Smart Car of America Forum banner

Issue : Smart ED fails to move forward after backing up

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mbrown 
#1 ·
I have seen an issue three times now on the my Smart ED.

Issue:

1. Start car (with key)
2. Place selector in R to back up, move about 15 feet backwards, brake to dead stop
3. Place selector in D to drive
4. Press accelerator pedal, nothing happens

In step 4, I've seen 3 occasions where the car does not move when switching from backing up to driving forward.
The 3 incidents would be out of a total of perhaps 50+ successful attempts to back up followed by driving forward away.
The workaround is to quickly turn the car off and back on, whereupon you can drive away.

Is this a known issue, has anyone else experienced this?

#2 ·
I've experienced this, but not in the same manner. I've found that if I'm too quick to hit the accelerator after having turned the car on, that I can't move forward. At least three times I've been too fast, throwing it into drive after turning the vehicle on, and hit the pedal only to feel the frustration of no forward motion.

I've since learned that I need to be a bit slower and just do things a bit more methodically.

#10 ·
apparently, on a number of cars, the seal wasn't installed as well as it could have been and there's a leaking issue. I had taken my car back a week or so after picking it up, to get a tail gate case for the top rails to replace the case for the evse and the service tech was aware of the issue and checked the car, finding the seal to be leaking.

Dropped the car off a week later for repairing/replacing the seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.