Smart Car Forums

Smart Car Forums (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/)
-   smart fortwo Electric Drive (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/)
-   -   Dead Battery (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f170/dead-battery-153270/)

Yinzer 03-22-2019 06:38 PM

Foolios: "Do you know how many watts the traction battery will provide for charging the 12v battery?"
-------
No, it would be a good thing to know, though. If you are thinking about a high-draw accessory, you are limited by the fuse for whatever circuit you are connecting it to though. And most accessories in the Smart are controlled by the SAM - damaging that is a very expensive repair.

"Dang, how often does this happen? I have a 2014 ED, can I add some sheathing to the wiring at that point to protect it from that issue?"
-------
I think the wear problem is primarily in the rear quarter-panel area - near the charge receptacle behind the plastic interior trim panel in front of the taillight access panel. The drivetrain control unit, the wires to the onboard charger, and a several wire bundles are packed in this space and one or two wire bundles can wear on metal frame parts in this area. It was bad design.

Yinzer 03-22-2019 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnyoung39 (Post 1661724)
Thanks, Zinzer for the info regarding the type of 'jump start' the 12-volt system needed. I thought that the small jump assist units out there, like the Halo I used, would do it, but no, they won't.

Happy to see the ordinary jump worked!

Besides the Smart, I find it hard to believe that these Halos can actually crank an IC engine car if a battery is completely dead. One would think that once connected in parallel with a much larger capacity dead battery, their voltage would sag too much to turn the starter. They might work with a marginally low battery maybe, but not a completely dead one like when you leave a dome light on for a few days.

Until I see one work myself, I'll file them under "gimmick". They way they give their capacity in milliwatt-hours to make the number look more impressive was the hint I needed.

Foolios 03-22-2019 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yinzer (Post 1661818)
Foolios: "Do you know how many watts the traction battery will provide for charging the 12v battery?"
-------
No, it would be a good thing to know, though. If you are thinking about a high-draw accessory, you are limited by the fuse for whatever circuit you are connecting it to though. And most accessories in the Smart are controlled by the SAM - damaging that is a very expensive repair.

Thanks for the info about the harness wires. I'ma gonna add some kind of protection around the wires.

Well, I was thinking of drawing directly from the battery via a separate fused load. I don't wanna draw through any other wiring or accessory. I was hoping I could find out how many watts the traction battery will provide to keep the 12v battery from running too low. But then now that you mention it, I wonder if there is a fuse from the traction battery to the 12v battery. If so, that would tell me what the max watts I could draw before blowing that fuse.

Yinzer 03-23-2019 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foolios (Post 1661824)
Well, I was thinking of drawing directly from the battery via a separate fused load..... But then now that you mention it, I wonder if there is a fuse from the traction battery to the 12v battery. If so, that would tell me what the max watts I could draw before blowing that fuse.

According to page 21 of the ED General Service Information (see one of the stickys above) there is a 12V charging prefuse between the power electronics control unit (in the engine compartment) and the battery. The physical location of the fuse or its value, I don't know.