Charging issue - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Exclamation Charging issue

I own a 15' Smart ED and for the last 6 months I have been using a 14 gauge 25 foot cable from my apartment to my Daimler-Smart standard Level one charger. Too add to safety I have been using it only in the afternoons and night during only certain weather conditions. I have access to a charger at work and on campus near by also. My issue started when I came home from the weekend and found my roommate using the cable(14 gauge) to connect to a 12 volt jump pack on connected to his 12 volt car battery. I told him to NOT DO THAT AGAIN. Anyways, after he moved his car I plugged my car in and the red light went flashing and refused to charge. According to the manual that LED flashing red means: "A malfunction is detected in the external power supply. The high voltage battery will be charged when the current signal reaches a normal value." So I went to Home Depot, got my old cable returned and replace for a 12 gauge 50 foot cable; Just in case the cable died and I actually need cable that could handle the power. That cable then also, gave me a the same issue. I then tried a different outlet, same result. I am now, today, going to turn off my by breaker and turn it back on; in case the building had a electrical issue over the weekend. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do.. If you have any solutions let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Garage
Can you get the car to either the chargers at work or on campus or even a regular 110v outlet to eliminate or verify the problem is or isn't with the extension?

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 9,500 miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to attempt to charge it on campus, it maybe the charger itself if it still doesn't work there. I charged it at a Blink Station yesterday on my way home for a while and worked there so it's not the vehicle. I did however shut off the breaker and turn it on, the issues was fixed for a 30 seconds and failed again. I may try a different space on the breaker, in case the breaker is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,423 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandypool View Post
I own a 15' Smart ED and for the last 6 months I have been using a 14 gauge 25 foot cable from my apartment to my Daimler-Smart standard Level one charger.

So I went to Home Depot, got my old cable returned and replace for a 12 gauge 50 foot cable; Just in case the cable died and I actually need cable that could handle the power.
By changing the cable size and length you have added a new variable that could have muddied up the water as we apply SCoA "virtual" CSI???

A lower gauge number means larger wires with lower electrical resistance & greater load-carrying capacity BUT you doubled the length to 50 feet! Might want to look at the circuit breaker size - 12 AWG would probably better pair with a 20 Amp breaker?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, it's the OEM Charger. I just direct plugged into a few different sockets on campus and same error occurred. Any suggested L1 3rd party chargers?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
My issue started when I came home from the weekend and found my roommate using the cable(14 gauge) to connect to a 12 volt jump pack on connected to his 12 volt car battery. I told him to NOT DO THAT AGAIN.
Why? This was much less load on the extension cord and circuit than your use of the car charger. I wouldn't think twice about this as it's almost surely irrelevant to anything that happened later and did not damage the extension cord.
Quote:
I then tried a different outlet, same result. I am now, today, going to turn off my by breaker and turn it back on; in case the building had a electrical issue over the weekend. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do.. If you have any solutions let me know.
Take the charger and car to a completely different electrical service for testing. Any neighbor, any parking garage with an outlet exposed, whatever. Verify that there's some combination that will get you a green/good charge setup. Then, as best you can, change one thing at a time. Get a green with the charger directly on the outlet? Then add the extension cord. Get a green there? Then take it back to your house and try it.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
If your EVSE is bad and isn't under warranty, you can get a Nissan LEAF plug-in charger for $150 or so on Ebay. That'll charge at a comparable rate to your factory charger.

The smart chargers also come up on Ebay every now and again; they tend to go for more money (not for any particularly good technical reason).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Possibly bad charger

I noticed there are several on Amazon that you could buy new. Ebay sometimes has things used in the same condition you are in now. You might also pick up one of the cheap outlet testers at a hardware store. It plugs into a 120 outlet and has 3 lights of which 2 should light. If only one lights you have lost a connection in the outlet, probably ground. If the wrong one lights the outlet is wired wrong.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I own a 15' Smart ED and for the last 6 months I have been using a 14 gauge 25 foot cable from my apartment to my Daimler-Smart standard Level one charger. Too add to safety I have been using it only in the afternoons and night during only certain weather conditions. I have access to a charger at work and on campus near by also. My issue started when I came home from the weekend and found my roommate using the cable(14 gauge) to connect to a 12 volt jump pack on connected to his 12 volt car battery. I told him to NOT DO THAT AGAIN. Anyways, after he moved his car I plugged my car in and the red light went flashing and refused to charge. According to the manual that LED flashing red means: "A malfunction is detected in the external power supply. The high voltage battery will be charged when the current signal reaches a normal value." So I went to Home Depot, got my old cable returned and replace for a 12 gauge 50 foot cable; Just in case the cable died and I actually need cable that could handle the power. That cable then also, gave me a the same issue. I then tried a different outlet, same result. I am now, today, going to turn off my by breaker and turn it back on; in case the building had a electrical issue over the weekend. If that doesn't work, I have no idea what to do.. If you have any solutions let me know.
Were you ever able to resolve this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode