix anyway and it will have to go back at a time when they've received the part and it'll be more convenient for me.

I intend to ask them what exactly it is they'll be doing this time around that wasn't done in the first instance after my V-belt had broken.
The Following User Says Thank You to stadleroux For This Useful Post:
jwight (06-03-2015)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode