1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hanna View Post
I may rent a dolly and tow it down myself. That would be the most cost effective route....

Unfortunately, being in Northern Nova Scotia, there are very few public stations and even fewer electric cars...
If you tow it on a dolly, make sure you put the rear wheels on the dolly, not the front ones! You then need to secure the steering wheel in a straight-ahead position with cargo-straps to the seat frame or the like.

And yeah, I've heard N. Nova Scotia is the closest thing in Canada to W. Pennsylvania or West Virginia - coal mining heritage and not very receptive to "green" things. I wish we had a beautiful sea coast and good sea food like up there though...

Last edited by Yinzer; 01-16-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Unfortunately, being in Northern Nova Scotia, there are very few public stations and even fewer electric cars. But yes, I might be able to get my hands on some electrical equipment to test it.
Ah, I was looking at your Kitchener location and thinking "surely there are many other EVs nearby..."
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsokoloff View Post
Ah, I was looking at your Kitchener location and thinking "surely there are many other EVs nearby..."
Yup, I couldn’t change that on the mobile version of the site. Still doesn’t seem to be working even thought the details are corrected in my user CP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Jim and Marc,

The fact that it charges on level 1 but not level 2 would seems to exclude a problem with the car not handling the control pilot signal properly - because it works the same on either level 1 or level 2 - the only difference is the control pilot signal duty cycle would be different to reflect the different maximum current they can provide (12A for the Smart's 120V EVSE, up to 50A for a commercial level 2 EVSE (although the Smart's on-board charger, or course will only accept about 15A).

For troubleshooting, I'd start with continuity checks between the cars charging receptacle pins and the connector at the the on-board charger end. It might be another case of wire-chafing in the right-rear quarter panel space or engine compartment problem.

The Wikipedia article on "SAE J1772" also explains the J1772 standard well.
That’s kinda’ what I’m thinking also. When I have time this weekend, I’ll take a look in there for any physical damage or wear.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:36 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'm seriously thinking that your vehicle could have a blown fuse on one of the input phases, hence disabling the 240AC charge.
I work with power electronics every day and depending on the level of the vehicle's internal charger protection, this situation is not uncommon.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also, one of my thoughts. Thanks everyone.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hi all, no updates. Still trying to get my hands on a workshop manual so I can trace the possible faults in the system.

FYI:
No error codes
I can hear the startup of the cooling system and the unique whine that immediately precedes the charging station 'click', but no charging begins.
Level 1, no issues

I'll update when I have more info.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi all, no updates. Still trying to get my hands on a workshop manual so I can trace the possible faults in the system.

FYI:
No error codes
I can hear the startup of the cooling system and the unique whine that immediately precedes the charging station 'click', but no charging begins.
Level 1, no issues

I'll update when I have more info.
I had an issue at a public charger where it would not start the charging process. I bought some Penetrox(Can be bought on Amazon ~$15) based on a users suggestion in another thread to improve the electrical connection in the charge port.
I put it on my cars charge port and then I slid the charger on and off a couple of times.
It worked. Been working ever since.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolios View Post
I had an issue at a public charger where it would not start the charging process. I bought some Penetrox(Can be bought on Amazon ~$15) based on a users suggestion in another thread to improve the electrical connection in the charge port.
I put it on my cars charge port and then I slid the charger on and off a couple of times.
It worked. Been working ever since.
Interesting.

I just started having this issue today (no 230V charging), and luckily, I think it's been gradually getting worse (now that I think about it). I remember a few times during this past winter where I had to plug the charging cable in a few times to get it to kick on, but I don't remember that ever happening at a public charger we regularly use. So it seems like it must be my L2 charging cable contacts that are the culprit, and need some deoxidation love.

I'll try to remember to report back here after I try applying something to it (e.g. Deoxit).
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Zajic View Post
Interesting.

I just started having this issue today (no 230V charging), and luckily, I think it's been gradually getting worse (now that I think about it). I remember a few times during this past winter where I had to plug the charging cable in a few times to get it to kick on, but I don't remember that ever happening at a public charger we regularly use. So it seems like it must be my L2 charging cable contacts that are the culprit, and need some deoxidation love.

I'll try to remember to report back here after I try applying something to it (e.g. Deoxit).
I just tried it, and it didn't solve the problem.

So, I guess the next thing is to check the fuses, like someone else mentioned. But I wonder if the fuse related to this is even user-accessible, or if it's something more challenging. I live out of range from the nearest dealer, so going there will to require slow-charging once somewhere (since I can't fast charge), probably overnight. Sigh.

At least while I'm there I can have them reset the "maintenance due in -5xx days" that's been bugging me for almost 2 years. LOL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode