Smart Car of America Forum banner

16 Amp Level 2 Charger With WiFi?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Yinzer 
#1 ·
I bought a basic home level 2 16 amp charger. I really wanted one with wifi but didn't want to pay the big bucks of a JuiceBox Pro. I don't need the 32 or 40 amps of a JuiceBox nor the $500 or more price. Does anyone make a 16 amp home charger with wifi? A Google search found nothing. Thanks, Tom

#2 ·
I think you are left to DIY solutions, at least at this price point.

#4 ·
eMotorWerks was making a "JuicePlug" that would turn any dumb L2 charger into a smart charger and it plugged in like an adapter between the charger and EV, but I don't see it on their site any longer. It may have been discontinued, but it was a neat idea. Maybe look around on eBay?

Other than that, I'm not aware of any cheap smart L2 chargers. I do have the JuiceBox Pro 40 unit and I really like it and it's capabilities with the phone app and data reporting, so something to keep in mind if you can't find anything else. I think they're running a sale right now for a few bucks off.

#7 ·
eMotorWerks was making a "JuicePlug" that would turn any dumb L2 charger into a smart charger and it plugged in like an adapter between the charger and EV, but I don't see it on their site any longer. It may have been discontinued, but it was a neat idea. Maybe look around on eBay?/QUOTE]

I called eMotorWorks and was told that the JuicePlug was discontinued a few years ago because it didn't work like they wanted it to. Maybe discontinued because they didn't want the JuiceBox to cause buyers to buy it for use with a cheap charger thus taking away the sale of a JuiceBox 32 or 40.

#5 ·
I would guess that thing was interrupting the charge by simply turning off the wallbox with a relay. Nothing I would recommend on al every day base.

#8 ·
I searched and searched but didn't find a 16 amp level 2 charger with wifi. The best I could find is a 120 vac plug in power monitor. It is not wifi but does show the kilowatt usage. You can set the cost per kilowatt hour based on what your electric company charges. I bought it on eBay for $13 with free shipping. It is listed ae: Century Plug-in Power Energy Watt Voltage Meter Electricity Usage LCD Monitor

Attachments

#10 ·
Why are you looking for exactly 16 amps? The Smart's on-board charger dictates the maximum current draw - which is about 15 amps at 240 volts AC. The EVSE kit I mentioned in the earlier post can also be set to any maximum current from 8 to 50 amps to protect the circuit it is connected to. So you can set it for 16 amps maximum and even if you plug another EV car into it (all of which have bigger on-board chargers than the Smart) it will limit the charging current draw to 16 amps. The Open EVSE also tracks watt-hour consumption just like those watt-meters in you post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.