Smart Car of America Forum banner

When fully charged how many miles reads on dash?

12K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  Bob Denman 
#1 ·
I tried slow charging and fast charging and it seems to vary slightly no matter how it's charged. What does everyone's mile range say when charged for a full 12hrs read?
I know outside temp plays a small role.
Just trying to find average real time range once unplugged from being fully charged.

#3 ·
When fully charged, the dash will show range based on the calculated m/kWH (or km/kWH) measured by your last trip and current capacity of the battery.

In my case, at present, with temps in the 20's, I'm seeing 2.7 m/kWH (with heat usage) and around 54 miles range estimated on a full charge (BMS seems to estimate that my pack currently has about 20kWH available when fully charged).

#9 ·
If you navigate to the "RESET" menu, and reset it, the average m/kWh gets initialized to 3.9m/kWh and when you then navigate back to the main menu, with a full charge it will show the theoretical range that you would get from the battery pack if you averaged 3.9m/kWh.

I believe, at this state, you can estimate the full capacity of the battery by dividing the range indicated by 3.9. In my case, I reset it every 1000 miles, and have seen numbers as high as 111 miles range, which equates to 102 / 3.9 = 26.2 kWh, instead of the advertised spec for the pack of 17.6 kWh.

For me, it always goes down from there, as I'm not able to drive slow enough to maintain anything close to 3.9m/kWh.

After that initialize reset, the number that is shown in the morning, after a full charge is based on the average m/kWh achieved the evening before on the "start" menu. i.e. it estimates what I will get today, based what I got yesterday afternoon on my drive home from work.

#11 ·
I hope to be in your shoes in a year or two.LOL
Meanwhile my Smart usually shows 78-80 miles but I only use it for short around town trips. I love the fast acceleration and the short turning radius which gives me the ability to park in the smallest places. It is the only car my wife will take to the health club since she can always find a place to park in the very crowded parking structure.

#13 ·
66 miles on the morning after my first all night charge (the next day after picking up the car and charging it all night on 110 house power.) Dealer only charged car to 50% (I waited hours for them to get it to that) AND had to stop and blink charge for an hour on the way home.

66mph as my max range after all night charge? Does that seem low to you guys?

#15 ·
My experience is the same. My 2013 will only get about 55 miles of range if the temp outside is below 40..above that the mileage goes up considerably to as much as 75. Also, my battery tops off the same whether ding Level 1 or Level 2, it just takes a lot longer on Level 1. I leave it connected over night.

#20 ·
I wondered what the upper limit number was for the expected range on the cluster. Mine got to 90 once after my previous charge would have ended up being about 90 miles. Never, ever came close to 100 miles let alone 120+.

Okay, tell me how you got over 120 miles on a single charge. You had to have driven that whole charge at 30 mph or from the top of Pike's Peak down.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 18,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 12,000 miles

#21 ·
WOW 120 Miles!
I have only had my 2015 ED for 5 months and do mostly in town streets and freeways.
My "Guess-O-Meter" has had a high of 83 miles and averages 73 miles.
I have driven 55 miles and had 19 remaining (74), once I drove 62 miles and 11 remaining (73) but never past that!

#22 ·
Something has to off with that number? I don't think it is possible for a factory delivered electric Smart to deliver much more than 90 miles on a very good day with normal driving. At least that's what 99.9% of us see. Now the Smart will give you 120 miles per gallon when comparing the cost of gasoline to the cost of electricity as the window sticker indicates, but actually getting 120 miles on a single charge???? Maybe the cluster is set to km - that might get it close.

Len

#23 ·
Sokoloff,

I have gotten over 120 miles on a single charge 4 times (121.4 is the max from last summer) so far since I got my 2014 with 6,700 miles on it in September of 2016. Each time consisted of multiple trips to places and back home. For instance the max one had 9 trips, 8 of which were back and forth to work and one big trip of 53 miles visiting a friend. All of them have been in the summer when the temp has at least been in the 70s. I have noticed that I get higher m/KWh when the temp is higher. Avg m/KWh needs to be above 6 - the battery seems to max out at about 20 KWh when the weather is warm. Basic math then says it can be done

My driving style is fairly simple - never drive like I'm in a hurry, try to keep the power usage at no more than 25%, try to use the brakes/regenerative braking as little as possible - coast to stop signs & stop lights, look ahead & know the light systems on the roads I travel. I see it as a game - see how much I can get out of each charge and I have a short commute (less than 8 miles round trip) which allows me to push the envelope a little more.

I live in the West suburbs of Chicago, it's very flat around here
. Most all of my trips involve going less than 45mph and then only that fast for

The car can teach you how to drive more efficiently, but most people just don't want to change their driving style. I have the advantage of having driven a 2000 Honda Insight hybrid for 14 years and 170K miles with a lifetime mpg of 64.6 (according to the car). It took a while, but I learned to not be in as much of a hurry, pay attention to what is ahead, and coast whenever you can (with low rolling resistance tires it can go a lot further than the Smart does).

The engineers at Smart probably thought no one would actually drive like me, so they keep the avg m/KWh at 3.9 to start with and 90 miles of range as the absolute maximum. BTW, the lowest actual (not the car estimate, it's always higher) m/KWh I've ever gotten is 4.2 in the dead of winter in the first year I owned the car

#24 ·
That is what is referred to as "Hypermiling".
If I drove that way I'd get rear-ended, honked at, cussed at, cut-off and etc...

Now I have to say I do drive similar, easy on the pedal, not ON/Brakes/ON like all the drivers around here!, I use the pedal to control the speed, and do not use brakes much, I hold the pedal in Zero amps a lot.
I have never pushed the car too far since it has no backup once drained, 62 miles is my daily max so far.
The Smart ED does not show detailed driving usage or Kw used.

I also have a 2017 Chevy Volt which does get amazing EV Range, Factory ratings 52 miles, I get 74 miles on my Volt.
It shows Kwh as you drive and tells you stats when you turn off the car, I drive 6.4 miles/Kw very often, 5.2 is my lowest.

#25 ·
I've had my ED for 3 weeks now and more or less just use it like I would a regular car. The only gauge I use is the battery life remaining on the pod. I haven't even cycled through the dash stuff, I know it can be done, just don't see the need for it.

The estimated mileage is useless.

As far as actual range I get about 90 miles per tankful and use the car little enough to have to plug in every 8 days with about 20 percent remaining.

#27 ·
The estimated mileage is useless.

As far as actual range I get about 90 miles per tankful and use the car little enough to have to plug in every 8 days with about 20 percent remaining.
I also find the estimated mileage to be an accurate "guesstimate" driven by history and driving habits. You may want to clear the "history" so the data base is yours only???

So in PHX, AZ you drive (windows down, no A/C?) about 9 miles per day for 8 days with 18ish miles remaining? I could see that being attainable . . .

Now get off the sidewalk and put some miles on that ED! :burnout:

#26 ·
I find that my pod charge percentage compared to the mileage remaining gauge on the cluster is extremely accurate in both cars.

When you say "about 90 miles per tankful," there's a lot of leeway in that answer. Would you mind turning your gauge screen to the miles remaining/distance traveled screen and let us know what it shows as your range on a full "tankful" the next time you charge it to 100%? Your input will be good data to have for all of us to compare to ours.

Thanks.

Len

#31 ·
So are you saying that the cluster screen shows 93-99 miles on a full charge? It was mentioned above that 90 is the max. I've seen 90 once I think on mine. Usually resets to the low 80's depending on how I drove the last "fill up."

Len

#34 ·
Well, that answers the question as to whether 90 is the highest number. My guess is that it might go as high as 99? Do you ever actually see that high of a range in real life?

Thanks.

Len

#35 ·
Well, that answers the question as to whether 90 is the highest number. My guess is that it might go as high as 99? Do you ever actually see that high of a range in real life?

Thanks.

Len

Not me. I think my moms managed 92 once, but I’m usually around 65-83/4 in ideal temps. If babied the whole way and heavy traffic, I can do my 45 mile round trip commute and come home with 38-42% SOC left according to gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.