Smart Car of America Forum banner

Charger waterproof?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RickyM 
#1 ·
I just have the charger than came with my 2016 Smart. I don't have a garage but have a car port so it's pretty protected but with a storm may end up some rain. Just wondering how waterproof or maybe water resistant the charger is or do I need to put it inside or in my car when there is a storm?

#2 ·
There was a time when I had to park my Smart outside next to the garage. Used a heavy duty extension cord (the industrial 'Orange' ones). I put the charge box on a cut piece of 4x4 to elevate it out of puddles. Did this for a year (four seasons) without an incident...

#4 ·
OK then I feel real comfortable Since at the most it could get a few drops of water and a little bit of rain on it but it’s 3 feet up so there’s no way I’ll ever get flooded. Also thanks for the link to the supplement. I got the owners manual with my smart but didn't get the separate manual on the charger. Thanks for the reply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.