User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Case Studies Needed - ED Long Term Storage

We now have three threads from owners whose 451 EDs have been bricked after long term (more than 3 months) storage. We really need to get to the bottom of this issue. This is a call for reports from those who have successfully, or unsuccessfully, stored their ED for a month or more. Please describe in detail the conditions the car was stored in, such as:

State of charge when put in storage or whether it was kept plugged in for charging during the storage period

Range of temperatures during the storage period.

Whether any decline in the indicated state of charge was noticed during the storage period

The condition of the 12 volt accessory battery at the end of the storage period.

Whether the 12 volt battery was placed on a trickle(maintenance) charger during storage.

Any other useful information.

Thanks in advance!

(Moderator, can you make this a sticky?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Well, so much for cooperation from anyone on this issue...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,348 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry, I have no information on an ED, as I only own ICE cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like not that many EV owners are putting them in long term storage....
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,439 Posts
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Goodwin View Post
If Mercedes has produced a car which is totaled if it is left parked, and it gets out in the Media, no one will ever buy one of their cars.

I can see the articles now "Mercedes - Leave your headlights on and total your car"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
We now have three threads from owners whose 451 EDs have been bricked after long term (more than 3 months) storage. We really need to get to the bottom of this issue. This is a call for reports from those who have successfully, or unsuccessfully, stored their ED for a month or more. Please describe in detail the conditions the car was stored in, such as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Well, so much for cooperation from anyone on this issue...
The reality is, over the last 10+ years, often the first post by a newbie can be their tale of woe! From clear coat is peeling to the HV battery pack has died they come here in search of answers as M-B and smart has told them they will not help.

So they post to SCoA only to find that this is NOT a manufacturer moderated Forum and though we try to help, often our "advice" includes the reality that this is similar to previous failures for which their has been no smart love.

If Daimler/M-B/smart is not, has not compiled an Epistle that summarizes ED HV Battery Pack failures what hope is there for the SCoA ED owner - most if not all have moved on, licking their wounds???

Bottom line, we are on our own in uncharted EV/ED territory and M-B/smart doesn't care. Perhaps if and when the failures reach critical mass and someone initiates a lawsuit against smartUSA . . .
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:13 AM
SCOA Club

How to "awaken" smartUSA?

That being said - sometimes Social Media (in this case facebook) can be a very powerful tool with which to prod Corporate America.

If you have significant issues that are being ignored you might try smartUSA at - https://www.facebook.com/smartusa/

Or Instagram, Snapchat or maybe your local consumer driven "Action News" investigative reporter . . .
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
There are quite a few Bricked owners that have moved on...this is true . I might be one as well , my story is the thread "drive system engine off" . I am sure there are many more like mine. I have had some encouragement as I believe I can remove the battery , charge each pack separately (3 packs total ) and put the battery back in .

The power of social media might help but they can just delete any post that is not favorable . If I lived in a populated area I might try local news to help get the word out, but it is 3 hours away so not an option in my case .

I will keep the form up-dated as I progress ... UnCharted territory here we come !
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
The BMS tool issues forum has postings from a few people who have been working on this outside of the Daimler limitations

https://github.com/MyLab-odyssey/ED_BMSdiag/issues

And this one: https://github.com/MyLab-odyssey/ED_BMSdiag/issues/19#

From what I can see there are at least three possible failure causes out there:
  1. Uneven (weak) cell voltages
  2. Sensor failure
  3. Accident (safety fuse blown)

The last one isn't a storage problem but the first one is very likely to be the result of long storage.

Once a cell is under the minimum voltage it looks like the pack gets disabled. It may be possible to recover the pack by charging that cell and the pack above the minimum voltage level, but that requires opening the pack etc. and then subsequently doing a system reset with a diag machine.

My take away from all that is, don't ever leave your ED unused for long, or at least make sure its 90% charged before leaving it for a while.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:31 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucesmart View Post
There are quite a few Bricked owners that have moved on...this is true.
So as to not create panic, I’d recommend striking “quite” from the above sentence?

Although troubling, only “a few” ED’s with BRICKED HV batteries have been documented on SCoA. My SWAG is that we are seeing a BRICK rate of less than 3%?

Bear in mind that some may have knowingly bought an off-lease MBFS BRICK at a deep discount hoping that they could breathe life back into ED?

If ED doesn’t move under it’s own power and the dash won’t light up or displays multiple warnings - you are playing the ED LOTTO . . .
Blaine likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Seems like it is about the same as those ridiculous number of Tesla fires. Perhaps 1% of the rate of ICE vehicle fires...
MB DNA likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode