Charging your Smart on a Tesla AC wall or "destination" Charger - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Charging your Smart on a Tesla AC wall or "destination" Charger

While scoping out charging locations in my area (on Plugshare) for a particular longer trips in my Smart - I am encountering a lot of charging locations where only Tesla "destination charging" (i.e. 240v AC) is available (often hotels) - or at best (at shopping centers, supermarkets or restaurants) three Tesla and only one J1772) is available. And worse, Tesla drivers are sometimes preferring to use the J1772 station because the J1772 station charges faster according to a Tesla owner on PlugShare. Recall that all Teslas come with a J1772-to-Tesla adapter.

So what we really need is a Tesla-to J1772 adapter which allow us lower-class EV schmucks to charge off the Tesla stations and level the playing field. There is one here - bit pricey at $230. But if Tesla chargers are going to crowd out the J1772 stations and limit my charging options, I may have no choice but to get one.

UMC-J1772 Store

Last edited by Yinzer; 02-15-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Removed remarks after more info obtained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I would definitely say that's a good idea. Just in my area, there are only 2-3 Tesla Chargers (mostly private at hotels), but 100-200 j1772 Chargers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,801 Times in 3,515 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
As a non-EV owner I'm out of the loop on this but assume any adapter would not work at a Tesla supercharger location......

Also, what's the etiquette at a Tesla destination charger if a non-Tesla is charging and a Tesla pulls up in need of a charge.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:56 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Why mooch off Tesla's stations when there's plenty of Level 2 stations to go around?
MB DNA likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

At some needed charging locations for trips in certain directions in my area - especially in outer suburban areas, the Tesla charging stations are outnumbering the J1772 ones - such as a row of two or three Tesla units and one J1772. Regarding the etiquette - a few considerations:

1. Teslas can charge on either type of charging station (they all come with a J1772 plug adapter). Sometimes, the Tesla owner may even prefer to plug into the lone available J1772 if it is set to allow a higher charge rate. That would block me out of charging if I don't have an adapter.

2. The free destination charging stations themselves are subsidized by Tesla, but the electricity is provided by the store, restaurant or retail property owner, not Tesla. The retail/restaurant businesses probably prefer Teslas becasue of the mostly correct perception that Tesla owners are likely to be richer and spend more money at the destination.

3. I have yet to see any posted legal notices at the charging locations that Tesla charging stations are for the exclusive use of Tesla owners under penalty of trespass. Without such a posting, and the lawyers to enforce it, the Tesla Corp or the property owner cannot discriminate which make of EV uses free-to-the-public charging stations. Certainly Musk himself has said that he supports all EV development, not just his own.

4. No, of course this adapter cannot be used for Tesla super chargers or any other kind of HVDC charging.

Last edited by Yinzer; 02-14-2019 at 10:50 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
You should get the Voltage meter to test the voltage output before connecting your vehicle, the site notes.

I have seen destination chargers with "Teslas Only", but if yours doesn't probably best to test the voltage as mentioned....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:11 AM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,436 Posts
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
2. The free destination charging stations themselves are subsidized by Tesla, but the electricity is provided by the store, restaurant or retail property owner, not Tesla. The retail/restaurant businesses probably prefer Teslas becasue of the mostly correct perception that Tesla owners are likely to be richer and spend more money at the destination.
Got "citation?"

InsideEVs said . . .

"But what goes on behind the scenes? How does Tesla determine locations? Do they own them? Rent them? If so, for how long? What is the cost? How long does it take to set a station up? How much land do they require? Is there is minimum on spaces?

Basically, Tesla covers all the cost, does the set-up themselves, and pays whatever electricity the Superchargers draw from the local utility…and all they ask in return is some prime real estate, ideally located, for a half decade or so."

https://insideevs.com/tech-crunch-wh...arger-partner/

Fortune says . . .
Free Supercharging for Life? Tesla Says 'No More'

Tesla Ends Free Supercharging for Life Offer | Fortune
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwight View Post
. . . what's the etiquette at a Tesla destination charger if a non-Tesla is charging and a Tesla pulls up in need of a charge.....
Per Tesla website . . .

"A non-Tesla car is parked in a Supercharger stall, what should I do? Most Supercharger stalls are reserved for Tesla charging but some stalls allow general parking.

Please be aware of stall signage and if a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a Supercharger stall for greater than the posted time limits, please notify us at [email protected]."

https://www.tesla.com/support/supercharging
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

MB-DNA:

This is not about the Tesla superchargers. Of course a high voltage DC charger, Tesla or otherwise, would not work with this adapter which is for 208-240 (rarely 277) volt AC level 2 charging.

This adapter is for regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers.

And if someone with a Tesla, or other EV, it an ICE is going to block me from charging at a only J1772 plug, or the J1772 is malfunctioning, of course I'm going to, if I have the adapter, plug into the Tesla charging station. I'm otherwise stuck. Are Eaton charging station only for electric cars with an "Eaton" logo on them? Are Clipper Creek charging station only for cars with "Clipper Creek" logo on them? 60 Hz AC electrons are 60 Hz AC electrons. And if someone is offering those electrons as a courtesy to the public, than anyone can use them!

And yes, most Tesla owners in some Tesla fora I researched are perfectly fine with other EV's using them. We're all in this together.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 PM
SCOA Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
This is not about the Tesla superchargers. Of course a high voltage DC charger, Tesla or otherwise, would not work with this adapter which is for 208-240 (rarely 277) volt AC level 2 charging.

This adapter is for regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers.
Thanks for the clarification - NOT familiar with the "adapter."

The infrastructure in my non-CARB state limited range world, does not include many PRIVATE "regular AC Tesla wall EVSE's and destination chargers" except at a few of the newer upscale hotels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode