User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Solar Power to Charge ED

OK so I know there are a few of you on here that have solar setup at your house that allows you to charge your ED's at no charge. I have been interested in solar for a long time but have not done the research yet and have questioned the ROI time to get set up. I have always wanted to slowly build a system and add to it as I go but not sure where to start.

With the purchase of my ED I am wanting to see what it would take to setup a system that would charge the car every day. I do not understand the math involved in calculating this out and how to determine what panels and equipment I would need. Can you guys help explain this in layman's terms? What kind of expense would a setup like this cost? Also being in the NW where it is cloudy and rainy a majority of the time in the winter, would I be able to get enough juice to charge the car each day?

For the calculation purposes I would say in a worse case scenario that I would be at 20% SOC in the dead of winter when I get home each day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart13 For This Useful Post:
EDSmarty88 (11-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:46 PM
HGB
SCOA Club

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
As far as I know the Pacific Northwest doesn't get much sun during this time of the year. So unless someone gave you many solar cells for a vast area of sqft, the mAh produced would only amount up to a trickle charge in the great scheme of things. It's just cost prohibitive.
Perhaps some one could correct me on this...
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah that is what I have thought. That is why I really didn't dig too deep into the idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to Smart13 For This Useful Post:
HGB (11-15-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
You would need a 10kW system to charge your car everyday and a 20kWh battery bank to store the electricity until you charge. You're looking at about 15,000 to 20,000 dollars if you do all the work yourself and use lead acid batteries.

I did complete study on what I needed about two years ago when I put the deposit on my ED. If you lived in florida or some sunny place like that you could easily cut down to 5kW or less.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 04:39 PM
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
A lot of the calculation depends on what you are paying per kilowatt. I have heard that rates are less expensive in the Pacific Northwest because off abundant hydro generating capacity.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
This is a futile effort, unless your solar is subsidized substantially, in which case you would still charge from a 110v or 240v home charger and just use the solar panels to feed your local electric grid to offset the cost.

Instead, just plug in, pay the electric bill, and rejoice that it s 1/5th of what your gasoline bill would have been.
The Following User Says Thank You to trooplewis For This Useful Post:
MB DNA (11-15-2013)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
PluggedSolar Can Make Electric Vehicles - Tesla, Leaf, Honda Fit, Smart Fortwo and More - Save on Fuel Cost Forever

it all depends on your location

I have a 5 KW system now and with my Volt and Smart ED my average bill is 90.00 a month.....my bill use to be between 250 and 350 a month

I plan on adding a smaller plug in model like above to reduce my bill further
as this will be on top of my new Smart ED carport as soon as it get city approval
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I'm lazy.

I pay Bullfrog Power - Canada's 100% green energy provider for 100% renewable electricity that I use to charge my Smart ED.

While this is more expensive than using my local grid, it does support renewable energy expansion, and provides a small amount of feel goodness to boot.

I am using my buying power to promote something I believe in.

My property is covered in massive mature trees, so no option for solar (I've really looked).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Solarcity free installation are all over the place now, though i donot have experience with them, just a pointer
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM
SCOA Club

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtesla View Post
PluggedSolar Can Make Electric Vehicles - Tesla, Leaf, Honda Fit, Smart Fortwo and More - Save on Fuel Cost Forever

it all depends on your location

I have a 5 KW system now and with my Volt and Smart ED my average bill is 90.00 a month.....my bill use to be between 250 and 350 a month

I plan on adding a smaller plug in model like above to reduce my bill further
as this will be on top of my new Smart ED carport as soon as it get city approval
Is your existing system a single inverter or is it micro inverter based?

I read the sales information on that system and at $2000 and 1.7kW it costs $1.18 per Watt. Today you can buy panels for $0.75 per Watt and micro inverters are $150 each. It also appears those panels only generate 9.71 Watts per sq ft compared to 18 Watts per sq ft in the market place so if you are tight on roof area this may not be the best option in the long run. It might be more cost effective to add more panels and micro inverters to your existing system. The sales information for that system calls it "breakthrough technology" when in fact is is the same technology being installed on rooftops every day by Solar City and others.

Also read your net metering agreement with SCE carefully. You may need to get SCE's permission to add capacicity.

Last edited by Ampster; 11-16-2013 at 08:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode