User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Regular Maintenance and Repair Beyond the Warranty

www.smarttekinfo.com is the subscription site for all smart. Pretty much the smart equivalent to www.startekinfo.com for Mercedes.

$60, plus PDF Creator (PDF Forge) and a day’s worth in front of a computer and I can pretty much download a service manual for one vehicle specific for that VIN. You put all files in a folder and then you can search by topic title.

Unfortunately it is separate so I can’t just subscribe for a Mercedes and get access to smart, sadly. (Still have one of those to complete downloading).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
www.smarttekinfo.com is the subscription site for all smart...

$60, plus PDF Creator (PDF Forge) and a day’s worth in front of a computer and I can pretty much download a service manual for one vehicle specific for that VIN. You put all files in a folder and then you can search by topic title.
Have you actually done what you are describing? How many different files will there be?

I have used ALLDATAdiy for a couple cars, but ALLDATA seems to have stopped updating this affordable service for DIY'ers - no Smart service information in it at all.

Last edited by Yinzer; 05-12-2018 at 02:25 PM.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saml01 View Post
What about the desiccant or some kind of combination filter I read somewhere?
The desiccant is available from any MB parts seller. It's replacement every 2 years is trivial - easier than changing an air filter.

Quote:
This is the kind of stuff that has me worried. If the car is setup like a john deer tractor and I need software along with hardware repairs then I have a problem.
We will probably be dependent on the Mercedes dealer's proprietary "Star" syatem for some software resetting chores to some extent

Quote:
Given the secrecy or nonavailability of this information, at this time I am knowingly accepting that at some point this car will be a throw away.
The biggest concern I have is that in a crash that triggers an air bag or seat belt tensioner, an internal pyrofuse cuts the connection to the contactor relays in the battery pack. Which, becasue the dealers are required to treat the battery pack as a "black box" with "no serviceable parts inside", effectively totals the car (replacement battery packs are over $20,000). In the case of rollovers or collisions with the car while it is parked and charging, the pack is only software-disabled and in those cases it can be reset. Note that this design is strictly MB thing. Other EV's do not have such ovrly-draconian safety measures.

Quote:
Do these cars have electric driven AC compressors or do they run off the drive motor?
How is the brake master getting its vacuum boost? Separate vacuum pump or integrated?
Does it have power steering? Electric boosted hydraulic or drive by wire?
I am assuming for heat it has a toaster in the dash?
The AC compressor is electric - powered by the high voltage DC from the traction pack. Otherwise, it is the same as IC engine Smart's AC.

The heater uses a PTC ceramic heater element which is also powered by high voltage from the traction pack. Yes, use of the heater in winter has a major impact on the car's range.

All the other accessories are 12-volt and are identical to the IC engine Smart - including a 12 volt battery mounted under the footrest area of the passenger side seat. The battery is charged with DC-DC converter in the car's motor control unit.

Vacuum for the power brakes comes from a vacuum pump mounted in the engine compartment. You will hear it periodically turn on for a few seconds upon startup and after using the brakes several times - it is the noisiest thing in the car. There are no other vacuum-actuated components in the car.

The technical overview manual in Sokolff's the "sticky" post will probably answer other question you might have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Have you actually done what you are describing? How many different files will there be?

I have used ALLDATAdiy for a couple cars, but ALLDATA seems to have stopped updating this affordable service for DIY'ers - no Smart service information in it at all.
I'll check how many files when I get home. It is tedious so I can't do it in one sitting!

Diagnostics is more with the star/xentry machine pulling diagnostics codes, then suggesting course of action. But all the procedures, ie. battery replacement, are there.

I have for my ex-gasser, including some retrofit instructions...
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Looks like 1190 files. (Looks like 1 I accidentally duplicated, or it's different somehow)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).png
Views:	39
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	39538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).png
Views:	35
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	39546  
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
Welcome to SCoA and the brave new world of Electric Vehicles.

Your are wise to do your due diligence but regardless of marquee, EV ownership comes with more unknowns than knowns?

If you accept your previously owned smart 451 ED as a low cost "purpose built" NICHE vehicle with a range of 68 miles you will be fine.

Into 4th year of ED ownership and loving it!
Any issues?

Its for my wife, she drives 5 miles round trip to work. So the range doesnt worry me. Its plenty.

Quote:

If I end up picking one up we should halvsies on a sub and rip it.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The most important information I'd like to have is how to bypass/replace the internal pyrofuse and any associated software resets needed to restore the battery pack in the event of a airbag or seat belt tensioner actuation. The idea that MB would design the car to render itself a total-loss brick from an otherwise reparable collision is a major flaw. I wonder if the 453 ED is designed similarity?
IMHO. I think if an airbag deploys it will be more expensive to fix the car then buy a new one.

Quote:
Yeah, but at least regarding my A/C problem, (probably another failed condenser/heater air temp sensor) the systems are identical save for the compressor being powered by the HV pack instead of a belt from the engine - so I was able to get the info I needed.

Note that Evilution's author does seem to have, lets just say, an attitude about the ED:

https://www.evilution.co.uk/index.ph...=info&mod=1062
Ha Ha, I read that. I'll forgive him though, I bet he just get inundated with emails from people that are looking for information. It's OK though.

How come your car keeps recurring with the same problem?
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The biggest concern I have is that in a crash that triggers an air bag or seat belt tensioner, an internal pyrofuse cuts the connection to the contactor relays in the battery pack. Which, becasue the dealers are required to treat the battery pack as a "black box" with "no serviceable parts inside", effectively totals the car (replacement battery packs are over $20,000). In the case of rollovers or collisions with the car while it is parked and charging, the pack is only software-disabled and in those cases it can be reset. Note that this design is strictly MB thing. Other EV's do not have such ovrly-draconian safety measures.
Slightly confused here. If someone bumps the car a bit to hard while its parked, I have to tow it to MB to have it 'reset' or is there an option buried in the cars trip computer?
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 05:30 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Quote:
Any issues?

Its for my wife, she drives 5 miles round trip to work. So the range doesnt worry me. Its plenty.
No issues, think of the ED motor as an "old school" Maytag.

There is a bit of a learning curve to get you beyond "range anxiety" and then it becomes a daily plug and play.

What's not to like about a full bodied temperature controlled electric go kart?
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-12-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB DNA View Post
What's not to like about a full bodied temperature controlled electric go kart?

Higher electricity bill? (Shrug)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode