My smart electric only shows 60 miles of range at 100% charge - Smart Car Forums
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Angry My smart electric only shows 60 miles of range at 100% charge

I charge at home and at work (level 1 and level 2). The battery shows 100% and it stops charging but the range only shows 60 miles available. Should it be showing the promised 68 miles? Sometimes after a drive a bit it goes up to 62 miles, then goes down again. Anyone experiencing the same issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Hmmm. This car is very conservative with its range indicator. The range fluctuates, but always shows less than what the car is capable of.

I've found that my car always does more than what it indicates.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Is this with AC on or off? What is your driving pattern?

The effect of AC on the estimate is dramatic (more so than it's effect on actual range). The estimate is also based on your past driving history, so if you drove fast yesterday, you get a lower estimate today, unless you reset the RESET odometer.

In warm weather, with AC off and after a RESET, mine always shows 90 miles estimate. If I didn't reset and drove a lot of highway the day before, it can be as low as ~75, going down to the mid 60's when turning the AC on.

Where does the 68 miles number come from that keeps popping up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
As always … YMMV

(your mileage may vary) … all EV's (including the EV range topper Tesla S sedan) will vary in 'actual' miles they'll get on a charge. We've owned a Nissan LEAF for about 2 1/2 years and have seen a wide range of 'available' miles in the 'tank' at 100% charge. In moderate temps, at 100% charge I've seen an indicated 118 miles of range down to about 78 miles (on real cold days) … the indicator is something the LEAF owners refer to as a GOM or (guess-o-meter).

On the smart ED, the 68 miles is the EPA range on a 100% charge so again using the variable aspect of temp, aggressive driving or not, hills, etc.; seeing an indicated 60 available isn't all that to worry about unless you need to drive an actual 68 miles … without trying to get some excessive regen going on hills, etc. you probably would cut it very close. The lower range was the single aspect that made us think twice and opt for a gasser '14 smart over the ED … it's just not enough for how we intended to use it as a 2nd EV in our household.

Lastly, to maximize battery life, most EV mfg.'s recommend only charging to 80% on most occasions (which we do on our LEAF during all weekdays; weekends we 100% charge) but I'm not sure what smart says … could be that's not a factor but if it was 54.4 range miles might be tough on some weekdays as well (as an example, all cars using a QC - quick charge high voltage connection will ONLY charge the car to 80%, smart doesn't offer a QC currently).

So bottom line -- you may want to adjust your driving style to see if the total range available changes; hopefully you don't need the max (68 miles) every day ? As an aside, we've only encountered a low battery warning when we had less than 9 miles left about 3 times; all when it was quite cold but we were within a mile of home so no worries; lots of planning and adjusting if it gets REAL cold (single digits or below zero especially) something to keep in mind when thinking about your trips.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 07:40 AM
Bohemian Moderator 451gas
SCOA Club

Thanked 5,810 Times in 3,522 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

All very helpful. Thank you. Now I understand better how the estimate works. I am going to try a RESET after a full charge to see what I get. I am trying to determine if my battery is not behaving right.

Tags
battery , range

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode