User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Electric shut down

My recent purchase is a 2014 Smart Electric with 15,000 miles and I love it. Yesterday I had a problem, after parking for about 30 minutes when I tried to start, I got a "Brake Failure" warning "take to service." All electric systems shut down, no radio, no window open. I am 30 miles from the nearest dealer and it is two days from Christmas so I guessed I would not get rapid service. I opted to call for a tow to my home, 2 miles away. I specified I need a flat bed tow truck because of the short wheel base, insurance company agreed. An hour or so later tow driver arrives with a stubby truck (not a flatbed) he is convinced he can give me a jumper start to get me on my way. His first question to me was, "where is the battery?" To which I answered, "which one? You are not going to attach your jumper cables to either." After more bickering he agreed to get me a flatbed driver. An hour later a driver with a flatbed truck arrives and I spoof you not, his first question was, "where is the battery?" By now I was a little on edge so I decided to show him, opened the back, raised the carpet and said, "see, no user access." OK fine, I convinced him I didn't need a jump start. To get to his truck we needed to push the car back about 10 feet turn and forward about 10 feet. As he was pushing, the dash display came on, radio came on and I was able to move the windows! With that I sent the tow driver on his way and drove home. My guess is that it was some sort of computer glitch and I will cautiously drive my Smart locally for a while keeping in mind that when I park I may need to push it back and forth from the spot.

My question is: has anyone else experienced this sort of shut down with your electric vehicle? Is this a common failure?
halfcack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, glad you got it working. One time occurrence Or ?????
I'll bet now you're glad you live "Only" 30 miles from the dealership.
Are you still planning on taking it into the dealership, to have them check it out?
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
The mechanic was correct. There IS user access to the 12-volt accessory/system battery - an ordinary lead-acid battery. It is under the passenger side forward (footrest part) of the floor - same place the emergency tire inflator/sealer kit and screw-in bumper tow hook is. It can and sometimes (if you leave lights on overnight like I did once) must be be jumped in order for the car to be turned on.

Read the manual!

My best guess is that your problem is a loose connection at the accessory battery - or maybe the battery itself.

And while a flatbed or trailer is ideal, a Smart ED can also be towed by the rear wheels with the steering wheel secured so the front wheels don't move. Alternatively, if you can get in neutral (which requires system power), towing it by the front wheels is ok if you are only going a couple miles at low speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Also, you need to move this discussion over to the Smart Electric Drive forum - you will find much more help there!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Garage
Moved...
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 05:01 AM

Garage
Interesting few of the posts were lost in the move, there were 2 pages. Hmmmm?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
SCOA Club

Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Garage
I moved the complete file so nothing should have been lost. Sorry if something got misplaced.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvw57 View Post
I moved the complete file so nothing should have been lost. Sorry if something got misplaced.
I was probably thinking of a different post, sorry.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
The mechanic was correct. There IS user access to the 12-volt accessory/system battery - an ordinary lead-acid battery. It is under the passenger side forward (footrest part) of the floor - same place the emergency tire inflator/sealer kit and screw-in bumper tow hook is. It can and sometimes (if you leave lights on overnight like I did once) must be be jumped in order for the car to be turned on.

Read the manual!

My best guess is that your problem is a loose connection at the accessory battery - or maybe the battery itself.

And while a flatbed or trailer is ideal, a Smart ED can also be towed by the rear wheels with the steering wheel secured so the front wheels don't move. Alternatively, if you can get in neutral (which requires system power), towing it by the front wheels is ok if you are only going a couple miles at low speed.
The shut down problem continues to happen probably once in ten starts. I have checked the 12V battery, all connections are tight, granted the car is 4 yrs old now. In my opinion batteries last longer these days, my 2009 Passion is still on it's first battery. I am wondering where the generator is that charges the 12V battery. Many of my trips are under 3 miles. I have had "charge 12V battery NOW" message on a couple non-start occasions. After connecting a charger, it indicated "Full Charge" almost instantly I am ruling out 12V battery and am convinced it is some sort of computer glitch. I did hit a really large pothole that destroyed two wheels and probably shook up the electronics. Until I can drive to the dealer my fix for when this non-start happens is to push the car slightly forward (4 ft) and so far it reverts to a normal start.

On a different note; I replaced all four wheels with 16 inchers and high performance low profile tires. Then I read a MotorTrend article telling me cool sporty wheel/tire combinations will decrease the range of an electric vehicle, not significantly with my driving so far. The tires have a 40Z rating (drive flat at 40mph) which I like.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-31-2018, 06:42 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo e Lefors View Post
I was probably thinking of a different post, sorry.
I believe you were on to something, unless somebody else had a very similar post. I thought I replied about the 12v battery already. I don't see any receipt of that now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode