User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
451 insulation mat recall - includes diagnostic?

I'm at my local dealership for my recall appointment. I spoke with the service writer here about what exactly will be done. I noted part of the paragraph describing "What will your DEALER DO?" After describing replacement of the rear insulation mat, the last sentence in the paragraph reads "As a matter of normal service process, an authorized smart dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time." I asked if that included the diagnostic which would show, for instance, outstanding transmission firmware "measures which might be applicable to my vehicle"? He said a diagnostic would cost $175, which would include any applicable firmware updates. My recall letter says a check will be done. The verbage boldly reads "This service will be provided free of charge". Can my dealer fully and competently check for other repair measures while NOT running a diagnostic? Or may they simply visually glance around, and note only repair concerns observed visually? I suggested an included diagnostic would be an appreciated, good-will gesture, he countered that even if he ran the diagnostic, he'd have to charge me $175 to apply any firmware update. What are the experiences of others on this included "check for other repair measures" ?? BTW, I called the Mercedes Customer Service toll-free # 800-367-6372 several times from the waiting area, get Voicemail, LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll add my amusement at the hypocrisy of how Daimler worded the background for the recall (although it's puzzling that neither "smart" nor "fortwo" are capitalized. No proof-reader to capitalize YOUR BRAND & MODEL? If one didn't know better, you'd think Daimler was all white-knight & proactively protecting us from a potential safety defect.... And the letter appears to be on Mercedes letterhead, 3-point star, signed by a Christian Treiber, Vice President, Customer Services.

Note to Christian: Really? I reached voicemail 2X on the Customer Service line today @ 1pm midwest time on a Friday? And still no call back 4 hours later? Is there a sub when he/she goes on lunch or vacation?

"Daimler AG (DAG), the manufacturer of smart vehicles, has decided that a defect which relates to vehicle safety exists in certain 2008-2009 smart fortwo vehicles".

Honest? In fact, NHTSA DECIDED that a defect which relates to vehicle safety exists.... Daimler is COMPLYING with the NHTSA recall directive. Everything I've read indicated DAG examined several burnt 451 remains and could come to no conclusion as to fire origin.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM
SCOA Club

Thanked 2,412 Times in 1,428 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by den458 View Post
I'll add my amusement at the hypocrisy of how Daimler worded the background for the recall (although it's puzzling that neither "smart" nor "fortwo" are capitalized. No proof-reader to capitalize YOUR BRAND & MODEL?
History lesson - neither smart (brand) nor fortwo (model) have ever been capitalized.

Side note, smart is not a smart CAR but simply a smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by den458 View Post
After describing replacement of the rear insulation mat, the last sentence in the paragraph reads "As a matter of normal service process, an authorized smart dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time." I asked if that included the diagnostic which would show, for instance, outstanding transmission firmware "measures which might be applicable to my vehicle"? He said a diagnostic would cost $175, which would include any applicable firmware updates. My recall letter says a check will be done. The verbage boldly reads "This service will be provided free of charge".
Yes, they will provide a FREE check under the guise of safety but they are really looking for chargeable repairs on MY08/09 smarts.

NO diagnostics or software updates (beyond warranty) are FREE from Daimler/M-B/smart USA.
jwight, ca smartone and den458 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MB DNA For This Useful Post:
den458 (10-20-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Provide a free check? I didn't receive a free check of anything. I was told the tech visually didn't notice any other issues of concern. I just received a survey by email from the dealership, noting they strive to exceed my expectations. Their effort was sadly short. They made a minimal effort to do the minimal required work, with no real effort to truly evaluate what other attentions my Smart may need. We're treated like unloved step-children. My dealer stopped selling the Smart brand. They made no effort to expect me to ever return. Opportunity to dazzle me lost. Oh, well.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanked 1,220 Times in 866 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
When I type in the vin number of my 2008 smart car. The information comes up, about it now.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 AM

Thanked 1,072 Times in 696 Posts
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Garage
Another 451 burnt up in BC a couple of weeks back....
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My wife took our '08 passion in for the recall last month. Our dealer is the Madison, WI. MB dealer. After the insulation replacement the car got the Multi-Point Inspection, a check of 22 basic items on a nice form. It stated that the front tires needed replacement, front brake pads were close to needing replacement, and at some point two of the tires had been mounted on the wrong rims. No hard sell, just the facts, and very professional. No charge.
We were very satisfied.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I have checked my 2009 Smart engine rear mat and it looks as good as new.

I do not trust the dealers to do competent work and this sounds like more reasons they ARE attempting to pull money out of our pockets for unnecessary work. I think I am going to bypass the recall on my 09 Brabus...

Firmware update is the new hype to charge us for nothing needed.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:00 PM
10 Year supporting member
SCOA Club

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Garage
I agree with you, Pete. My rear mat also looks like new in my '09, but it still has a little less than 5,000 miles since I bought it new. I just don't trust the dealers to really care if they do a proper job or not.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
ive tried to get my dealer to replace my mat for the recall. they put me off, so i called the gov, agency on the recall notice and started a claim notice......my car has 146,000.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Smart Car Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

« recall | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode