How to: Reuse your old Desiccant filter - Page 4 - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The used 2013 451 ED I bought was over due for service by 100+ days. Last week I checked the fluids, replaced the desiccant filter($55), and reset the service reminder. For the filter removal tool, I ended up looking up the Torx specification, draw and 3d printed(PLA) the required Torx T90 bit.

The desiccant in the old filter still look orange (active) and not brown (saturated). The replaced filter does have a VOC smell to it, and I forgot to check the new one for VOC smell. The smell reminded me of my old surefire flashlights with CR123A lithium batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
I finally had a nice dry day to replace the desiccant before winter set in.

1. I can verify that, in place of an expensive T-90 Torx bit, or large hex key, a plain old 14mm or 9/16 inch bolt head works perfectly for loosening and tightening the desiccant cartridge.

2. The cap on the cartridge came off easily with a small screwdriver pushing the locking tabs in one at a time while pulling it out. The old beads were dumped out and new ones were put in and the cap replaced. The cartridge was reinstalled with a little silicone plumbing grease on the threads and the gasket mating surface to assure airtghtness and prevent seizing.

3. Total cost of procedure - maybe $1.00 at most and a half hour of my time. Enough orange-indicating type silica gel beads for at least 15-20 changes cost $16. Available from "Dry and Dry" at the link on my previous post. These beads are a bit smaller than the original ones - but this is probably better (more silica-gel mass and surface area).

The beads can be dried in an oven or microwave on low and reused for a totally cost-free job, but when I tried this with the old beads, a strong organic-solvent odor was produced so I aborted the procedure. Are they absorbing something else in the battery pack besides moisture? I'll try again with the new beads in a year.
That's a real good idea to use the silicone grease on it to prevent seizing and promote air tightness. I'll have to do that on my next change. I did my first change after only 6 months. Everything looked real good. I will do it again in 6 just because I want to use the grease on it.

Thanks for the tips.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolios View Post
That's a real good idea to use the silicone grease on it to prevent seizing and promote air tightness. I'll have to do that on my next change. I did my first change after only 6 months. Everything looked real good. I will do it again in 6 just because I want to use the grease on it.

Thanks for the tips.
So you are talking about changing the beads after six months and not the entire cartridge right? A new cartridge every six months would be total overkill, but I'll be following this thread closely for your long term results. Since mine are both under warranty yet, I'm not going to go your route just yet. I'm sticking with the two year interval with a new unit - probably just have one more to go.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 17,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 10,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Yep, been changing the beads every 6 months. I got the color changing kind. So far I've had 2 changes and soon one more since I've owned the vehicle. It's definitely overkill, the beads are hardly tinted at all.
After this change I will prolly scale back. Just been making sure all is well since in another post we talk about changing beads vs cartridges and there was some concern about voiding the warranty.
Pretty confident that just changing the beads is well and fine. Adding the grease to the cartridge threads makes the change effortless.
One bag of beads for $15 will last me prolly half the life of the car easily. Prolly the life of the car if I only change them each or every other year. That's a big savings over the long haul while being extra cautious to boot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode