Buying used ED HV battery dead need advice. - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Buying used ED HV battery dead need advice.

Hello I have been through the forums and a little mixed on the info.

Just bought at auction 2013 Smart ED with 20k.
From the pictures HV battery is dead and they jumped the 12 to get the dash to show the miles.
I called the battery assurance number and the extremely helpful lady informed me of the following.
-The car was actually a second owner lease return.
-It was just returned to the dealer last month the end of May.
-The previous owner did have and maintain the battery warranty.
-As what she shows the car is eligible for the warranty to be continued @$80 per month.
-The previous owner did keep up with the scheduled maintenance so if it ever needed a HV battery it would be eligible (if I chose to continue it that is).
-Battery maintenance and service was just done at the dealer in March of this year.

The car is 1200 miles away and I am working on transport seems there is a chance I will get it by Monday.

Out of curiosity I asked if I don't pay for the warranty what happens does MB disable the battery as I have read. She said no they cannot do that you are just out of luck for service and warranty.

My main questions that I cannot see to find conclusive answers to is:

-If the HV is totally dead will it take a charge (seems only a few weeks it would have been dead just at the auction).
-When I get the car what steps should I take when I get the car to have the best chance to get it going again.

She did note that if the battery was run all the way dead and or does not charge that even if I take the battery plan @$80pm they still most likely will not honor the replacement due to running dead is abuse. She said it is really up to the dealer but there is no guarantee.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

OK seems this forum for the Smart ED is dead I don't see many post or activity that'a a shame.

Any ways if there are ppl here somehow the haller got to me and delivered the car last nite just 25 hours for 1400 miles.

Since I am unsure I decided to charge the 12v battery first as it was totally dead. been on a 15amp charger about 10 hours now and says 80%.

The car turns on the HV battery is showing dead, there is a msg to charge the HV battery soon and another I believe HV system workshop.

The car did not have a charging cable I did not think it would so I had ordered on when I found out I actually was getting the car. That should show up today Amazon so once the 12v is full I will plug in the EV charger and see what happens.

Car has a big sticker property of MB USA LLC not for sale to be auctioned.

Rear cover over the motor was open, small hatch to back side of the charge cable was open.

The car as far as the car is in fantastic shape with and minor cleaning it will look new.

Issues I see are tires are original and dry rotting and then we have to see if it will charge.

Seems the original owners never took off the plastic from the factory on the floor so carpets look new.

Just really hoping I can get it to charge.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Pay the $80, push for replacement. Mine was replaced

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htiek Jenkins View Post
Pay the $80, push for replacement. Mine was replaced

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I do plan to get on the plan for $80 calling today.

Got the car and does not charge, I charged the 12v to full, then tried to charge the car, does have HV system workshop msg, when you turn off it says battery low charge now, I plug in and immediately it says charging malfunction.

Wish I knew the lowest cost OBD2 tool that could reset the HV sys workshop as I have read that this happens if the 12v goes low and needs to be reset before you can charge.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
No. If the 12 volt battery goes flat for an extended time, the traction battery totally discharges itself (by a mechanism that we still dont have details about) and is ruined. And a ruined traction battery pretty much totals the car.

I can't imagine that they would honor your BAP warranty when you are only starting payment after the traction battery is ruined.

There are stories of intrepid DIYers resurrecting the traction battery by taking the battery out, opening up the case, and charging it cell-by-cell (or groups of cells) with a benchtop DC power supply starting with an extremely slow charging current (10 milliamps or so). They then face a challenge getting the system re-enabled. It can presumably only be done with the proprietary MB Star syatem.

Why would ANYONE buy a car, sight unseen, that they know does not run?
MB DNA and sokoloff like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
No. If the 12 volt battery goes flat for an extended time, the traction battery totally discharges itself (by a mechanism that we still dont have details about) and is ruined. And a ruined traction battery pretty much totals the car.

I can't imagine that they would honor your BAP warranty when you are only starting payment after the traction battery is ruined.

There are stories of intrepid DIYers resurrecting the traction battery by taking the battery out, opening up the case, and charging it cell-by-cell (or groups of cells) with a benchtop DC power supply starting with an extremely slow charging current (10 milliamps or so). They then face a challenge getting the system re-enabled. It can presumably only be done with the proprietary MB Star syatem.

Why would ANYONE buy a car, sight unseen, that they know does not run?
Answer cheap at auction knew it could become a serious project car. Did call MB first and verified it could be covered so also figured lowers risk. If I get stuck it will be a great learning exp for the kids and myself.

According to MB as long as the old owner maintained it, it is offered to the new owner for the remainder if they opt in. As long as it is active and under warranty should not matter that the new owner just took it over. There are many cars not just Smart that have warranties for second owners and if it breaks day one they cover it this is nothing new. I have even purchased cars with a warranty, noticed issues that are covered and had the work done just before delivery. The real issue is just if it has a warranty or not and lets not forget someone has been paying $80pm for the past 6 years so about 6k has been paid in thus far. All I am doing is continuing to pay the $80 per month.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Garage
I'd sure do my best to get a printout of the VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Inquiry) for the car to verify what the dealer is telling you about a lot of things. It gives every maintenance item ever done on that car under warranty and/or at a Mercedes/Smart dealer. It is available from the dealer if you can convince them to give you a copy which is sometimes difficult.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloff View Post
I'd sure do my best to get a printout of the VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Inquiry) for the car to verify what the dealer is telling you about a lot of things. It gives every maintenance item ever done on that car under warranty and/or at a Mercedes/Smart dealer. It is available from the dealer if you can convince them to give you a copy which is sometimes difficult.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles
Well taking a chance I asked MB battery assurance to give me in writing that all maintenance has been kept up and that if this car were to ever need a battery it would be covered assuming I keep up the maintenance. So they are having it researched and will give me an answer they say in 24 hours.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Also found out today that the current battey was just replaced under the plan Feb 2019 so if it went dead due to the known design flaw of the 12v being dead what a shame and shame on MB for making such a sys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode