How to: Reuse your old Desiccant filter - Page 3 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
I am assuming you could squeeze your head under there to take a peek at whatís up when you remove the desiccant? (Iím afraid I donít have an ED to do so...)

Sorry to read that the plastic has started to crack! Super glue?

I noticed that there is a slight discrepancy with the proper tool Allen vs. T90. Iíd be OC and search for a T90. But Iím hoping the Allen tool does not damage the fitting.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting thread and interesting procedure. For me I would never do this while the battery is still under warranty. For a cost of $25/year, it's worth it to me to have the correct complete part in place just in case a warranty issue comes up. After the warranty is up, I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'll likely just continue to replace the part with a new one.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,000 miles
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'd like to see some more input on this subject matter.
Is there really much difference between Desiccant beads?
If not, I would imagine as long as you are creating of log of their replacement that that would be sufficient.
With a price of ~$14 for a 1.5lb bag that has more than enough to provide quite a few changes, I will be inclined to exchange the beads with new each year instead of waiting until 2 years.
I won't even bother to microwave dry them for an extra use. There's plenty in the bag for an exchange on a shorter schedule.

That seems like a real plus and going above and beyond at a fraction of the cost; as long as there isn't a large variation or an unknown special blend of bead that is the original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
For those who would rather not give Amazon their money, I bought the EU-approved orange indicating type (blue cobalt chloride is a listed toxic substance in the many places outside the USA) straight from the distributor here:

https://dryndry.com/collections/best...desiccant-bead

And as they clearly explain on the site, Silica gel can be reused by placing in a 250F oven until the color reverses - and you can feel safe using the non-toxic orange indicating (or white beads) in your kitchen oven.

Last edited by Yinzer; 09-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Garage
I wonder how important that desiccant cartridge really is. I think some electrics don't even have such a thing. I'll continue to use the factory part and change it every two years as suggested at least during the warranty period. That means one more change for me and I'll wait to hear a good report from you.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 16,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 7,000 miles
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 12:22 PM

It seems to be a reasonable design measure. The battery case is a unventilated sealed "can" and large temperature changes in humid temperate climates (and it's been "humid" with a vengeance up my way this year) can cause condensation - which is would not be good as the battery case contains a lot of PC boards and relays - the battery-management/cell balancing syatem, the high voltage contactor relays and probably other stuff.

The alternative design measure would be to design the battery case as a airtight sealed unit that is purged of air and filled with a dry moisture free gas (typically dried nitrogen), then never opened and/or re-purged with dry nitrogen if it is.

Using a desiccant seems to be the simpler solution.
sokoloff likes this.

Last edited by Yinzer; 09-09-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:05 PM

I finally had a nice dry day to replace the desiccant before winter set in.

1. I can verify that, in place of an expensive T-90 Torx bit, or large hex key, a plain old 14mm or 9/16 inch bolt head works perfectly for loosening and tightening the desiccant cartridge.

2. The cap on the cartridge came off easily with a small screwdriver pushing the locking tabs in one at a time while pulling it out. The old beads were dumped out and new ones were put in and the cap replaced. The cartridge was reinstalled with a little silicone plumbing grease on the threads and the gasket mating surface to assure airtghtness and prevent seizing.

3. Total cost of procedure - maybe $1.00 at most and a half hour of my time. Enough orange-indicating type silica gel beads for at least 15-20 changes cost $16. Available from "Dry and Dry" at the link on my previous post. These beads are a bit smaller than the original ones - but this is probably better (more silica-gel mass and surface area).

The beads can be dried in an oven or microwave on low and reused for a totally cost-free job, but when I tried this with the old beads, a strong organic-solvent odor was produced so I aborted the procedure. Are they absorbing something else in the battery pack besides moisture? I'll try again with the new beads in a year.

Last edited by Yinzer; 11-12-2018 at 04:19 PM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
I can verify that, in place of an expensive T-90 Torx bit, or large hex key, a plain old 14mm or 9/16 inch bolt head works perfectly for loosening and tightening the desiccant cartridge.

The cartridge was reinstalled with a little silicone plumbing grease on the threads and the gasket mating surface to assure airtghtness and prevent seizing.

The beads can be dried in an oven or microwave on low and reused for a totally cost-free job, but when I tried this with the old beads, a strong organic-solvent odor was produced so I aborted the procedure. Are they absorbing something else in the battery pack besides moisture? I'll try again with the new beads in a year.

Thanks Yinzer,

I replaced mine with an OEM but kept the cartridge, but I'm definitely interested in next year's report! Do please let us know how the silicone grease works in the long haul.

For the T-90 I bought an after market one on aliexpress. OK price and a perfect fit. Prefer the correct tool, but whatever works well is good.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
I finally had a nice dry day to replace the desiccant before winter set in.

1. I can verify that, in place of an expensive T-90 Torx bit, or large hex key, a plain old 14mm or 9/16 inch bolt head works perfectly for loosening and tightening the desiccant cartridge.

2. The cap on the cartridge came off easily with a small screwdriver. The old beads were dumped out and new ones were put in and the cap replaced. The cartridge was reinstalled with a little silicone plumbing grease on the threads and the gasket mating surface to assure airtghtness and prevent seizing.

3. Total cost of procedure - maybe $1.00 at most and a half hour of my time. Enough orange-indicating type silica gel beads for at least 15-20 changes cost $16. Available from "Dry and Dry" at the link on my previous post. These beads are a bit smaller than the original ones - but this is probably better (more silica-gel mass and surface area).

Could they possibly be using zeolite instead of silica? Zeolite traps more than just moisture and would also absorb some of the degassing of the batteries.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:15 PM

The beads are definitely silica gel. Zeolites are opaque with a clay-like appearance.

There is no degassing in a lithium battery unless it's case is broken and the volatile organic solvent electrolyte is leaking out.

I'm not at all sure that the smell was not from the container I had the beads in. The container was previously used to mix styrene-based plastic mender stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode