LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoof View Post
I had her charging since 12pm, and it's taking about 16 hours to charge on the standard charger.
Even with the current cold snap it should take @ 10 hours if you are charging at the high amperage setting which I think you can only select from the charger "brick", press the button until you get four led's.

And I think the color combo you got is the best apart from the matte gray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Garage
I was told from my Smart SA not to use that unless you need a faster charge, but it will discharge a little quicker with usage. He said the slow charge is a deeper charge and will help prolong the charge, or something to that effect. I did push the button during the charge to see how much of a difference it would make and it cut down the charge by like 3 hours or so, meaning it still would have taken at least 13 hours to go from 20-100%. Can anyone shed some light on this, if pushing the quick charge button will drain the battery at the same rate as the standard speed charge? I mean if there's no difference, why would they even give you the option? I mean of course you would want it to charge quicker!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #103 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 AM

Garage
Ah, I love the smell of bull**** in the morning. I am afraid that your salesperson is fluent in it. I am sure others will chime in with the details.

The reason the charger has two amperage settings is to allow for electric outlets that are less than ideal for charging. For example, if your charger is plugged into the same circuit as a major appliance the appliance may draw too much current to allow the charger to work at the higher amperage setting. Best policy I think is to always set it at the higher setting and let the charger itself go down to the lower setting if there are problems with the circuit, which I have seen mine do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabellas View Post
Best policy I think is to always set it at the higher setting and let the charger itself go down to the lower setting if there are problems with the circuit, which I have seen mine do.
That's interesting! I never saw mine do that when I was experimenting with extension cords. Can you give more details on what happened?

I don't think this would work if there are other draws on the same circuit, as that will trip the breaker supplying the circuit. If that happens, reset the breaker and try again at 8A.

The part about "deeper charge" is hilarious!
post #105 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:25 AM

Garage
You know, I was thinking about something...I had my friend's ED for a night and put it to charge (before I knew anything about these things). The plug in my garage was high up, and wouldn't reach the car with the garage door closed to charge it. I ran an extension cord (industrial sized), it was probably a 50 foot cord, though it was all reeled up, I used like 6 feet of it (yes I know, the current is still travelling through all 50 feet). Anywho, I had maybe 50% battery before I plugged it in. The next morning, it wasn't quite at 100%, but I had somewhere around 90-95% battery. No errors/red lights on the charger while charging through an extension cord. It may not have given it a full charge because of power loss through the extension cord, but it did charge with no errors.

Makes sense?
post #106 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
A little birdie told me that Smart is working on a 240v portable charger
You can get portable chargers for 240v, the GE Watt Station and Bosch Power Xpress being two examples that can be ordered that way from the factory. (I actually have the latter, with a 6-50 plug, installed in my garage.) The problem usually is finding a plug to plug them into, since most homes, businesses, and/or RV parks don't have 240v sockets. If they do, there are a few types of sockets depending on amperage (5-40, 6-50, etc), and most are not downward compatible without a plug adapter.

As for defaulting to the slower setting on the 120v charger from smart, that's default to prevent the car from over-drawing on a circuit. Most residential circuits are wired for 15A service. The charger operates at 8A or 12A, defaulting to 8A.

I'm sure if you've had a 12A vacuum, you'll understand why 8A is the default at startup. You turn on the vacuum, and right away or shortly after (when the coffee pot turn on it's warmer, for example) you blow the fuse. Now imagine having that vacuum on for 13 hours...

As for the battery, the car will auto-regulate the amount of power it pulls in if you use the charge and depart feature so it knows when you want to use the car next. It will lower the charge rate as is best for the pack (based on heat, resistance, and other factors) to charge within the allotted time. The Charge Now setting, by contrast, always charges the car at the fastest rate available (based on settings/charger) until fully charged.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Shoof (01-09-2014)
post #107 of 205 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Cliiper Creek LCS25 which is a great portable charger for $495. I have made several adapters for it.
post #108 of 205 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Cool

We just received our smart ED's, both in white, amazing little car! With the $99 lease they are paying us to drive it vs the old gas car.

It has a surprising amount of space inside including the cargo area, was able to fit a bunch of grocery no problem. Love the way it zips around and parking is super easy. Doesn't feel small at all inside and the clear roof is spectacular.

Plenty of range for us, since we mostly drive around town. For longer distance we have the Volt so our EV family is complete. A couple L2 chargers keeps them happy.

Love this car and the EV experience, never go back to full ICE car again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6393.gif
Views:	115
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	9265  
post #109 of 205 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,808 Times in 3,521 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
to SCoA!
post #110 of 205 (permalink) Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all. I haven't posted much, but have lurked for some time. I have a '13 Brabus Gas, and once I had the chance to drive an ED, didn't look back. I just picked her up today. It's so much better a ride. The range anxiety will take some getting used to. We had some crazy record low temps today. I had barely 50 miles on a full battery. I had her charging since 12pm, and it's taking about 16 hours to charge on the standard charger. I don't know because it's so cold today or what, but I sure as heck hope that it was a one time occurrence and expect to have some normal charging times after we get some warmer weather. Methinks I need a higher powered charger, like STAT. Anywho, what do you think? Black's not my first choice, but all I had to choose from was silver, red or black. My Brabus is Silver, so I didn't want two of the same. Red isn't me, so Black it is. Maybe I'll wrap it in an interesting color, we shall see!

Sounds like you like to drive it a lot! Time for a Jesla EVSE.

Tags
453 , electric drive , new york , smart center ny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode