User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
MB_DNA, you have a frightening point.

My mother has forceful fingers. Her '09 C350 came with Homelink, and she would press the little button quite hard. So hard in fact it got stuck in and the gate proceeded to close in and "bite" her car. I took it to the local dealer and said the button is getting stuck, expecting they might replace the mirror, which has the Homelink integrated in. I was told it was the way the button was pressed. I was sent home with "my tail between my legs".

On the flip side:

Interesting thought. At that price for the replacement dessicant filler, one could refill it what, maybe every 3 months? (Sorry I'm on my phone and calculations like this are not my forte). You could be keeping your battery mighty dry....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
I want to get the color change beads that were linked earlier in the thread, see what they look like after 6mo. The OE beads look yellowed, which I assume means they're holding moisture.

I'm pretty confident that the ED is the modern cockroach of the car world (the Volvo and MB 240s being the originals).
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
We're on our third cartridge and I have the old one and the one in the car. For what it's worth, the beads in mine are a lot lighter than the brown colour in the OP image.

I think i'll probably refill the one I have and the one that's in the car at least once. That should take me out another six years and the car will have paid for itself in gas savings by that point.

One thing about the OEM beads is that they are fairly chunky. Maybe 3mm diameter? Most of the cheap beads I've seen are smaller in size.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Garage
If you have a College nearby, stop by the Chemistry Department, and see if they can toss the used cartridge in a vacuum chamber for a day or two.

Boil the water out at room temperature...
jzchen likes this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
My 89 Lincoln GTC has a desiccant for the airride suspension , I remove the beads (which turn purple with saturation ) and bake in the oven to dry them out (turn yellow when dry) , I only have to do this every two years since I put less than 800 miles a year on it .
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Before I owned my 2013 in June 2017 the previous dealers did the maintenance on schedule.
Battery was erroring on July 2017 and the dealer gave me free warranty replacement.
One cause was said to be previous dealers had not done the correct steps.
My dealer said it was not my fault so they replaced it anyway.

Be careful if you do have a warranty, if the do not show the dealer visit in computer, you are screwed!
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post

Be careful if you do have a warranty, if the do not show the dealer visit in computer, you are screwed!
Actually that's not true unless maybe if you are leasing the battery. You are under no obligation to use the dealer for service as long as it gets done.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,000 miles
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post
Before I owned my 2013 in June 2017 the previous dealers did the maintenance on schedule.
Battery was erroring on July 2017 and the dealer gave me free warranty replacement.
One cause was said to be previous dealers had not done the correct steps.
My dealer said it was not my fault so they replaced it anyway.

The cartridge is a 2yr maintenance item, your battery was improperly manufactured it was no fault of improper maintenance. If there is enough condensation that this filter can't keep up, the cooling system has a major issue. Again, this would have occurred during assembly of the pack. Dealers will say anything to get you to come in for service.

By letter of the law, showing I replaced the consumable is all I need to ensure the warranty is enacted - also only the battery check is required by MB for the "lease," par MBFS.
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Think the blue colored version with the cobalt chloride will be ok to use?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBRBESC..._detail_2?th=1
The white version posted also turns yellow when saturated. Doesn't that mean it's also using cobalt chloride or is the white still the better choice?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071QX7228...vert-amazon-20

Edit:
I went with the white beads. It seemed like one less concern was the better option.

Last edited by Foolios; 05-22-2018 at 07:37 PM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Does popping the lid look like it might degrade the integrity of the cap staying on? Is this even a concern?

This should drive pricing down...
I had one of the thin plastic strips that go across the top that helps hold that little tab in place crack. The cap still closed pretty well anyways after exchanging out the beads with new. The other two tabs are holding the lid on.
And like another poster wrote, that's at the top. So I'm hoping that the cover is also held in place by being near a ceiling in the compartment. Maybe someone else knows if that is indeed the case.
I'll check it in a few weeks or so to see if it's all holding well in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode